• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't want to repeat what's already been said, but if you insist, yes, it *is* in fact illegal in EU. All online sales are returnable within at least 14 days, excluding custom order, plain tickets and a few others. No mention of factory seconds, final sales or any such thing.
It doesn't matter what their terms say, they cannot override the law. In fact I'm pretty sure someone here was able to strong arm then into accepting it after a long fight.
And I know what seconds are, thank you. I want to see some real examples so that I may take an educated guess at whether I want to take the chance.
Well you have to wait a year anyways before the next seconds sale. Honestly you should just buy firsts anyways, the seconds can be all over the place and the grievances you'll jump through to try to strong arm them into a return/exchange will sour you to the brand as a whole anyways.

Mirage-

Reaction score
The second part is certainly true, which is why I didn't just buy a bunch and attempt to return them later. I was hoping previous purchasers here on SF could show me some examples of this "all over the place" because their site show examples and then say most pairs aren't actually that bad...so one is left to wonder how are they.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second part is certainly true, which is why I didn't just buy a bunch and attempt to return them later. I was hoping previous purchasers here on SF could show me some examples of this "all over the place" because their site show examples and then say most pairs aren't actually that bad...so one is left to wonder how are they.
My pair of loafers from last year had a scuff on the toe box that I took care off with a suede brush and a lighter, but if they had been on grainside it would have been pretty gnarly. It was a lot of just sloppy things in last years like too much glue or run off stitches or scratches/scuffs, typical seconds stuff from any brand really.

Sinbios

Reaction score
I don't want to repeat what's already been said, but if you insist, yes, it *is* in fact illegal in EU. All online sales are returnable within at least 14 days, excluding custom order, plain tickets and a few others. No mention of factory seconds, final sales or any such thing.
It doesn't matter what their terms say, they cannot override the law. In fact I'm pretty sure someone here was able to strong arm then into accepting it after a long fight.
And I know what seconds are, thank you. I want to see some real examples so that I may take an educated guess at whether I want to take the chance.
Yeah they will grudgingly follow the law if you quote it at them and threaten legal action, but if you start off trying to be amicable and asking them to do the right thing, they'll jerk you around so much that it's not really worth the hassle for most people. That's how they get away with policies that are blatantly illegal most of the time.

If you do decide to take a chance and end up disappointed, I suggest you start with the legal angle off the bat instead of relying on their resolution channels. Otherwise they'll probably not respond for a few weeks, then get you to ship the shoes back and forth over a few months, and eventually ship them back to you after concluding there's nothing wrong with them, hoping you'll have lost interest in the mean time.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

factory seconds review apparently. I don't buy Meermin firsts, but would definitely not buy seconds but that's just me.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes a really special person, to contemplate buying factory second products online, and then complain about the possibility of the product not meeting their expectations ahead of the order. ?

Sinbios

Reaction score
It takes a really special person, to contemplate buying factory second products online, and then complain about the possibility of the product not meeting their expectations ahead of the order. ?
I mean, there have been cases where shoes sold as factory seconds were so obviously defective they shouldn't have been sold at all, it's not unfair to wonder how often that happens with Meermin and what remedies one has if that turned out to be the case. Should consumers not have any expectations of quality standards for stuff sold as factory seconds? Could a company just stamp anything as factory seconds to disavow all responsibility? In that case it's wise to just avoid them altogether as others said.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case it's wise to just avoid them altogether as others said.
I mean, this all seems fairly obvious but hey, I ain’t mad at you my man….
93DBD0F1-CAA9-4D32-969C-B45886FFDF24.gif

Taracta

Reaction score
I mean, there have been cases where shoes sold as factory seconds were so obviously defective they shouldn't have been sold at all, it's not unfair to wonder how often that happens with Meermin and what remedies one has if that turned out to be the case. Should consumers not have any expectations of quality standards for stuff sold as factory seconds? Could a company just stamp anything as factory seconds to disavow all responsibility? In that case it's wise to just avoid them altogether as others said.
It is implied that when buying seconds that the shoes are free from "defects" that would compromise its structure and thus make them unwearable. If you are willing to live with the possibility of other "defects" then you can take your chances with seconds, if not then don't as you are always buying "defective" shoes. Your tolerance of these "defects" and the price are what makes buying these shoes a good buy or a bad buy. I don't know if deliberately buying seconds "defective" will count as custom but IANAL.

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is implied that when buying seconds that the shoes are free from "defects" that would compromise its structure and thus make them unwearable. If you are willing to live with the possibility of other "defects" then you can take your chances with seconds, if not then don't as you are always buying "defective" shoes. Your tolerance of these "defects" and the price are what makes buying these shoes a good buy or a bad buy. I don't know if deliberately buying seconds "defective" will count as custom but IANAL.
I suppose a solution would be to give grades to the seconds. Like Grade 1 minor cosmetic defect, Grade 2 scratch etc.

But yes they are seconds for a reason so you make a conscious choice when you buy one. If you are too nervous it's probably best to skip imo.

Bacharini

Reaction score
Sizing question for those who own Meermin: Do you buy the same size as your sneakers and/or bannock device measurement? I went down half a size and regret it. It seems to me they fit tts (same as most sneakers/tennis shoes and bannock).
The main reason I would advise not going down half a size as is commonly recommend with GYW shoes is they are narrow so if your foot is wide at all in the forefoot or toes it will not work.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing question for those who own Meermin: Do you buy the same size as your sneakers and/or bannock device measurement? I went down half a size and regret it. It seems to me they fit tts (same as most sneakers/tennis shoes and bannock).
The main reason I would advise not going down half a size as is commonly recommend with GYW shoes is they are narrow so if your foot is wide at all in the forefoot or toes it will not work.
Brannock is just an indicator and Sneakers will rarely give you your proper size. When people mail me about those things or include their actual measurements I usually decline a sale. If you have no other dress shoes to compare, even some cheap ones you might have to gamble a bit. I would recommend going to the closest Allen Edmonds mall or ordering a pair and returning if they don't fit you or something as they provide an excellent reference on sizing for most welted brands.

My 2 cents tho.

Bacharini

Reaction score
Brannock is just an indicator and Sneakers will rarely give you your proper size. When people mail me about those things or include their actual measurements I usually decline a sale. If you have no other dress shoes to compare, even some cheap ones you might have to gamble a bit. I would recommend going to the closest Allen Edmonds mall or ordering a pair and returning if they don't fit you or something as they provide an excellent reference on sizing for most welted brands.

My 2 cents tho.
That is essentially what I did and they don't fit. I have some Johnston and Murphy, Spier and Mackay, and Thursday boots all in 11. They fit. Meermin in 11 doesn't fit.
I am mainly posting this for those who have yet to make a purchase and are trying to find their size. I guess my point is that the few GYW shoes I have tried run bigger than the Meermin I have tried, and was wondering if this is the case for others.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is essentially what I did and they don't fit. I have some Johnston and Murphy, Spier and Mackay, and Thursday boots all in 11. They fit. Meermin in 11 doesn't fit.
I am mainly posting this for those who have yet to make a purchase and are trying to find their size. I guess my point is that the few GYW shoes I have tried run bigger than the Meermin I have tried, and was wondering if this is the case for others.
Ah. Well of course it can happen yes. It also depends on the last. Which last did you try on Meermin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics