• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
hmmm…I have to say I’m confused by your post; you do realize you’re using a layman’s explanation of what they are offering, and making a conclusion here right? And, as for Meermin making cheap shoes for us…well that’s kinda their business model, so……?

if I'm offending you, my apologies... no, I, in layman's terms explained what you say they did! and i was having fun saying you really expect them to admit it?

making cheap shoes "while saying (implying, just like every other shoemaker), they are the best leathers available..." so what other answer would you expect them to say aside from describing in vague terms that the cordovan is great(est), and we, thinking it is anything less than perfect, are completely wrong?

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm…I have to say I’m confused by your post; you do realize you’re using a layman’s explanation of what they are offering, and making a conclusion here right? And, as for Meermin making cheap shoes for us…well that’s kinda their business model, so……?
Thank You For Being There For Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Davakint

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone else had any trouble with sizing with Meermin?

I am having an awful lot of bad luck with shoes and getting the correct size it seems.

I own a pair of chelseas of another brand in size 9.5 I needed to upgrade since they really were too small, and I stubbornly kept walking on them for ages. So my eye fell on the copper antique chelseas of Meermin, to be sure I ordered them in a UK10.5 should be fine right? Measured my foot and if I'd follow the sizing on the website I'd have to stick with a 9.5 according to them.

On a sidenote, any takers for a 10.5 copper antique chelseas? Since appearantly I am not able to exchange a sale item, must've missed that while ordering.

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_201008.jpg
    IMG_20210428_201008.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 134

Rimaarts

Reaction score

I am having an awful lot of bad luck with shoes and getting the correct size it seems.

I own a pair of chelseas of another brand in size 9.5 I needed to upgrade since they really were too small, and I stubbornly kept walking on them for ages. So my eye fell on the copper antique chelseas of Meermin, to be sure I ordered them in a UK10.5 should be fine right? Measured my foot and if I'd follow the sizing on the website I'd have to stick with a 9.5 according to them.

On a sidenote, any takers for a 10.5 copper antique chelseas? Since appearantly I am not able to exchange a sale item, must've missed that while ordering.
brand and last dependant. trickers I'm 10-10.5, loake I'm mostly 10.5, meermin I'm stable 11, mecariello I'm 11.5wide, and yeossal I'm 10.5 wide or 11...

Davakint

Reaction score
brand and last dependant. trickers I'm 10-10.5, loake I'm mostly 10.5, meermin I'm stable 11, mecariello I'm 11.5wide, and yeossal I'm 10.5 wide or 11...

Thanks for the reply, would you mind comparing your feet measurements with mine? Perhaps I can make an estimated guess based on that.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if I'm offending you, my apologies... no, I, in layman's terms explained what you say they did! and i was having fun saying you really expect them to admit it?

making cheap shoes "while saying (implying, just like every other shoemaker), they are the best leathers available..." so what other answer would you expect them to say aside from describing in vague terms that the cordovan is great(est), and we, thinking it is anything less than perfect, are completely wrong?
lol, well thank you for that…clarification?

No, I was not offended, just confused by your response. I was not able to find any evidence of your previous assertions, nor any for your latest assertions.
But, no worries carry on, I’m often confused.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As @Rimaarts mentioned, it really is maker and last dependent. It’s one of the joys of internet GYW shoe orders, trying to figure out your size. When I first started, I ordered more than a few wrong sizes, before I deciphered my foot sizing as it relates to a particular last. But, even with all that, I still occasionally screw up and get my sizing wrong. It’s just part of the shoe game.

Rimaarts

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, would you mind comparing your feet measurements with mine? Perhaps I can make an estimated guess based on that.
unless the same person is measuring, measurements can differ a bunch. very roughly measuring I can get 11-12cm width and around 28.5 length...

but one think I've learned is, if you can't try on shoes in person, be ready to take a loss on new maker! my first meermins cost me 50£ to find my size selling on ebay, my first mecariello cost me almost 100£ for exchange.. think of it as a trial shoe! you've already ordered and paid, and can't return, so no point in stressing before you try them on...it's not like they are 700£ shoes...

Rimaarts

Reaction score
As @Rimaarts mentioned, it really is maker and last dependent. It’s one of the joys of internet GYW shoe orders, trying to figure out your size. When I first started, I ordered more than a few wrong sizes, before I deciphered my foot sizing as it relates to a particular last. But, even with all that, I still occasionally screw up and get my sizing wrong. It’s just part of the shoe game.

and the most annoying part is, occasionally sizes(not just shoes) differ.. A LOT! for example trickers stows and one particular c&j last I can wear 10, but mecariello I'm 11.5 wide fit... normally I wear Ralph Lauren l slim fit polos but yeossal I will have to place my order for xxxl polo...

Davakint

Reaction score
Fair enough, perhaps they're generous and don't mind exchanging them for a larger size. Else perhaps Ebay with a minimal loss, reckon I'll just order a bunch of regulars to get the size right I think.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on newly waxed shell cordovan from an "undisclosed family owned" tannery?

Also seems odd to me that it is relatively cheaper than any other shell boot.

After reading their webpage, for the price I would take a chance and find out what they are, however I'm still waiting on my Marbled Shell that was supposed to ship this month, I gambled on size on those and dont wanna gamble agian, if I had the other boots in hand and knew if I needed to go up or down I would bite.

Guess I'm waiting for their next cool shell drop

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have first hand experience with the ROD last? The site advises one should take the same size as one takes in HOK.

Similar to another poster, I also have a pair of the suede ultraflex shoes on the ROD last, although I have a pair of bluchers, rather than chukka boots. I have a couple of pairs of boots on the HOK last.

I take the same size - UK9 - in both lasts.

When I initially received my ROD shoes, they felt a bit snug and I was concerned that I should have gone up half-a-size. However, after a couple of hours of wearing them, they softened up and the innersole compacted a bit and now the fit is brilliant - if I'd gone up half-a-size, they would definitely have been too big for me once they softened up.

The HOK boots, on the other hand, were fine from the very beginning. HOK is a more voluminous, or generous, last which is both longer and has more room around the foot.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to another poster, I also have a pair of the suede ultraflex shoes on the ROD last, although I have a pair of bluchers, rather than chukka boots. I have a couple of pairs of boots on the HOK last.

I take the same size - UK9 - in both lasts.

When I initially received my ROD shoes, they felt a bit snug and I was concerned that I should have gone up half-a-size. However, after a couple of hours of wearing them, they softened up and the innersole compacted a bit and now the fit is brilliant - if I'd gone up half-a-size, they would definitely have been too big for me once they softened up.

The HOK boots, on the other hand, were fine from the very beginning. HOK is a more voluminous, or generous, last which is both longer and has more room around the foot.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I’ve got several on the HOK but none on the ROD, took a mistake to get myself squared on the HOK, so wanted to attempt to avoid a mistake this go round. The HOK is super comfortable for my widish foot.

I like this newest iteration of experimentation with Shell, so took a chance 1/2 size down on the jumper and NST. They’re so cheap, it won’t be a big deal if I guessed wrong. Personally, I like how these shoe companies keep coming up with new and interesting ways to present shell. First we had shaved, now we have waxed to experiment with.

Edmund K

Reaction score
lol, well thank you for that…clarification?

No, I was not offended, just confused by your response. I was not able to find any evidence of your previous assertions, nor any for your latest assertions.
But, no worries carry on, I’m often confused.

Waiting for the highly anticipated narrative from Meermin on the cheap shell cordovan. I expect nothing less than Viberg on their new leather

From Viberg's website:

"Horween Wooly" is a variation of Chromexcel that is stuffed with a heavy blend of unrefined lanolin, or “wool grease”, which is a bi-product of wool production. Stuffing the leather with this heavy lanolin produces a very oily, “self-polishing”, leather that easily molds to the shape of the foot once it’s been heat-activated by wear, and broken in.

The oily texture produced by the lanolin stuffing does not bind to any glues or cement and, therefore, Wooly can only be used in footwear that employs traditional attachment methods like Stitchdown, Goodyear, and Blake construction.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It could be Lis Royale/Rocinante which is a family owned South American tannery that produces shell. Or patrick is right and these are shells from Horween that weren't up to spec. Horween has done some different things with shells that weren't visually up to spec to made into Shell Cordovan, usually tumbling, or tumbling and plating, etc.

Of the 8 shell tanneries I'm familiar with, 4 are Italian, 1 is Japanese, 1 is North American, 1 is English, and 1 is South American.

Just curious, I'm not familiar with the plating terminology. Are you talking about grain printed shell? Or shaved/marbled/etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads