• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

joman8390

Reaction score
How would you compare the Rocado shell vs Horween and Shiki? What is it you don't like with Rocado? Thanks
Horween is definitely a cut above in both color depth and feel. I find the Rocado to be both a bit stiff and dull colored when compared to Horween. Shinki is better than Rocado color wise but still not Horween and it is notorious for micro creasing instead of the classic rolling that Horween does. In short the upcharge for Horween is well worth it, unless you’re looking for a special color/pattern which is only available in Rocado.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you a 8.5 UK in hiro? I’m also debating if I should go with my usual size or .5 down.
Yep UK8.5, so I went to UK8 this go round. We’ll see how this one works out.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you compare the Rocado shell vs Horween and Shiki? What is it you don't like with Rocado? Thanks
I agree with everything @joman8390 said, in addition I find both the Japanese and Italian shell to be quite dry. It’s nothing a lot of Bick4 can’t remedy, but it does take quite a few applications to get past the dryness. But for me it’s all good, because I really, really like shell.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Yep UK8.5, so I went to UK8 this go round. We’ll see how this one works out.
with semi structured toe, you are going to have less vertical room for your toes, I was thinking of going for UK8, then i realize i need to size up for the unstructured toe. At least for viberg and truman's last

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with semi structured toe, you are going to have less vertical room for your toes, I was thinking of going for UK8, then i realize i need to size up for the unstructured toe. At least for viberg and truman's last
Interesting, I wondered about that. I decided the the width was the most important factor for me to consider. Additionally, their images of their trial pair, give the impression the material used on the toe isn’t completely unstructured.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Horween is definitely a cut above in both color depth and feel. I find the Rocado to be both a bit stiff and dull colored when compared to Horween. Shinki is better than Rocado color wise but still not Horween and it is notorious for micro creasing instead of the classic rolling that Horween does. In short the upcharge for Horween is well worth it, unless you’re looking for a special color/pattern which is only available in Rocado.

I'll be contrary - I prefer Rocado to Shinki. To me, the Shinki shell seems to have a shiny coating on it. This means that it doesn't seem to develop the same depth of colour as other shell, and can also show some creasing (a bit similar to corrected-grain leather) as opposed to smooth rolls of other shell cordovan.

While the Rocado shell is duller than the Shinki shell at first, a few good brushing sessions bring up a really nice glow in the Rocado shell, and it has more depth of colour. I find the Rocado shell to be similar to the version of Horween shell used by Carmina.

So my shell preference is firstly Horween, then Rocado, then Shinki.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
I'll be contrary - I prefer Rocado to Shinki. To me, the Shinki shell seems to have a shiny coating on it. This means that it doesn't seem to develop the same depth of colour as other shell, and can also show some creasing (a bit similar to corrected-grain leather) as opposed to smooth rolls of other shell cordovan.

While the Rocado shell is duller than the Shinki shell at first, a few good brushing sessions bring up a really nice glow in the Rocado shell, and it has more depth of colour. I find the Rocado shell to be similar to the version of Horween shell used by Carmina.

So my shell preference is firstly Horween, then Rocado, then Shinki.
Doesn't Rocado have similar micro creasing?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Rocado have similar micro creasing?

I only have one pair of boots in Rocado but no, not in my experience. My Rocado shell boots (from a previous Meermin MTO) have really nice rolls.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are photos of it on pages 1274 and 1283.

I think that can choose how many posts appear on a page (at least, you used to be able to, although I'm not sure if that is still the case), so page numbers may not be the same for everyone.

Here are links to some posts with pics of Shinki shell:

rob g

Reaction score
Just for fun, here's a pic of the Shinki Olive shell boots on HOK I've been wearing to help decide if I'm content with the fit
20210401_125341.jpg

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys who else is excited for the door bell to ring right now waiting for marbled shell

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics