• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the shell shoes I received from meermin. The left shoes creases perfectly to line up to my metatarsal point, but the right shoe does not, when i tried it, it self crease just below the cap toe that creates a fold, when I walk it scrape against my ball joint.

Kinda of like this picture
Left shoe is a big crease across the ball joint, but right is creasing all over the place

Is this normal?

Also the inside of my right shoe is burnt? I can feel craters near the toe area.

There's no such thing as normal creasing/rolling for shell. Shell rolls and how it will roll is anyone's guess. Both boots are fine. You won't get symmetry in rolling/creasing no matter what really and it's not something to worry about/won't matter to the uppers longevity.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
There's no such thing as normal creasing/rolling for shell. Shell rolls and how it will roll is anyone's guess. Both boots are fine. You won't get symmetry in rolling/creasing no matter what really and it's not something to worry about/won't matter to the uppers longevity.

Ok thanks, so the pain will go away then?

People complain about how stiff meermin is, i find about the same as other GYW/Stitchdown shoes. I recall my Iron ranger break in was just brutal, getting cuts/bruise all over the place, this pair of meermin is heaven compare to IR

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the shell shoes I received from meermin. The left shoes creases perfectly to line up to my metatarsal point, but the right shoe does not, when i tried it, it self crease just below the cap toe that creates a fold, when I walk it scrape against my ball joint.

Kinda of like this picture
Left shoe is a big crease across the ball joint, but right is creasing all over the place

Is this normal?

Also the inside of my right shoe is burnt? I can feel craters near the toe area.

You could try the following tip on the cordovan creasing placement:

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, so the pain will go away then?

People complain about how stiff meermin is, i find about the same as other GYW/Stitchdown shoes. I recall my Iron ranger break in was just brutal, getting cuts/bruise all over the place, this pair of meermin is heaven compare to IR
I read the scrape comment, is it pressure or is it moving across? No footwear should cause physical pain when being broken in. If that's the case you probably had the wrong size for your IRs or the no. 8 last just doesn't work for you. I have had 0 pain with my meermin shell boots and 0 pain with shell in general. What's your brannock and what size did you take/what last?

lfzhao5

Reaction score
I read the scrape comment, is it pressure or is it moving across? No footwear should cause physical pain when being broken in. If that's the case you probably had the wrong size for your IRs or the no. 8 last just doesn't work for you. I have had 0 pain with my meermin shell boots and 0 pain with shell in general. What's your brannock and what size did you take/what last?

Hok last fit is perfect for my E width foot. I took 8.5UK, I wear 9E/9.5D in Barrie. IR pain just from wearing really thin socks and upper being super duper stiff. It's the pressure from the shell folding. Maybe the picture below might help trying to explain this problem.

The pain come from the folding on the right shoe, I guess it folds invertly ? it creates extra pad and it robs just above the ball of big toe. While the left shoe has zero issues, as the vamp fold according to my ball joint, as oppose to random inverted fold below the cap toe area. When I first put it on, that is the first area that decide to fold without barely flexing.

Attachments

• 20210222_190642.jpg
    20210222_190642.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 154

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hok last fit is perfect for my E width foot. I took 8.5UK, I wear 9E/9.5D in Barrie. IR pain just from wearing really thin socks and upper being super duper stiff. It's the pressure from the shell folding. Maybe the picture below might help trying to explain this problem.

The pain come from the folding on the right shoe, I guess it folds invertly ? it creates extra pad and it robs just above the ball of big toe. While the left shoe has zero issues, as the vamp fold according to my ball joint, as oppose to random inverted fold below the cap toe area. When I first put it on, that is the first area that decide to fold without barely flexing.
So its rubbing from the deep fold there. There's a spoon method you can look up to smooth out the rolls on shell to try resetting the deep crease there, and hoping that you'll form a better one.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
So its rubbing from the deep fold there. There's a spoon method you can look up to smooth out the rolls on shell to try resetting the deep crease there, and hoping that you'll form a better one.

Yea it's weird, like it has sort of memory of its own. When I first put on, it just want to do that slanted fold.

I'll try to spoon it and see.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea it's weird, like it has sort of memory of its own. When I first put on, it just want to do that slanted fold.

I'll try to spoon it and see.
You could try a combination of resetting with spoon and then doing mercurio's tip as well.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just something from my similar experience. From where the folds are forming I suspect the boots are too long. I had a fold exactly like this on a pair of boots that were a bit too long for me. The pinching on the top of my toes was god awful painful. I had to let them go, because there was no way I could deal with that amount of pain when wearing them.

lfzhao5

Reaction score
Just something from my similar experience. From where the folds are forming I suspect the boots are too long. I had a fold exactly like this on a pair of boots that were a bit too long for me. The pinching on the top of my toes was god awful painful. I had to let them go, because there was no way I could deal with that amount of pain when wearing them.

Interesting, was this for both feet? I am just getting this for the right, left is perfectly fine.

I posted a tip just a few entries above, that you didn't read.

I see now, thanks!

Tried that method as well as the Grant stone method, doesn't really help at all, the right one just want to do the its own folding thing lol. Going to spoon the crap out of it and see if I can force it to crease like my left shoe.

iva80

Reaction score
Like previous comment, shoes are too long. Happened to me before. It could go away or not.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Figured there would ability to choose last and CXL as option as @Meermin stated before
Hello there Sir!
We didn't add CHROMEXCEL to the event due to we have not much of it left right now!
Send me a message with your details and your creation and i'm sure we will be able to work something out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads