• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freoguitar

Reaction score
I find that you’re not alone, the Skinki shell has different, less favorable properties than Horween shell.
Thanks for that. I guess one lives and learns. After a few more coats of Saphir Cordovan Shoe Cream, it has now started to hold the pigment.

Freoguitar

Reaction score
What you are experiencing is reality, the realization you can’t have shell at the quality of Horween shell, at drastically reduced prices.

All of my Shinki shell boots/shoes from Meermin, are much dryer than my Horween shell shoes/boots. I add Bick or Lexol, depending on shell color. Darker colors get Lexol, lighter colors get Bick. The Lexol helps with the dryness better than Bick, but since Lexol darkens, I won’t use it on my lighter shell. Unfortunately, my experience has been while the conditioners help greatly, the affect is temporary. So, I continue to add conditioner as they exhibit dryness.
Thanks for that. As I mentioned above, the Saphir cream seems to be doing the trick for now. I'll post an update if things change dramatically.

zanci

Reaction score
It really depends, shinki for me is really good, perhaps a lucky purchase. Not dry at all, very shiny. On the other hand, rocado shell is dry...

Henrickus

Reaction score
Loafers:
If I'm a 9 1/2 in a Ron, am I the same size in a Hiro?
Thanks in advance

mux8

Reaction score
I emailed Meermin and told them I wear a size 7.5UK in the Hiro, and asked for suggestions for the Hok last. They said I should order a 6.5UK in the Hok last. This is very surprising. Should I take their suggestion?

Edit: They corrected themselves and suggested a size 7UK.

I'm also still worried since the size 7UK did not work in the Rui last.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I emailed Meermin and told them I wear a size 7.5UK in the Hiro, and asked for suggestions for the Hok last. They said I should order a 6.5UK in the Hok last. This is very surprising. Should I take their suggestion?

I wear 10D in Allen Edmonds 511 last and 9.5E in their 65 last. I wear 10D in most Alden except 9.5D on Barrie, Modified, and TruBalance. I wear a 9UK in Carmina Detroit (their widest).

I ordered my first pair of Meermin's, a GMTO, in a 9UK HOK and it is least 1 size too large so now I am stuck with a pair of shoes I cannot return. My advice is to make sure you can return them because I, as well as any others, have found the HOK runs very large so it may take a few tries to find a good fit.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers:
If I'm a 9 1/2 in a Ron, am I the same size in a Hiro?
Thanks in advance
I wear 8 in Ron tassels (snug at first) and 8,5 in Hiro Unlined Strings (loose at first but perfect for my likings I prefer a looser fit even in loafers)
Hiro is longer and narrower compared
For reference I wear 8,5 in 325 and 314 CJ loafer last

Mihai B.

Reaction score

I'm surprised they've suggested you to take half size down considering that 7uk RUI does not fit you well. I have almost the same situation, 8.5uk HIRo are ok, 8uk RUI does not fit.
Meermin wrote me to take 8.5uk HOK. Some users advice to take the same size, others say HOK runs bigger than hiro/rui. Hopefully next week I will try hok last. 8uk HOK vs 8.5uk HIRO.

mux8

Reaction score
I'm surprised they've suggested you to take half size down considering that 7uk RUI does not fit you well. I have almost the same situation, 8.5uk HIRo are ok, 8uk RUI does not fit.
Meermin wrote me to take 8.5uk HOK. Some users advice to take the same size, others say HOK runs bigger than hiro/rui. Hopefully next week I will try hok last. 8uk HOK vs 8.5uk HIRO.

Ok please report back because I'm interested in how you find the fit. For me, I'm 100% both a 7.5 UK in both Hiro and Rui. I'm worried that the Hok is going to be substatially larger than the Rui last.

AltNameTK

Reaction score
I have Meermin shoes in Hiro, Rui, and Hok. I have 8UK in both Hiro and Rui and 7.5UK in Hok.

I like the Rui pair fitting best, because it's slightly roomy and fits perfectly with slightly thick socks, like the Anonymousism ones I prefer. It's slightly long but that's OK.

My 7.5UK Hok fits similar to my 8UK Rui. The biggest difference is that the Hok has even more volume, height-wise, and is slightly narrower around the toes.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
I have Meermin shoes in HOK and have tried both RUI and HIRO at the store. I'm a 10D/E US Brannock with flat feet and somewhat low volume.

The 9 UK RUI fit me perfectly when I tried it on with medium socks but 9 UK in HIRO felt painfully tight around the mid-foot when wearing the same sock. I needed 9.5 UK in HIRO to fit my width.

For HOK I actually have pairs in both 8.5 and 9 UK. Out of the box, 8.5 is about as tight in the width as I can go and I can wear them with thick or thin socks, requiring a bit of initial break in. The 9 UK pair requires both a tongue pad and 3/4 length insert to occupy enough volume so that the facings don't overlap when I tighten the shoe. In terms of width 9 UK is a comfortable, relaxed (not loose) fit.

Some other brands I have owned:
Alden: Barrie - 9.5D
Allen Edmonds: 10D or 10E depending on the last. Dress shoe lasts are either 10E or just don't work for me, roomier boot lasts are 10D
Grant Stone: Leo - 9.5D for CXL/suede, but I needed 9.5E for calf because 9.5D was too tight.
Rancourt: 9.5E
Viberg: 2030 - 9.5 (worn with tongue pad because a bit too much volume)

Last edited:

_dm_so_

Reaction score
I have Meermin shoes in HOK and have tried both RUI and HIRO at the store. I'm a 10D/E US Brannock with flat feet and somewhat low volume.

The 9 UK RUI fit me perfectly when I tried it on with medium socks but 9 UK in HIRO felt painfully tight around the mid-foot when wearing the same sock. I needed 9.5 UK in HIRO to fit my width.

For HOK I actually have pairs in both 8.5 and 9 UK. Out of the box, 8.5 is about as tight in the width as I can go and I can wear them with thick or thin socks, requiring a bit of initial break in. The 9 UK pair requires both a tongue pad and 3/4 length insert to occupy enough volume so that the facings don't overlap when I tighten the shoe. In terms of width 9 UK is a comfortable, relaxed (not loose) fit.

Some other brands I have owned:
Alden: Barrie - 9.5D
Allen Edmonds: 10D or 10E depending on the last. Dress shoe lasts are either 10E or just don't work for me, roomier boot lasts are 10D
Grant Stone: Leo - 9.5D for CXL/suede, but I needed 9.5E for calf because 9.5D was too tight.
Rancourt: 9.5E
Viberg: 2030 - 9.5 (worn with tongue pad because a bit too much volume)
Thank you, that's very helpful!

behappy

Reaction score
Regarding fit between Rois and other lasts.
I have an 11.5 on Rois, where the toe width is good but the heel is slightly slipping/too wide. What size would you recommend for Hiro, Rui and loafers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads