• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Hi @Meermin, I've had these shell cordovan boots for 3 months now and worn them a bunch, but the right boot still manages to chafe my ankle raw even after a short walk while wearing thick socks. The heel stiffener rubs against my ankle bone constantly, and there's some odd creasing in the leather at the ankle which makes me think the heel stiffener is too large maybe?

I know Meermin shoes have a reputation for a hard break-in, but these should be broken in by now, and with the way the stiffener juts out I'm not sure if it ever will be comfortable. Any advice or anything you can do to help with this?

Attachments

• 20201028_153152.jpg
    20201028_153152.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 20201028_152811.jpg
    20201028_152811.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201028_153108.jpg
    20201028_153108.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 130

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Hi @Meermin, I've had these shell cordovan boots for 3 months now and worn them a bunch, but the right boot still manages to chafe my ankle raw even after a short walk while wearing thick socks. The heel stiffener rubs against my ankle bone constantly, and there's some odd creasing in the leather at the ankle which makes me think the heel stiffener is too large maybe?

I know Meermin shoes have a reputation for a hard break-in, but these should be broken in by now, and with the way the stiffener juts out I'm not sure if it ever will be comfortable. Any advice or anything you can do to help with this?
You probably are just not used to goodyear welted shoes. Meermin are a really good value. Not all lasts work for everyone, maybe you just got the wrong size. /S

Seriously though, the heel blisters happened to me on all of the Meermin pairs I have and now keep bandaids with me for the ones I still wear.

WSB17

Reaction score

Just wondering, which last is this ?
I had a similar issue, not as bad as this though, with both of Meermin boots (calf, and Shinki shell), both on the HOK last.
They did break in eventually over 20 wears or so.

But I do consider this to be a function of the stiff hard leather that Meermin uses, that seems to require dozens of wears and occasional conditioning to break in.

Sinbios

Reaction score
Just wondering, which last is this ?
I had a similar issue, not as bad as this though, with both of Meermin boots (calf, and Shinki shell), both on the HOK last.
They did break in eventually over 20 wears or so.

But I do consider this to be a function of the stiff hard leather that Meermin uses, that seems to require dozens of wears and occasional conditioning to break in.

Yep, HOK last.

Potatoe

Reaction score

The break in seems to vary drastically from shoe to shoe.

I had a pair of Suade boots and Chromex boots, with zero break in. Then I had a pair of Longwings and a cap toe where it was tough. Mind you the captoes in particular were a half size small at least.

The boots were both roomy which may be the reason. I think with Merrmin if your shoe is on the smaller side, you are going to suffer.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue with any. Only ones that are stiff are a pair of cordovan boots but I have had cordovan from various makers that have troubled me equally.
I’ve cxl Meermin which are a dream. The Shinki shell I’ve got was comfortable straight away.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Sinbios - I don't know if it will help, but I was having some pain and issues with the shaft on my Meermin shell cordovan boots (although not as bad as you - thankfully, mine weren't cutting my skin!).

After I gently flexed and twisted the shafts of the boots back and forth for about five minutes for each boot, it started to improve. I've now done that a few times and it's a great improvement - see my post below.

So, although everyone's feet are different and shoes/boots fit differently as a result, I thought that this might help with your situation, too.

I thought I would provide an update to my earlier post.

A few weeks ago, I received a pair of split-toe boots in shell cordovan, from the last custom boot weekend. As I noted, the boots fit my feet very well, but the shafts of the boots were very, very stiff and, as a result, the boots were difficult to lace up and painful to wear. They were so uncomfortable that I was concerned that they would be unwearable.

To try to resolve the problem, I gently massaged the shafts of both boots, including flexing the shafts back and forth for about five minutes per boot.

It made an enormous difference. After bending and flexing the shell cordovan shafts, they became much softer and more flexible. I walked 4km while wearing the boots today, without any discomfort at all.

I can highly recommend massaging your (boot) shafts if you are feeling any stiffness and discomfort! :smarmy:

Sinbios

Reaction score
Only ones that are stiff are a pair of cordovan boots but I have had cordovan from various makers that have troubled me equally.

My Aldens and Carminas don't have this issue though. I still feel like it's got more to do with the size and shape of the heel counter than the leather itself.

After I gently flexed and twisted the shafts of the boots back and forth for about five minutes for each boot, it started to improve. I've now done that a few times and it's a great improvement - see my post below.

Yeah I've done that multiple times as well. It helped with the stiffness in the shaft which used to chafe my calves as well, but not the chafing against the ankle.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
My Aldens and Carminas don't have this issue though. I still feel like it's got more to do with the size and shape of the heel counter than the leather itself.

Yeah I've done that multiple times as well. It helped with the stiffness in the shaft which used to chafe my calves as well, but not the chafing against the ankle.
Alden and Carmina use Horween so I can’t speak to that as all the ones I have are from every other tannery but! ?

my advice is move em on and chalk up to not for you. I’ve persisted like you and to what end?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh oh, look what the cat dragged in...the much maligned issue of the very late, Olive shell, shearling lined boots, has been resolved. More imagery tomorrow when daylight returns. They were supposed to be Olive, unfortunately they are more like the batch you got @Crafty Cumbrian, overwhelmingly brown. I have to to say, I know it’s not Horween, but $480 bucks for these is a just a ridiculous bargain.
EC826061-FE54-4AD2-8B86-F0EF93852A50.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads