• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Looking for some feedback from long time Meermin owners.

I placed my first order, and first MTO order, with Meermin at the end of August and the shoes had an "Estimated October" ship date. I emailed yesterday and asked about status since it has been about 8 weeks, we are very near to the end of October, and I have heard nothing, not even an email update.

They responded and said it would be 20 more days. I asked if that meant 20 calendar days (about 3 weeks) or 20 Business days (about 4 weeks) and how I could cancel the order, if I wanted to, because they are going to miss the deadline. They responded and said there was a production problem, they are remaking the shoes, and they should be ready by the 2nd week of November.

They even updated my order to include a shoe horn and a waxing brush which I find funny because I have too many shoe horns now and I am not sure why they would send a waxing brush "to take care of your new Meermin Pair" when I ordered suede shoes.
  • Are MTOs from Meermin often late? And how late usually?
  • Has anyone had success working with Meermin to cancel an order if it was late (or very very late)? Did you have to resort to contacting your credit card company to get the refund?
  • Any suggestions on how to politely respond and say I do not want accessories that are not needed but maybe ask for something else?
I have only skimmed some of this thread and as far as I can tell they are often late so why does anyone put up with it? Are the shoes really that good? Why don't they just give out better estimates rather than continually frustrate customers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've done 2 GMTO from Meermin, the first one was a year or 2 ago and from what I remember it was prompt. The second was when we were actually in quarantine and people believed the walking dead was going to happen and everyone and their momma were lined up at the gun store lmao. I'm digressing. My second GMTO was delayed about 2 or 3 weeks, I didn't really care but I just wanted to be updated on what was going on. I honestly thought they were going to shut down their factories, so I emailed them twice and they were nice and I was nice and I randomly got a nice wooden shoe horn and a dauber brush I haven't used yet. MTOs generally take long.

In Meermin's defense, the shoe horn is pretty nice and it's my favorite of the pile I own. Just like shoe trees, it's great having more shoe horns than you need because they get lost or, you could be like me; I keep a shoe horn in my porch, living room, bedroom, restrooms, backyard and one in my car. The wooden Meermin shoe horn stays in my bedroom, and it has a thin leather strap to it in case I need to whack someone lol, I kid.

Advice from Pennypacker to you; be patient and enjoy the rest of the shoes you own. Shoes are meant to be worn and enjoyed, not to stress and whatnot :cool:

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,
It would be nice to have a JR outsole option.
I appreciate reaching out to the community here on SF.
Cheers.
Superb choice Sir!
We will include the JR option.
Have a nice weekend.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Delays on MTO's happen all the time. It's so common that it's often expected. I would for example never order a MTO shoe if I needed it by a specific date. If I had a deadline I would go RTW.

To be honest it sounds like Meermin did fairly well for you.

1. The delay is a small one.
2. They responded quickly to your inquiry.
3. They gave you some spiff, which is a nice gesture regardless of how you specifically value the items.

Most people here understand that there is a big difference between a company like Meermin and say a Mall type brand that is probably working on 200% margins.

The higher Margin companies can shower one with riches at the slightest infraction, the other simply cant afford to do that and in fact they shouldn't be asked to do it.

Once you make that connection as a customer you will find yourself a lot less frustrated, not just with shoes but with a lot of things.

Its really too bad that large companies like Starbucks and COSTCO have set such ridiculous standards for returns or complaints. Its made things very difficult for smaller business who cant afford to bow down to every Karen they come into contact with.
Thank you for the kind words Sir!
We have no other choice but to agree with this comment.
We understand the frustration that you guys may feel sometimes, but we're constantly working to improve our services in all areas.
Really appreciate your patience and loyalty.
Have a great weekend.

Meermin team.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone on here who owns a belt state on how long theirs lasted? I bought one back in April (pretty sure it was then) and I've worn it maybe 15 times and the stitching around the belt loop is starting to unravel causing it to separate. Has anyone else had this happen? @Meermin
Hello there!
That should not happen under any circumstance, please DM us with a pic of the belt attached and if that's the case we will replace it immediately.
Thank you for your patience and have a great weekend.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
This weekend we will hold a pie-crust split toes custom event on our website.
We are open to any suggestions that you may have.
Have a great weekend.

Shell cordovan?

Or is it too difficult to do a pie-crust split-toe in shell cordovan?

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Meermin will there be another MTO with Utah calf? Or...perhaps leather from Tärnsjö tannery. I believe they now go by Tärnsjö Garveri.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi there!
Yes, we will have 6 different shell cordovan colors for you to customize your pair.
Have a good day.

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Shell cordovan?

Or is it too difficult to do a pie-crust split-toe in shell cordovan?
Hi there!
Yes, we will have 6 different shell cordovan colors for you to customize your pair.
Have a good day.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is something cooking in our factory with that exact same leather for the RTW collection.
Nothing yet planned for the MTOs but sure enough eventually something will come up!

oh nice! I’m very intrigued! Any hints?:-D

Meermin

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are now live for the NST custom event during this weekend, don't miss out folks.
Click on the link below to discover:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads