• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm 272mm long, 100mm wide, approx 152mm girth (this one is weird to measure so not sure). I can't fit into a 9UK HIRO without it destroying my mid-foot, while 9.5 is just long and awkward. RON in 9UK is also very narrow for me. Meanwhile I feel fine in 8.5UK in HOK. I can't imagine how someone with a foot even wider than mine can wear HIRO or RON.

Typically I size as a 10D or 9.5E US, so that would be my size for most lasts from Allen Edmonds. I'm also 9.5 in Viberg, 9.5D in Alden Barrie, and 9.5D/9E in various pairs from Grant Stone.
Girth would be the circumference around your two widest points on the foot, or the two joints. However, measuring this it should be at an angle and not straight across the foot as the two joints are not perfectly across from each other

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand, girth is the circumference measurement around the ball, which is the same location as the width measurement. Did you mean 252mm girth perhaps?
I'm 271mm long, 100mm wide and 252mm girth.
2E964B9F-831F-475E-931A-319FD7462DF6.jpeg

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
As far as I understand, girth is the circumference measurement around the ball, which is the same location as the width measurement. Did you mean 252mm girth perhaps?
I'm 271mm long, 100mm wide and 252mm girth.
I absolutely did, thanks for that.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
No, thank you! Now I have a good idea of what I should aim for in Meermin's lasts and sizing. May I ask if the 8.5 HOK is just snug for you, or if there is more room for comfort?
Yes, the 8.5 HOK is about as snug as I would reasonably want in a shoe (roomier than HIRO/RON 9). If my pinky toe was any longer or the slightest bit wider I'd even say it's a bit small, while it's comfortably snug everywhere else.

I also have the HOK in 9, which I need to wear with a tongue pad, thin insert, and thick socks in order for the facings not to overlap at the front. I'd say the fit is very similar to my Viberg 2030 boot in 9.5, but the HOK 9 has slightly more volume around the midfoot.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The boots fit very well around my feet - the last is nice and roomy. However, the fit around my ankles and lower legs is very tight and the shell feels very stiff and is difficult to lace up with any tightness at all. The break-in around the feet feels fine but I think that the break-in around the ankles is going to be a long and painful affair.

I thought I would provide an update to my earlier post.

A few weeks ago, I received a pair of split-toe boots in shell cordovan, from the last custom boot weekend. As I noted, the boots fit my feet very well, but the shafts of the boots were very, very stiff and, as a result, the boots were difficult to lace up and painful to wear. They were so uncomfortable that I was concerned that they would be unwearable.

To try to resolve the problem, I gently massaged the shafts of both boots, including flexing the shafts back and forth for about five minutes per boot.

It made an enormous difference. After bending and flexing the shell cordovan shafts, they became much softer and more flexible. I walked 4km while wearing the boots today, without any discomfort at all.

I can highly recommend massaging your (boot) shafts if you are feeling any stiffness and discomfort! :smarmy:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided to measure my foot out of the blue as my foot seemed to go over the went on my RON 8.5UK loafers I got a few months back and my right heel consistently pops out of the shoe when walking. Going to sell I think. These are what I measured:

Left: 267mm length, 108mm width, 255mm girth
Right: 264mm length, 103mm width, 250mm girth

What would you folks recommend on the HIRO last? Or would you suggest I have to wait for when the G width comes out in a shoe I want? I usually wear a 10D and probably going to switch to a 9.5E in the future as 10D shoes are a tad bit long, but proper width.

You do have very wide feet. :eek2: I guess it's going to be difficult to suggest a size. Especially since I think RON last is quite narrow or at least, that's what some say.

Which ones did you get on the RON last, those might be my size.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do have very wide feet. :eek2: I guess it's going to be difficult to suggest a size. Especially since I think RON last is quite narrow or at least, that's what some say.

Which ones did you get on the RON last, those might be my size.
I ended up getting the 8.5UK on the RON last, have to take some photos and try to sell later. Meermin recommended staying with 8.5UK on the HIRO even with those measurements. I will try them maybe in the future, but going to try Grant Stone out for now, then S&M

soda31415

Reaction score
Lately got the loafers I've purchased 4 months ago...
Overall quality is good, finishing is not that great - on the whole, everything I've read on this thread is true.

Fit wise I got lucky:
I have 24.5 cm length, 8.8 cm width, 20.2 girth feet, and 5UK (these are usual Ron last) is quite good. I bet on the descriptions I've read here, specifically very narrow toebox, and I turned out great! Heel is still a little bit too full, but due to the fact that I took one size smaller than recommended for my feet length, it's okay. There's a bit of heel slip, but nothing serious (i think, that will be gone after break in period).

Everything is okay but 4 months of waiting...
(sorry for crappy photo...)
IMG_20200914_171226.jpg

sicigpat

Reaction score
Great boots! Which sole did you choose?

If you have a chance will you please post more photos?

Thanks!
I went with the standard leather sole. I was thinking about the commando(or meermins version if it) but wasn’t sure of the quality.
I try to get more pics out tomorrow. Regards. Patrick

Mihai B.

Reaction score
I ended up getting the 8.5UK on the RON last, have to take some photos and try to sell later. Meermin recommended staying with 8.5UK on the HIRO even with those measurements. I will try them maybe in the future, but going to try Grant Stone out for now, then S&M
I have almost identical measurements like yours. 272 mm length, 103mm wide, 255 girth.
I wear 8.5 uk in HIRO, RON and RUI.
Rui are comfortable but not a handsome last.
Ron are quite narrow and because of that it may look longer than hiro for example.

HIRO are ok but only chukkas or boots for me.Not sure why but they have roomier toebox than oxfords. And this is what I need.

Oxfords in hiro are still painfull to wear after more that 10 wears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads