• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
I would like to hear more from owners about sizing of unlined loafers. My hiro, Elton and ron last are quite snug to me. Should I size down for unlined RON?
I'm a 10D/E US Brannock with low volume and typically size as a 10D. I recently received the 9UK unlined RON in shell. I'm only wearing them sockless and on the first wear was a bit worried that I made a mistake and should have gone with 9.5. They're now quite comfortable after a few days of home wear but I also think I would have been fine with the bigger size. Had I sized down to 8.5, I definitely wouldn't be able to get my foot inside.

For comparison, I'm 9 in RUI and 8.5 in HOK. I tried a size 9 HIRO derby boot in store and found it too tight with thick socks. Never bothered to try the 9.5 because I just didn't like the fit.

Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pictures of my wife's Meermin. A great gift and a perfect way to reduce pressure when my new boots arrive.

IMG_3932.JPG
IMG_3933.JPG

WSB17

Reaction score
Just received my cigar cordovan plain toe service boots from the summer sale and it seems like I’ve struck the QC lottery. No apparent flaws! First time trying out a JR leather sole too and it seems great after a few walks around the house. Will take them for a walk outdoors this evening to see how they do.

For sizing, I went with TTS to brannock (10D), so UK 9E, and it seems to fit in all the right places.

Unfortunately, not the case for me..

My Shinki cherry shell cordovan commando boots arrived yesterday:
The toe area on each shoe has a damage to the leather, kind of a speckle.
I kind of expected this to be honest, since this model was a GMTO, so I knew it had to be a factory second, or a return of some kind.
Will try to use some Saphir neutral shell cream to even it out.

Overall, for $365 I can't complain too much... the cherry color does have a nice redish tone to it, so hopefully it will develop a nice patina. And I mainly wanted this to be a beater pair anyway, for casual wear and so on.
Also, the HOK last has a nice and comfortable fit.

20200807_095623.jpg
20200807_095716.jpg
20200807_095735.jpg
20200807_100750.jpg
20200807_095447.jpg 20200807_095434.jpg

gbandi

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pics of Meermin cognac Utah next to tan and chestnut leathers and polo/snuff suede. Trying to figure Out how dark the leather is..

gbandi

Reaction score
I wear 8.5 in EB 74945/062, Alfred Sargent 724, CJ 348, StC, and AM Chisel lasts. I wear 9 in EG/GG lasts. These fit fine through the waist and toe, but the top line doesn’t sit well around my foot - just a little too loose when walking. No heel slip but I don’t like how the top line sits. Think it’s just the nature of unlined loafers.

I’ll send you some photos tomorrow.
Thanks. If you have comparison pics with tan/snuff/chestnut leather please post them. Trying to figure out the color in real life..

Jdsf

Reaction score

I kind of expected this to be honest, since this model was a GMTO, so I knew it had to be a factory second, or a return of some kind.

Overall, for $365 I can't complain too much... the cherry color does have a nice redish tone to it, so hopefully it will develop a nice patina. And I mainly wanted this to be a beater pair anyway, for casual wear and so on.

View attachment 1438270 View attachment 1438271 View attachment 1438272 View attachment 1438273 View attachment 1438269 View attachment 1438268

That kind of looks like cordovan bloom. Have you given them a good brushing? Either way, I think that's a great price for some beater cordovan boots. I would have jumped on that deal if I had seen it.

gbandi

Reaction score
good evening, I just ordered an Unlined Penny Loafer in Cognac Utah in 9UK, however after some research I couldn't conclude if these loafers are True To Size or if I should instead size down.

What do you recommend? Thanks in advance!

NB: I am 9UK in C&J, TLB and Paolo Scafora, 9.5UK in EG and AM.
I was wondering if you could share your experience with the cognac UTah unlined loafers. Were they TTS? Would you be ki d enough to share pics along with tan/chestnut shoes. Trying to see what they look In real life.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1438270 View attachment 1438271 View attachment 1438272 View attachment 1438273 View attachment 1438269 View attachment 1438268
These look good. Nice gleam to those horse’s arses!! From your pics any speckling you see might be just the usual shell oil coming through and could just brush out as the lad above says. The boots will look better anyway once you get some exclusive shell ripples in the vamps.
I don’t understand you saying they were factory seconds if they were MTO??
I’m in for what I think was the subsequent MTO which is a similar boot but has a punch cap and no speed hooks, but this time they let you pick the leather, sole etc which I think is a grand idea from Meermin as long as the QC checks out. They were promised for August but given the erratic deliveries from Meermin I think the best strategy is to almost forget about them and then get a pleasant surprise when they arrive. Those shells are making me jell - I went with burgundy grain calf. These winter boots won’t get much wear from me so I couldn’t hack the extra $100 or so for shells even though it’s a great price. Hope they fit well and that you enjoy them.

WSB17

Reaction score
Tried to brush them, still there. I used Saphir cordovan cream, and it seemed to help a bit.
It's not that noticeable, so I am ok with it.

I don’t understand you saying they were factory seconds if they were MTO??
I’m in for what I think was the subsequent MTO which is a similar boot but has a punch cap and no speed hooks, but this time they let you pick the leather, sole etc which I think is a grand idea from Meermin as long as the QC checks out. They were promised for August but given the erratic deliveries from Meermin I think the best strategy is to almost forget about them and then get a pleasant surprise when they arrive. Those shells are making me jell - I went with burgundy grain calf. These winter boots won’t get much wear from me so I couldn’t hack the extra $100 or so for shells even though it’s a great price. Hope they fit well and that you enjoy them.

I bought this as part of their "summer sale", and this model was only available through MTO, so my guess was most of these models in their sale had to be MTO "factory seconds". Could be mistaken.. but that makes sense in my mind.

If you ordered a regular MTO, I'm sure you're getting top "factory first" quality.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried to brush them, still there. I used Saphir cordovan cream, and it seemed to help a bit.
It's not that noticeable, so I am ok with it.

I bought this as part of their "summer sale", and this model was only available through MTO, so my guess was most of these models in their sale had to be MTO "factory seconds". Could be mistaken.. but that makes sense in my mind.

If you ordered a regular MTO, I'm sure you're getting top "factory first" quality.
Cheers - I’ll post pics whenever mine arrive for any interested party.
Glad the mark are brushing out - theyre rugged boots so I don’t think we the general public would expect them to be pristine!
Like I said above, this idea, which I think is quite new to Meermin (did they do it with unlined loafers?) of letting us choose the details (leathers, linings, soles) for the captoe MTO is absolutely solid so I hope it pays off for them. I went on their suggestion page to ask that they do it again for standard penny loafers. I could see myself getting red, navy, green museum calf with rubber soles if they were offered - and I already have too many shoes!

archipel

Reaction score
I'm a 10D/E US Brannock with low volume and typically size as a 10D. I recently received the 9UK unlined RON in shell. I'm only wearing them sockless and on the first wear was a bit worried that I made a mistake and should have gone with 9.5. They're now quite comfortable after a few days of home wear but I also think I would have been fine with the bigger size. Had I sized down to 8.5, I definitely wouldn't be able to get my foot inside.

For comparison, I'm 9 in RUI and 8.5 in HOK. I tried a size 9 HIRO derby boot in store and found it too tight with thick socks. Never bothered to try the 9.5 because I just didn't like the fit.

Thanks for your comparison. I wear 8.5 in RUI, I have wider feet so that last fits me well. Anyone more experience with RUI vs RON unlined loafers? Wondering if I can make the loafers work in terms of sizing.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Guys, would you say that the Elton last is similar to the Simpson last from Carmina?

No. Closer to Rain. I made the mistake of sizing up .5 once. Never again.

I would like to hear more from owners about sizing of unlined loafers. My hiro, Elton and ron last are quite snug to me. Should I size down for unlined RON?

Do not size down. I own 2.

Mihai B.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comparison. I wear 8.5 in RUI, I have wider feet so that last fits me well. Anyone more experience with RUI vs RON unlined loafers? Wondering if I can make the loafers work in terms of sizing.
I wear 8.5 in RUI, HIRO and I choose the same size on RON unlined loafers. I also have wide feet and due to low instep of the loafers, I put my feet in them slightly hard. But once in, the unlined loafers are great.

For narrow feet it can be sized down 0.5 but for wide feet it will not work. Also, the sole is not that wide.

soda31415

Reaction score
Sharing my expirience: asked meermin to craft loafers in ron last size 5 uk - it's been three months and they still haven't been shipped out.
Is it common for them?
Quite disappointing...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads