• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Derby boots.

lcdx22

Reaction score
Hi all. First post on this thread. I saw the brandy shell cordovan jumper mto on hok last. How does this last fit compared to any AE or Alden lasts?

Anyone have any shoes in this shell? Was just wondering how it compares to horween.

Thank you

Sfroide3

Reaction score
HOK is considered generous. I find it very comfortable. I wear UK9 on this last. I wear the same size as my AE 511 in US 10. It has a more generous instep and forepart than the AE 511. I wear Alden Mod Last in US 10C.

lcdx22

Reaction score
HOK is considered generous. I find it very comfortable. I wear UK9 on this last. I wear the same size as my AE 511 in US 10. It has a more generous instep and forepart than the AE 511. I wear Alden Mod Last in US 10C.

Thank you. That's perfect. In the 511 last I wear an E width. Based on your description the D width (or whatever their nomenclature) in the HOL should be good.

I'm also having trouble finding more pictures of their perf cap toe boots. Is it a new style for them? I'd like to see more pictures of the boot outside their website.

yitianjian

Reaction score
Hey Styleforum,

Looking for advice here - I'm trying to return/exchange the top pair of shoes for being the wrong color. Is this kind of difference acceptable?

The belt is dark brown, the bottom shoes are dark brown, both from Meermin. The top shoes were supposed to be dark brown but clearly look burgundy. Customer service is claiming "leather naturally has different colours due to the dying process" but this looks like an issue of wrong color to me.

Thank you!

IMG_5084.jpeg

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hey Styleforum,

Looking for advice here - I'm trying to return/exchange the top pair of shoes for being the wrong color. Is this kind of difference acceptable?

The belt is dark brown, the bottom shoes are dark brown, both from Meermin. The top shoes were supposed to be dark brown but clearly look burgundy. Customer service is claiming "leather naturally has different colours due to the dying process" but this looks like an issue of wrong color to me.

Thank you!

View attachment 1389947
They’re obviously a different brown but I’d not go as far as burgundy..

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Styleforum,

Thank you!

View attachment 1389947
I am sure if you use some Renovateur and Dark Brown Saphir Shoe Cream, over time they will turn a nice darker brown. Although it is a nice brown right now, still versatile. I would say keep, but it does seem more milk chocolate than dark chocolate

Webbo

Reaction score
Today arrived (early) my MTO untraflex chukka in cognac suede. Have to say I’m very pleased indeed. I had to sell a previous pair on the HOK last as the 10.5 was too big. I went 10 on these on the ROD last and they fit great. The suede is really similar to the Alden snuff, maybe a touch brighter. Very soft (not quite Alden soft but really nice). I had a pair of Alden’s snuff chukkas on the Leydon last but it just doesn’t work for my feet. These are less than a third of the price and are absolutely better value (IMO) and really well made, all be it not to a $600 Alden level of course.

The ultraflex system has a memory foam insole which is quite thick, while I am sure many will love this I will maybe wear them without but I would then like a Meermin “Heel liner “(?) thin insole to cover the nails - like I have in the last photo from a pair of Chelsea’s. Anyone an idea where I can get a couple ? (UPDATE: Meermin have just contacted me to say they will send me some. Fantastic Customer Service.)

In summary these are just what I was looking for. Well Done Meermin really great shoes at a really good price.

48F98DAC-9F86-4887-885E-7664C69C5044.jpeg
511CE376-619A-4D8E-ABAD-91E0111174D4.jpeg
3ACFD012-20D5-44BD-B83F-D36B17796610.jpeg
6DFFBF79-D1C1-4D4D-A442-E3CF1CABB1D1.jpeg
09E15C69-FEE6-4C93-BACF-F01472D570EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Sinbios

Reaction score
I'm considering joining the GMTO for the shell cordovan boots on the HOK last, I'm a little hesitant on the sizing since the description goes on at length about how voluminous it is and I have narrow feet.

I'm a Brannock US 8C, and I usually wear 7.5D when I can't find C width. How other shoes fit me:

- Carmina boots on the Forest last size UK 7E it was just about perfect in width and a teensy bit long in length
- Alden boots on the Barrie last size 7.5D is a little roomy in the toe area, I had to put in tongue pads
- AE MacNeil on the 97 last size 7.5D was pretty close to good, though I get some heel slip from how stiff the sole and uppers are

Does anyone know how the HOK compares to these? Would size 7 will be a good fit for me on the HOK, or should I size down to 6.5 or even size 6 instead?

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I'm considering joining the GMTO for the shell cordovan boots on the HOK last, I'm a little hesitant on the sizing since the description goes on at length about how voluminous it is and I have narrow feet.

I'm a Brannock US 8C, and when I tried a pair of Carmina boots on the Forest last size UK 7E it was just about perfect in width and a teensy bit long in length. A pair of Alden boots on the Barrie last size 7.5D is a little roomy in the toe area.

Does anyone know how HOK compares to the Carmina Forest or Alden Barrie? Would size 7 will be a good fit for me on the HOK, or should I size down to 6.5 or even size 6 instead?
I’d not go crazy, it’s not as big as others say. I’ve three pairs and go true to uk size. I’ve none of the boots you have alas but go same size as Trickers 4497s, C and J 325/335. I think they’re slightly wider than other Meermin last. Not wiiiiide though!
094B9C78-0DA1-48CB-812D-5F706BDC95EC.jpeg

Sinbios

Reaction score
I think they’re slightly wider than other Meermin last. Not wiiiiide though!

Hmm, still I wonder if I should just avoid this last given they seem to be on the side of wider than usual and my feet are on the opposite side. Does anyone else with narrow feet have any experience with the HOK?

Too bad Meermin doesn't seem to allow width changes for MTOs, which to me kind of defeats the purpose of a MTO...

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hmm, still I wonder if I should just avoid this last given they seem to be on the side of wider than usual and my feet are on the opposite side. Does anyone else with narrow feet have any experience with the HOK?

Too bad Meermin doesn't seem to allow width changes for MTOs, which to me kind of defeats the purpose of a MTO...
I kind of agree but then they keep costs down by operating a bulk as opposed to individual mto. Agree that would give huge flexibility to consumers if the latter but probably not cost effective with how they operate. Carmina seem to have the best system for that in the world.

AltNameTK

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any price increases. Most shoes still seem to be $195, with some specialty leathers at $210, which is what I've observed for the past few years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads