• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nerator

Reaction score
I think if the Hiro is a snug fit for you now, you can go the same size on the HOK with maybe an insert or even an orthopedic insert. If Hiro is not snug and you want to keep a more snug fit you should size down.
Thanks for your comments. Hiro in UK7,5 is true to size now after a bit breakage, but not relaxed at all. I don't like inserts that is why I'm looking for size that fit very close to TTS. I read that HOK is more relaxed fit from all other lasts and I do not understand how it fit in compare with same size in Hiro. Size for boots I guess is more relaxed than same size and lasts for dress shoes. I have double monks in Hiro and I think it is big difference between boots and monks how it fits. The porblem that it is not possible to change size of MTO boots. Once I had purchased Meermin MTO split toe boots + split toe derby in same last and in same size. Boots were maybe half or full size bigger than shoes and I have to sold them. Now I do not want to repeat this experience.

Update form Meermin Support
Thank you very much for your message.
From the information you've provided us, we do recommend you to wear a size 7 UK.
If you cannot find your size in website of the shoes you like please let us know the model and we can check in which stage of production is it and give you date for replenishment.
Please, keep in mind this is a suggestion, due to every foot being different we cannot assure 100% that this size will fit you, however, this is the most accurate sizing we can provide.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meermin derby boots. One of my favs.

96ADF527-6991-4BF8-81D7-C1C10AB2B3DC.jpeg

3FFE1025-04F5-49D6-9C3E-DD699FAB0AB5.jpeg

sicigpat

Reaction score
Hi gents,
I’m looking for a length comparison between rui and hok last in the same size. Do any of you folks own both? Thanks. Patrick

mux8

Reaction score
someone once posted a chart with all the lasts and dimensions? Does anyone know where it was posted?

AltNameTK

Reaction score
How does Meermin's suede fare in water? I'm interested in getting suede jodhpurs, but these will be my first pair of suede shoes and I'm worried about how they'll fare in New York weather.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Suede and water are not friends. There are some specific suede with water proof treatment. You can also "weather" proof your suede shoes. But honestly, if you do a lot of walking in NYC subways I would skip light color suede and go for dark brow. It is way easier to clean and take care.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask @An Acute Style - he has snuff suede jodhpurs IIRC and he’s in NYC.
I have the Meermin dark brown suede cap toes. I sprayed them with a waterproofing agent and they are my go to rain shoes. The have a rubber sole as well so they are great in the rain. Only complaint is that the rubber sole doesn’t have much traction in snow or indoors when wet on tile. Be careful.

My snuff suede jodhpurs are from Polo Ralph Lauren. They have a leather sole and I’ve never worn them in the rain.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede and water are not friends.
There are some specific suede with water proof treatment. You can also "weather" proof your suede shoes. But honestly, if you do a lot of walking in NYC subways I would skip light color suede and go for dark brow. It is way easier to clean and take care.

Absolutely not true.

Suede is one of the best all weather materials. Personally, the only sueded shoes I treat with protectant, are my lighter colored suedes. Of course it doesn’t hurt to spray them, in case you spill something greasy on them. I fortunately, have not had any greasy mistakes with my suede. I own several pairs of suede, from several makers, most of them have rubber soles, and were purchased specifically for wet/nasty weather. The color range is from dark brown to light tan. They all are very easy to clean. My Meermin suede are great in all weather conditions.

Last edited:

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Absolutely not true.

Suede is one of the best all weather materials. Personally, the only sueded shoes I treat with protectant, are my lighter colored suedes. Of course it doesn’t hurt to spray them, in case you spill something greasy on them. I fortunately, have not had any greasy mistakes with my suede. I own several pairs of suede, from several makers, most of them have rubber soles, and were purchased specifically for wet/nasty weather. The color range is from dark brown to light tan. They all are very easy to clean. My Meermin suede are great in all weather conditions.

If your suede shoes are not tanned with proper weather treatment and you don't add any protectant, I wish you good luck under the rain. I don't say it's impossible, I say it's more prompt to stains than a regular leather. Walking a dirty side-walk with light suede shoes is not a good idea if you don't want to spend too much time cleaning. You can do it. Your shoes won't be ruined. You just need to take some time cleaning.

There is always a balance between weather protection and breathability. I didn't weatherproof my summer unlined loafer while I did it for my all around chelsea boots. Adding any kind of water protection will also trap the moisture inside as a consequence of the weatherproofing.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your suede shoes are not tanned with proper weather treatment and you don't add any protectant, I wish you good luck under the rain. I don't say it's impossible, I say it's more prompt to stains than a regular leather. Walking a dirty side-walk with light suede shoes is not a good idea if you don't want to spend too much time cleaning. You can do it. Your shoes won't be ruined. You just need to take some time cleaning.

There is always a balance between weather protection and breathability. I didn't weatherproof my summer unlined loafer while I did it for my all around chelsea boots. Adding any kind of water protection will also trap the moisture inside as a consequence of the weatherproofing.

I think what you’re falling victim to is the falsely and widely held belief that suede is somehow fragile.

Again, nothing could be further from the truth, and no luck is needed. Suede is a very robust leather, more capable than regular calf leather are for just about any condition. As I wrote earlier, my lighter colored suedes I do apply a protectant on them. However, my darker colored sueded footwear’s only care regimen is a brush with a nice suede brush after each wear.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I think what you’re falling victim to is the falsely and widely held belief that suede is somehow fragile.

Again, nothing could be further from the truth, and no luck is needed. Suede is a very robust leather, more capable than regular calf leather are for just about any condition. As I wrote earlier, my lighter colored suedes I do apply a protectant on them. However, my darker colored sueded footwear’s only care regimen is a brush with a nice suede brush after each wear.
Ok

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads