• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Sizing help for wide feet - I am interested in the current MTO shell cordovan boot in cigar, but I am unsure about which size to order. I do not have any Meermin shoes or boots, and I do not live near a Meermin retail store. On Allen Edmonds 65 last, I wear 6.5 EEE, and 6 EEE on their 201 last. I am between size 7.5D - 8D on the Brannock scale. My feet measure 254mm long and 103mm wide. I've read numerous message boards, their sizing chart, size measurements and I am still unsure as I have not found a posting of someone who wears AEs in "EEE" width. Can some poeple please chime in on size recommendations for the MTO shell cordovan boots on the HOK last? Thank you in advance!

EEE ... Well I guess you gotta pass on any brand not doing extra wide lasts. You say you are a Brannock 7.5D-8D (normal width) but you did buy shoes 2 size smaller and in 2 extra width ??? What's going on there ?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Sizing help for wide feet - I am interested in the current MTO shell cordovan boot in cigar, but I am unsure about which size to order. I do not have any Meermin shoes or boots, and I do not live near a Meermin retail store. On Allen Edmonds 65 last, I wear 6.5 EEE, and 6 EEE on their 201 last. I am between size 7.5D - 8D on the Brannock scale. My feet measure 254mm long and 103mm wide. I've read numerous message boards, their sizing chart, size measurements and I am still unsure as I have not found a posting of someone who wears AEs in "EEE" width. Can some poeple please chime in on size recommendations for the MTO shell cordovan boots on the HOK last? Thank you in advance!
I’ve never seen any manufacturers sizes questioned as much as Meermin. Must be the direct sales model and people not sizing correctly? You’ve gone the correct thing asking first.

I have the same boot from the previous run and went true to uk sizing ( I am uk sized!). It fits me well without heel slip. I usually wear uk brands like Trickers, C and J or Cheaney which are noted for their width and take those true to size. Disclaimer, I usually wear slightly thicker socks.

Canadian Sensei

Reaction score
EEE ... Well I guess you gotta pass on any brand not doing extra wide lasts. You say you are a Brannock 7.5D-8D (normal width) but you did buy shoes 2 size smaller and in 2 extra width ??? What's going on there ?

It seemed odd to me as well so I got someone else to check my Brannock in a different shop (Nordstrom) and both measurements were the same (between 7.5D - 8D). I ordered AEs Dalton boot (511 last) size 7.5US online (no AE stores near me), and it's much too long. I later ordered AE strand (65 last) size 7EE US and it also felt a little too long. I have since ordered their strand and park aves both in 6.5EEE US and they feel great.
That said, I have a pair of AE on the 64 last in 7E and they fit great....makes no sense to me either...

Contango

Reaction score
Meermin site is still hacked/hijacked.

I’ve contacted them several times but had no response. Not really willing to order from their site until it’s fixed, just not safe.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
It seemed odd to me as well so I got someone else to check my Brannock in a different shop (Nordstrom) and both measurements were the same (between 7.5D - 8D). I ordered AEs Dalton boot (511 last) size 7.5US online (no AE stores near me), and it's much too long. I later ordered AE strand (65 last) size 7EE US and it also felt a little too long. I have since ordered their strand and park aves both in 6.5EEE US and they feel great.
That said, I have a pair of AE on the 64 last in 7E and they fit great....makes no sense to me either...

Well. If Brannock sizing was done right, the ball of your feet should be at the right place in a 7.5 or 8 pair of shoes. A smaller size wouldn't be right. Did you feel that you had too much room on the toe cap or was your ball misaligned ?

Canadian Sensei

Reaction score
Did you feel that you had too much room on the toe cap or was your ball misaligned ?
Both, but mainly too much length between the end of my toes and the tip of the shoes. My toes end at the cap-toe seam in an Allen Edmonds size 8. I have converse x 2, Taft, and M.Gemi sneakers all in US size 8 and fit well. I heard dress shoes are approx. 1 size down from sneakers. That is not why I buy these sizes, I simply buy these sizes because they seem to fit my foot the best.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Both, but mainly too much length between the end of my toes and the tip of the shoes. My toes end at the cap-toe seam in an Allen Edmonds size 8. I have converse x 2, Taft, and M.Gemi sneakers all in US size 8 and fit well. I heard dress shoes are approx. 1 size down from sneakers. That is not why I buy these sizes, I simply buy these sizes because they seem to fit my foot the best.

There is obviously something wrong.

1. It could be your sizing in store.
2. It could be your choice of sizing down and going wide

My understanding is that you might be looking for too much fullness on the captoe of the shoes. You are not supposed to touch the tip of the shoes ever.

true-foot-size-brannick.jpg

Depending on lasts and brands you might need to size up or down. Right now if you are a brannock US7.5D (let's be conservative) and you wear 6EEE, I would investigate and fix that way before ordering any kind of new shoes.

(Sneakers to Dress shoes is something special. I have my converse in Men 9 (they don't call it US), UK9, Euro 42.5. This conversion doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't base anything on this.)

nerator

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I need opinion and advice of cordovan service boots owners.
I do not have HOK last in my shoes wardrobe and I wear 7,5UK in most my shoes in Hiro lasts and English shoes. If I take 7,5 will it be too roomy that possible to put inserts inside or put on thick socks? I do not need extra space inside for thick socks or inserts. I want them not to be too roomy and not tight as well. Just comfortable, true to size and not narrow. Should I go down to half size and take 7UK or it will be excessivly tight. Do you like these shoes and how did they show themselves in use?
Appreciate your suggestions.

Last edited:

Canadian Sensei

Reaction score
There is obviously something wrong.

1. It could be your sizing in store.
2. It could be your choice of sizing down and going wide

My understanding is that you might be looking for too much fullness on the captoe of the shoes. You are not supposed to touch the tip of the shoes ever.

true-foot-size-brannick.jpg

Depending on lasts and brands you might need to size up or down. Right now if you are a brannock US7.5D (let's be conservative) and you wear 6EEE, I would investigate and fix that way before ordering any kind of new shoes.

(Sneakers to Dress shoes is something special. I have my converse in Men 9 (they don't call it US), UK9, Euro 42.5. This conversion doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't base anything on this.)

I followed your advice today. It was my day-off work, so I hopped into my car and went to the closest Allen Edmonds store for proper sizing - no food stops, and 1 gas stop: 10 hour trip!
In short (pardon the pun), you were correct: I was sizing down and going wide.
Today's results as measured by the AE staff:
Brannock: 8 D
65 last: 8 D
1757 last: 8 D (a little loose with dress socks)
943B (Liverpool chelsea boot) last: 8 E
1943 Last: 8 E
606 Last: 7 1/2E
I must say, it was worth it. I bought two new pair (dark brown shell cordovan Patriot loafer, and dark brown suede Liverpool chelsea).
Sfroide3 - you helped me: thank you! Even though I now have a few 1000 dollars worth of undersized shoes, I am happy because I have a far wider selection to choose from in size 8D rather than 6.5 EEE!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I need opinion and advice of cordovan service boots owners.
I do not have HOK last in my shoes wardrobe and I wear 7,5UK in most my shoes in Hiro lasts and English shoes. If I take 7,5 will it be too roomy that possible to put inserts inside or put on thick socks? I do not need extra space inside for thick socks or inserts. I want them not to be too roomy and not tight as well. Just comfortable, true to size and not narrow. Should I go down to half size and take 7UK or it will be excessivly tight. Do you like these shoes and how did they show themselves in use?
Appreciate your suggestions.

Meermin quote:

"We do recommend to wear the same size as the HIRO or RUI lasts, for a more relaxed fit, or going down half a size for a more close cut fit. Also suitable for customers in need of a wide fit. "

I think if the Hiro is a snug fit for you now, you can go the same size on the HOK with maybe an insert or even an orthopedic insert. If Hiro is not snug and you want to keep a more snug fit you should size down.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I followed your advice today. It was my day-off work, so I hopped into my car and went to the closest Allen Edmonds store for proper sizing - no food stops, and 1 gas stop: 10 hour trip!
In short (pardon the pun), you were correct: I was sizing down and going wide.
Today's results as measured by the AE staff:
Brannock: 8 D
65 last: 8 D
1757 last: 8 D (a little loose with dress socks)
943B (Liverpool chelsea boot) last: 8 E
1943 Last: 8 E
606 Last: 7 1/2E
I must say, it was worth it. I bought two new pair (dark brown shell cordovan Patriot loafer, and dark brown suede Liverpool chelsea).
Sfroide3 - you helped me: thank you! Even though I now have a few 1000 dollars worth of undersized shoes, I am happy because I have a far wider selection to choose from in size 8D rather than 6.5 EEE!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

You are very welcome. I am glad you were able to figure out what was wrong with your sizing in store. You will loose some money now selling these old shoes, but in the long run you know your sizing and have access to way more brands. I think it will also be way better for your feet health to have them in some proper sized shoes !

Cheers !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads