Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I think that the market is full of elongated double monks, the meermins are nice just for its classic rounded shape.
    It's really a great proportioned and designed model, too good to be true at this price.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

2. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Senior member

i see no one talking about the loafers... has ANYONE tried those? particularly the tassel ones?

3. eyeofthetig3r

eyeofthetig3r Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems my soles are starting to split and I haven't worn them yet. Is this the case? And will it get worse with wear?

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

That is fine, wear it

5. dsc

dsc Active Member

I'm considering getting a pair of these for the summer:

http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1939#

Just not sure how RON compares to AMA or HIRO. Emailed Pepe / Jose, waiting for a reply.

Has anyone here compared the AMA / HIRO to the 348 from C&J? I wear a 7.5UK in the 348s and I already have a pair of AMA bluchers in 8UK, although I'm a bit worried they will stretch too much and become loose.

BTW here's two shots of what a Meermin (AMA last blucher, the one I mentioned above) can look like with proper light:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompjagiello/7443360246/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tompjagiello/7447546442/in/photostream#

[photos are copyright protected]

Regards,
    dsc.

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I have a pair of C&J Lowndes on the 348 and my black cap toes on the Hiro is almost identical with regards to fit, only shorter and rounded.

7. DHV

DHV Member

I sized my Hiro's up half a size cause they were shorter than 348.

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

With feet there is no definitive answer, but for me they are quite identical in fit, but I have slightly shorter but wider feet than a normal size 7.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

maybe, maybe not.

email pics to meermin and get their opinion.

10. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Impressive pictures! With quality shots like these on the Meermin webpage prices could be increased...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

11. razl

razl Senior member

After lurking and digesting, I'm close to taking the plunge on a couple of Linea Maestro Meermins - the 10164 and 10172 both on the New Rey last. fyi: I see that the Del Rey is fairly sleek, I happen to be a 10.5+ (my right foot is about 2/16 wider near my toes). Not having ever ordered shoes untried and from overseas, here's what I've gathered from the thread so far:

1. Best way to get a good fit: trace my foot on paper and send a pic of it with measurement as a guide to Pepe for size recomendations.
    2. They're good about communication, and super helpful, but slower these days.
    3. Total cost for two pairs looks to be about $750 (250eur x 2 = 500eur / $780, -vat=$680, +$75 shipping=$750) with an extra $20-40 in duties depending.
    4. I should expect about 10days for them to arrive stateside barring a holdup with fedex.

That's my summary - are there any gotchas that I'm missing? I've also got two questions for the crowd:

1. Does a burnished toe require MTO? I'm preferential to a little darkening on the nose of the 10172, but it's not a deal breaker.
    2. I'm preferential to the Linea Maestro for the higher quality leather and construction but am concerned the New Rey last isn't going to work for me. If it doesn't and I need to go to their Classic line for the Hiro or Olfe, is it really a big step down in quality? I'm concerned that at that point, it's not really worth it; maybe good shoes for the money, but possibly better saved towards something better?

Appreciate any input!

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Your calculations seem to use gbp, no EU. 2 pairs is 500 EU...minus vat leaves you at 400 EU. Shipping is 35 euro for up to 2 pairs, so then you are at 435 EU shipped.

Based on current exchange rates, thats $535

Unless you are just building up your shoe collection, I don't think the classic line is worth it. good shoe, but more along the lines of a Loake 1880 or AE.

Btw, as far as i know, you can get any LM shoe on any last for the MTO upcharge.

13. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

There have been a few posts about excellent customer service from Meermin. While I don't disagree that some may have received this, it's not always the case. I'm talking specifically regarding communication because thus far I haven't received anything from them since I paid on July 15 - 12 days ago. I ordered a pair of OTR black captoes in 9UK. I received confirmation from PayPal that the payment went through but nothing from Meermin. I don't know if (a) the shoes are in/out of stock, or (b) if they've been shipped. No response to my emails. That's not excellent customer service no matter how busy you are.

Did anyone ever get a tracking number on their order?

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Have you looked in your spam-folder?

15. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Yep. Not there. Their original emails to me pre-payment came through OK.