Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i concur the silver buckle is a fail, imo.

2. poissa

poissa Senior member

I think I want Vil as offered by Meermin made but with the quality provided in Carmina line of shoes. Is this something that can be accomplished by a MTO program? I'm not in any rush concerning delivery of the shoe. Just want something that is serviceable several years. Also, need flush mounted sunken metal toe plates.

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

If you don't have pencil-feet I would recommend you to maybe choose the New Rey last over the Vil. I can't say much with regards to the quality, but I doubt the LM is far away from Carmina quality, so a MTO program would give you what you want.
    Does Meermin do flush toe plates?

Strongly disagree.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The value proposition is interesting. As I calculate it, Meermin MTO is rougly $375 shipped to the U.S. How does that compare to a pair of Carmina's ordered directly from Carmina?

7. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

Hi guys,

received delivery of my first Meermin's, dub monk in dark brown suede (since a number of pictures are already posted on those, I skip it).

Obviously I know nothing on how they will stand the test of time, but they do look very nice new. I have a humble collection of just above 10 pairs of decent shoes (C&J's, bench- and handgrades, AS Exclusives, RM Williams, Alden's and a pair of Allen Edmonds) to compare with.
    For the price, €170 incl shipping, the Meermins appears to represent an excellent, to-good-to-be-true, value.

Sure, there are some finnishing flaws (some glue on the upper of the welt that you can see if you study them closely but never once on your feet, a bit less than perfect finnishing inside) that I would not have accepted on a pair of C&J's bought at retail, but the finnishing is in no way second to the two pairs of Alden shells that I own. The suede feels dense (if that is the correct word), the interior leather smoth and supple.

I simply cannot belivive that the shoe on my feet is bought at €150...why did I spend €500 each on two pairs of shoes as late as in June...?

Service from Meermin was also great. Placed the order late Wednesday evening, received a PayPal invoice 30 minutes later, paid and got the shipping confirmation with tracking code first thing thursday morning. A week later the shoes were on my feet. Outstanding!

And, for all you sizing junkies out there; I wear 8.5E in C&J 337's and 8.5F in AS Exclusives (though slightly roomy) and the 8.5 Hiro last fits me beutifully.

More orders to come!

Cheers!

8. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

I agree to the extent that as the comparison relates to shell cordovan it is unfair to compare because Carmina uses Horween while Meermin uses Shell Cordovan from Argentina. I have a pair of Chukka style boots from Carmina and I don't really see a $300.00 difference in the quality of the shoes. As stated in previous posts we won't know about the longevity of the shoes for a while but for now I am a believer. I actually would rather order 2 pairs of Meermin shell cordovan than 1 pair of Carmina, mostly because I personally like the Meermin last better. And I think the customer service of Meermin far exceeds that of Carmina.

9. Jakezero

Jakezero Senior member

The more pictures I see, the less I can wait for my own franken-dovers. Let this cursed season called summer end and bring me glorious fall!

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, that's exactly why I said I believe they offer a better value. And if we move into Linea Maestro quality I don't think they're far away from Carmina (talking about calf).

11. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

How much does shipping to the US cost approximately?

12. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

The range of sizes for similarly sized feet to my own doesn't exactly instill confidence that I'd get my size correct via mail order. Can anyone else share their experience? I normally wear a 10 EE in North American sizing, and I'm looking at the 3 narrowest lasts. I was thinking a UK9.5 would be a safe bet, but I don't know anymore.

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

35 euros

14. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

15. Calikid

Calikid Senior member