• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got back from a trip to Madrid and had the chance to visit the Meermin store and inspect the shoes. I thought that the shoes appeared to be of solid quality and were a very good value.

The Norvegese welted shoes did not appeal to me. The construction seemed incongruent with the more formal style of shoes. I'm not a fan of that construction in general, but I'd prefer it on more countryish shoes. The Linea Maestro shoes were all nice looking, but the lasts were a little too chiseled for my tastes. They weren't overly aggressive, but they were kinda pointy and a little too square. This is more of a personal preference thing, though. The pricing was very good for the quality of the leather and the construction.

The cordovan looked pretty good to me. The construction was a little less precise, but that's not unexpected for cordovan. The lasts were much more rounded and appropriate for the type of leather. I purchased a pair of plain toe bluchers in a color that was similar to ravello. It may be a bit darker. I'm curious to see how these compare over time with the cordovan shoes I've bought from Alden and Carmina.

The classic line was really inexpensive, and I thought the quality looked just fine. I'm really surprised that they are able to make shoes like this for that price. I bought a pair of loafers.

I only tried on the pairs that I purchased. I have very flat feet that makes fitting into shoes rather difficult. I almost never fit into loafers. Both pairs were solid fits for my feet, and I did not experience gaps around the ankles that usually plague me.

They have a pretty decent selection for women as well. The style won't appeal to every woman, but my wife was able to find a pair that she liked.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
zbromer, thanks for the update. Particularly in terms of the Ladies shoes, it'll give the other half something to focus on while I figure out my sizing.

I have recently increased my Carmina collection and continue to be impressed with them, perhaps Meermin can be a new addition too.

So far all the feedback has been positive, which is exceptional for SF!

Last edited:

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

zbromer, thanks for the update. Particularly in terms of the Ladies shoes, it'll give the other half something to focus on while I figure out my sizing.

The women's shoes have a very menswear feel to them, so they may not be for everyone. However, they used some nice suede colors, and my wife bought a pair of green suede penny loafers that she really liked. They also have a number of bags, belts, and other accessories for women.

habanos

Reaction score
Anyone got any new Meermin Appreciation? Im ready lay some Euro down.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not yet, but I think I'm getting another pair next month...

Hope they have suede wholecuts in my size this time!

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin shoes definitely look interesting. My next pair of shoes is planed to be a pair of brown double monks, and in this picture originally posted by Jermyn there seem to be an interesting pair of DM on the top right shelf. If anyone visiting the store (blahgspot maybe..?) would be able to give them a closer look and maybe take a better picture of them and post it here, I would be very grateful!

renn

Reaction score
The classic line (€140):

I´d say they´re a bit better than the Loake 1880s I´ve seen. Stitching roughly on par with my AEs, but they don´t have the bulky 360-degree heel, and the leather and polish are somewhat better (IMHO).
These aren´t Vass, but what do you expect for €140 (approx. $180) incl. VAT?

These are made in China
As you can see, "Meermin rubber top"
Pic was found on an C2C site.
But I have no idea if they are just samples or final product.

Last edited:

renn

Reaction score
The classic line (€140):

I´d say they´re a bit better than the Loake 1880s I´ve seen. Stitching roughly on par with my AEs, but they don´t have the bulky 360-degree heel, and the leather and polish are somewhat better (IMHO).
These aren´t Vass, but what do you expect for €140 (approx. $180) incl. VAT?

Does Meermin provide wide shoes like EEE in AE?

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

These are made in China
As you can see, "Meermin rubber top"
Pic was found on an C2C site.
But I have no idea if they are just samples or final product.

Made in China?

uh-oh going to Madrid soon and was hoping to purchase a few Meermins :(

Let's hope their higher ranges are made in Europe :paranoia:

renn

Reaction score
Made in China?
uh-oh going to Madrid soon and was hoping to purchase a few Meermins
frown.gif

Let's hope their higher ranges are made in Europe
patch[1].gif

Some Chinese Mnfrs are great,hand-lasted and hand-welted shoes are made by experienced craftsmen.
Here's one in Peiking.(a video introducing leather shoes construction in Chinese language. performed by a craftsman of the mnfr)
http://bugu.cntv.cn/news/farming/nongguangtiandi/classpage/video/20100908/101133.shtml

and here are some shoes by another mnfr

These black ones are for a Japanese brand.

Here's a third mnfr

Sorry, it's a bit off the topic.
But if someone got some Meermin made in China, just enjoy the quality and the low price.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
It's a fair point you make. Every country has some great artisan, but it would be preferable if companies could be transparent about where their products are made.

ncdobson

Reaction score
Quote:
It's a fair point you make. Every country has some great artisan, but it would be preferable if companies could be transparent about where their products are made.

I agree that I don't think that the shoes are of inferior quality b/c they're made in China, but I'd like to support manufacturers whose workers enjoy Western labor standards.

Are the Linea Maestro shoes also made in China?

blahgspot

Reaction score
To clarify, I think the shoes in the pic are entirely unrelated.Remember that "Meermin" is not unique to the name of this brand (it is the name of a Dutch slave ship on which a notorious slave rebellion took place). The shoes are made in a factory in Palma de Mallorca, in the Balearic Islands, region where Carmina, Camper, Lottusse, Yanko, and other famous brands of Spanish shoes have their origins. Indeed, Mallorcan shoemaking has a long history and has always produced top-quality footwear noted for its artisanship. While Camper began outsourcing, the others have maintained production in Spain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads