1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

He's right. You are not going to get your money back, even if you exclude shipping. Meermin is simply not in high demand. If you want substantiation just check old classified ads or completed eBay listings.

2. hindvik

hindvik Member

Fair, so new question: are Meermins worth a $245 price tag (cost of shoes including shipping plus the cost of returning the pair that does not fit)? I'm just not willing to take the risk of ordering a single pair and then being out $70 in shipping if they don't fit.

3. notdos

notdos Well-Known Member

Based on what they seem to bring on EBay, I'd expect to discount them for resale.

4. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Whether something is worth it is entirely up to you. It's not worth it to me, but that shouldn't mean much to you.

5. josef1

josef1 Member

I suggest getting the 9.5 in a wider last such as the RUI. Then a narrower last such as hiro on the 10 then just remedy it with a tongue pad or something. That way you dont have to ditch a shoe at all and get to have 2 shoes in different styles/last. Gives you a good reference also on what to order next.

For reference, I usually wear a 7uk, ordered the 7.5 on HIRO, fit well on the front half but with high instep and heel slip, got to remedy with a tongue pad and break in and now it fits quite well. Then got the RUI in 7uk, good fit all around with slight heel slip thats starting to go away (only wore it twice, Meermin tends to have quite stiff leather out of the box). -- both these sizings came from hours of studying this forum haha hope this helps!

6. hindvik

hindvik Member

Is the Elton last considered wider than the Hiro?

7. tbrock

tbrock Well-Known Member

I'm a 5.5 on the hiro last and a 6 with the narrower Elton. Anyone know what size would be best for the Rui?

Can't find an answer, sorry.

8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Wondering if anyone knows how Meermins fit in comparison to Crockett & Jones?
    More specifically looking at the 101341 (double monk in black calf) and wondering if it fits the same as the C&J Lowndes, or if I should go up/down?
    Also wondering about diffferences between 101341 and the "contemporary" 101541? Looks like the 541 has a slightly more square toe, but can't see much of a difference besides that

I searched a bit but couldn't seem to find an answer to my questions, apologies if this has been answered before

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. insy

insy Senior member

How do you guys feel wearing Meermins when you have EB, Carmina and CJ next to them? There must be clearly quality difference between them and I usually tend to get rid of the worse ones whenever I find better models. Or at least I don't bother buying them anymore.

10. kjohnson

kjohnson Member

2weeks ago i returned a pair from the uk that were two small it was well worth 20 euro to return them for the right size , see my other posts regards there sizing

11. kjohnson

kjohnson Member

my shoes by barker church herring grenson are size uk 8.5 my meermin size uk 9 on elton and new ray last were very very tight fit until worn in few hours now perfect hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  12. tbrock

tbrock Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd be messing with meermin if you could afford C&J. Unless strictly for beaters. Meermin lasts make me very happy indeed, for the money. But I prefer the quality of my British made shoes and certainly wouldn't have more than a pair or two if C&J was the right price to be able to have 5 pairs to rotate.

13. insy

insy Senior member

My question was exactly that, directed to those, who own CJ and other premium brands yet actually bother buying Meermin as well.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to have some Meermins for really shitty weather or something similar.

14. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Meermin are very nice shoes, until you put them next to brands like the one you mentioned, which are obviously superior.
    But this is the same for Loake and all the mid-tier brands.

My experience is that the finish and exterior look is nice and refined (for example the welt finish is clean and nicer than many english brands)
    The problem is "inside" the shoes, insole and toe and heel counters are very very stiff and make them unconfortable after a couple of hours.

I would buy only loafers and monks from them anyway, I simply hate their laced styles with a mile of spacing between eyelets, very cheap looking IMO.

I own only the tassel loafers (friends own the double monks and other tassels) worn as daily beaters during spring summer months, after years of use and abuse they're still in great strong condition.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Last year I make a Meermin VS C&J comparision, maybe it could help, see here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-mallorca-shoes/13680#post_8076840

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  15. AMD500

AMD500 Senior member

still waiting for some shell wingtip boots...come on meermin...you know you want to make them! cognac, rui flat welt please!

16. 2942

2942 Well-Known Member

Fellow Torontonian here. I have paid $78 and eighty something CAD for the two orders shipped with FedEx. For my last order, I emailed and asked them to send it with the national Spanish post service. I received them after three weeks but didn't have to pay anything for tax and duty. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  17. hyong91

hyong91 Active Member

hi guys,

need some sizing advice here,
    i wear a us8 in trubalance, barrie last and wolverines 1k as well.
    Do i have to take a uk7.5 in these?

18. silverprelude

silverprelude Well-Known Member

sounds about right, I take us8 in berrie, and uk7.5 in hiro and elton.

1 person likes this.
  19. hyong91

hyong91 Active Member

20. Meermin

Meermin Senior member

Hi guys!

Hoping you're doing great!

Just a quick note for those of you that might be interested in a Black Shell Cordovan LWB, we've just added it to our MTO Groups & is going fast! Don't miss the opportunity while it lasts!

Check all the details here: -----> #101375 - Black Shell Cordovan

[​IMG]

Also we've just released our long awaited dress Plain Toe Blucher Goodyear welted on the ELTON last, a sleeker & refined version of the classic PTB.

Discover all the details HERE: -----> #101465 - Black calf

[​IMG]

Thanks!