Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I haven't used my cap toes yet, but the leather seems like excellent value/price, on par with AE and better than Loake 1880. But I'm quite interested in shoes and just ordered these to get a feel of the Hiro last before ordering MTO. It all depends on willingness to pay, I'm quite interested in shoes and would absolutely put in the extra bucks, others would not. It's also important to think long-term, in the start I thought Loake was top of the line quality :)embar:) while they now are my shoes for rainy days and pubbing (so-called beaters).

2. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

Depends. Meermin is quite new, so I think a lot of people are trying out their basic Classic lines before committing to their higher range.

The higher range are quite mouth-watering- Goodyear Handwelt (not machine welt)- this is really difficult, Norvegesse, fiddleback sole, wholecuts. But you will only appreciate these stuff after you have experienced the basic good quality stuff (I make no assumption as to where you are in the learning/experience curve).

Trust me, the leather is anything but dull! These are way above Loakes (just for comparison with something that is available for comparison in Sydney Australia).

3. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

It would be nice to know for real how's the leather quality on their Maestro line. I can say it looks and feels nice but I'm of course no leather expert and I can't really judge well.
    Because other than that, I think their hand welted construction is way above Carmina.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

:lurk:

5. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

I do love my wholecuts, but especially single monks (classic collection). Really comfortable, and a good fit UK 10 on the Ama last. By contrast, I still experience discomfort across the toes in my Loakes 1880 Aldwych because the upper leather is so tough.

Note: I still experience slight heel slippage on my right foot on the wholecut. I experienced the same with Carmina wholecuts on the Rain last. When I get my feet measured, may need to go down half a size for wholecuts.

Worn both half a dozen tims, and the only issue I've experienced is the usual slipping on polished surfaces i.e. tiles, on leather soled shoes. Still early days in terms of reviewing aging, construction, etc, but I've deleted all of my shoe bookmarks except for Meermin, Carmina and the Armoury (the latter have the most beautiful pair of brown Captoes in the Robert last, and tan wholecuts on the Inca last).

The only issue with Meermin is the lack of colours in the Classic range (mostly black for the styles I like - which I have). Even MTO colours still lacking in options at the moment i.e. tan.

I plan to be a Meermin customer for many a year.

6. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Get some pics up for us all to see :nodding:

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Christian B, I've seen some pictures of the Hiro captoe that make it look very round and bulbous, but your pictures show it as much sleeker. How does the toe compare with an AE Park Avenue/Fifth Avenue?

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I own a pair of AE FA and the Meermins is visibly sleeker.

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

do u mind take a comparison pic when you get time? :)

10. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Post 929. However, the picture quality isn't the best due to no natural light. My shoe trees should arrive today, although I suspect they'll arrive after my workplace's postal room shuts - which means I may have to take additional pictures in natural light and after 3 weeks wear, after the weekend.

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Yeah, I'll do it after work. :)

12. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

thank you in advance.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Carminas are machine welted and gemmed...

Too bad Meermin doesn't offer a resole/recrafting service. Their handwelted construction might be more durable but once the sole is worn out you either find a cobbler who can replace it or you're screwed...

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Hiro last compared to the AE #5 and C&J 348:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The longer cap on the Meermin's really helps with the perceived sleekness.

15. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

thanks for the pic!

I agree on the sleekness of the Meermin's.

what are the size for your FA and meermin if you don't mind. also the C&J looks a lot longer on the toe but still a very nice monk

after your pics I am definitely going to pull a trigger on the dark brown pair of cap toe when I get my next check.

btw, nice shine!:slayer: