1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

Dang it.
    I ordered a pair of the dark brown suede double monks in size 5.5UK and it's too small. I need size 6UK.

I paid $210 plus vat $30 so total of $240.
    It costs $50 to ship back for exchange.
    What a mess. What to do?
    How much can I sell for in BS?

2. eskamobob1

eskamobob1 Senior member

idk the general pricing of meermins in BSTs, but I can almost guarantee that at a UK5.5, you can nock 15% or so off of the normal price simply due to lack in people who they would fit.

3. tbrock

tbrock Well-Known Member

I'd have took them. Well, if I was based I'm the US and hadn't just bought that exact shoe in that exact size.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  4. tbrock

tbrock Well-Known Member

It's not a problem at all. However, to pay 20eur for non-flush toe taps is scandalous. My not remotely cheap cobbler would charge around £5 all told.

1 person likes this.
  5. AlexHffK

AlexHffK Well-Known Member

Living in Copenhagen I haven't been able to find a cobbler capable of this.

6. tbrock

tbrock Well-Known Member

If a cobbler isn't capable of that, you shouldn't be handing over shoes worth any more than 50EUR. They're probably just gluing on soles. It's really easy. Easier than any other repair that can be done to a shoe. If it is just a case of not having the toe taps, I would just buy some, hand them over and save even more money.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I am considering a Hiro last double monk as my first Meermin purchase, can anyone give some sizing advice?

Brannock: 8.15-8.25D (left foot on the larger end)
    Alden barrie: 7.5D (great with most socks)
    Alden van last: 7.5D (sung with dress socks)
    AE 5 last: 8D (snug with dress socks)
    C&J Lindrick: 8D (good with boot socks)
    Sperry: 8.5
    OSB loafers: 7.5D
    EG 606: 7.5 UK (feels a hair large but not enough to change sizes)

Would I be off base considering a 7.5UK? I have read the hiro last might be a bit narrow so am a little worried about going down to a 7UK, maybe someone can compared to any of the lasts I mentioned above to help me figure it out.

8. Win545

Win545 Senior member

I wear Alden Barrie/Van 7.5D Aberdeen 8D and i used to own hiro double monk UK7. I found that the toe box area is a bit tight but the heel cup is wide making my heels slip. Even though its not a great fit, going up half size will definitely be too loose in the heel. I recommend the elton last instead, as of now i have changed from hiro to elton, same size, but fit a lot better.

PS. IMO If you are looking for a sleek double monk or even oxford, hiro is not a great choice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Thanks, I am considering the chestnut country calf pair so don't mind the less sleek last.

10. xiaopigu

xiaopigu Active Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know when Meermin will produce the Cherry Shell Cordovan again? Or have they stopped making cordovan boots?

https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=72

Also I am a 7E brannock size, would you know what Hiro size would fit me best? I'm thinking 6UK but not 100% sure

Thanks,

X

11. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

1 down from brannock is the general recommendation. Those boots were a GMTO, so they were never carried in stock. They may come back or not... so your best bet is to email Meermin or otherwise contact them directly to ask.

12. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

What are your thoughts on their new single monk, I've noticed they only have it in black at the moment, but have a burgundy MTO, I think it would look lovely in chocolate suede...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  13. nybbep

nybbep Member

Hello quick question, would appreciate something to compare against.

What is your feet length & width and what size do you wear in the Elton last?
    How do you perceive the fit?

14. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

I think those would look pretty killer in suede.

15. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

Shall we get an MTO?

16. riton

riton Senior member

I love this red/burgundy color ! How did you do ? What product did you use ?

Thanks !

17. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

I'm good on suede shoes but I appreciate the sentiment :)

18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone experience the suede being a bit thinner than calf on the same sole? Curious whether it's enough of a difference to size down half a size. I wear UK8 in Hiro, very content with the shoe overall. Was snug at first and took a while to break in and eventually I ended up having to install some tongue pads. Still wears great to this day, about 2 years now.

19. Maxim Olar

Maxim Olar New Member

Hello Gentlemen!

I'm dreaming of ordering a pair of 101540 - black calf oxfords on an Elton last and I really need your size advice.

There's not much that I can compare with, due to my location and poor assortment of shoes. But I'm wearing LOAKE UK 8F. I have aldrich and outlaw of there 1880 range. They fit me perfectly.

I wonder if I should order size 8 from Meermin? It's important due to my location, the shipping cost is quite high, so if I miss the size I'd pay another pair of shoes to return them :)

I'd be very grateful for you help. Thank you in advance.

Here they are [​IMG]

20. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

Have you tried emailing Meermin with your query, they will get back to you with measurements of the shoe which you can then compare to your Loake's? They will then recommend a size for you which worked well for me! I am normally a 7 and went for a 7.5 in the Hiro Double Monks and Balmoral Boots. Thanks, Nick