• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blueandwhite

Reaction score
Only the first ones if you're going to wear them with jeans. The other two are a bit too formal fro that with the closed lacing. Why not get a navy string or penny loafer? The last is better looking than the derby and it's a more elegant shoe altogether. Navy suede isn't that versatile, so if you don't have many shoes I'd suggest going for snuff or chocolate.
Hello!

I have quite a lot of brown shoes already. Tan double monks from Meermin. Tan penny loafers from Carmina. Those are the ones I can definitely pair off with my jeans. Hence I was thinking that a navy suede pair will be handy for non-blue trousers or shorts. The last and the details are putting me off from the derby. Very good call for the navy tassel/penny loafers though thanks for that!

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some feedback on which of the 3 below will be the most preferred navy suede shoe. It'd be primarily used for casual occasions/ every other day wear to school or out in town.

None of the above. I'm with you that the shape and stitching (and the trim on the eyelet tabs) rule out the navy. And I don't like the brown for how you plan to wear them. Like the previous reply said, closed lacing is too formal. And I think the whole cut is definitely too sleek.

I'll offer a couple non-Meermin ideas here in the Spoiler.
http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/dress_shoes/newtonlight?coloris=velours_marine
newtonlight-velours_marine-Profil.jpeg

503229059_product_3

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/bar...uchers-503229059.html?index=2&q=suede blucher

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shoe...=Shoes&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer

blueandwhite

Reaction score
None of the above. I'm with you that the shape and stitching (and the trim on the eyelet tabs) rule out the navy. And I don't like the brown for how you plan to wear them. Like the previous reply said, closed lacing is too formal. And I think the whole cut is definitely too sleek.

I'll offer a couple non-Meermin ideas here in the Spoiler.
http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/dress_shoes/newtonlight?coloris=velours_marine
newtonlight-velours_marine-Profil.jpeg

503229059_product_3

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/bar...uchers-503229059.html?index=2&q=suede blucher

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shoe...=Shoes&prefn1=collection&prefv1=Spring/Summer
All very good recommendations thanks! Any experience with shoes from Barneys by any chance?

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I picked up a couple dress shoes from their house line--pretty nice. Good leather, good construction, true to size. Definitely a leap of faith because of the no-returns policy, but if you hit it right it'll be a great value (assuming you wait for one of their 30-50% deals).

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First pair Meermin's in-house today. Snuff Monks on Hiro last.
So far I like the last and the quality seems very good for the price.
The Danite like sole is pretty comfortable.
Got a matching belt which seems very respectable as well.
overall good impression on the value.

Last edited:

B Rad

Reaction score
Hey guys, being colorblind I was wondering what color suits you wear with the plum museum? Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Light grey would be excellent.

It's a summery, casual colour, so would look odd with a navy chalk stripe DB. But I think pretty much anything that's a notch down in formality - beige linen, Air Force blue, grey blazer suit, etc - would work pretty well. And I think lighter colours are better.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Hey guys, being colorblind I was wondering what color suits you wear with the plum museum? Thanks!

Here is an good primer on color combinations.
http://www.academichic.com/2009/02/02/fashion-101-how-to-combine-colors/

if you follow it rotely you will be better than most even if you cant see the differences between two shades of colors.

Not sure if you can can see how saturated a color is. But that is also sometimes important.

Also I believe the plum museum can almost be used like brown shoes. (Think of it is an slightly less formal brown shoe. And definetly not an informal shoe.)

Last edited:

B Rad

Reaction score
Thanks for the information - and the helpful color guide link! I just wanted to make sure it would match some (any?) of my suits before making the purchase. And I have no light-grey suits - but a mid-grey, navy, blue pinstripe, and charcoal. Sounds like mixed reviews, but I should be able to pull it off with at least the mid-grey (and maybe the blue pinstripe and navy?).

leetpuma

Reaction score
Thanks for the information - and the helpful color guide link! I just wanted to make sure it would match some (any?) of my suits before making the purchase. And I have no light-grey suits - but a mid-grey, navy, blue pinstripe, and charcoal. Sounds like mixed reviews, but I should be able to pull it off with at least the mid-grey (and maybe the blue pinstripe and navy?).
I feel like it would work as an slighly less formal brown in most cases. (Grey/Black/Dark-Blue suit)

With a medium-blue suit it is the loudest since the color clashes/pops. But it is still okay to wear but maybe less so with taking to your boss.

A question for you, is red still a bright color to you?

========Aside============
I was looking around at some pictures that simulate how folks with color blindness see things and now I understand some of my firiends odd fasion choices. It would be funny to one day find out that all the goth ninjas where all folks that were colorblind.
nest.gif

Here some pics :)

Various types or color blindness:

The whole world is very different. Scary for me to think about.
==============================================

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of contemporary oxbloods, so they are slightly brighter than the plum museum (by the looks of it) anyway I wear them with mid grey, navy and lighter navy colours and they always go down a treat often with compliments, I suspect the plums would work much the same. Make sure you grab a belt though maybe the meermin burgundy or the Equus leather burgundy should also work.

As for colourblind its amazing how common it actually is, although better to have sight without colours than no sight at all. I wouldn't mind only seeing the world in black and white, everyone looks classier when you apply black and white filters to them :p

Half-Pint

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a pair of brown calf tassel loafers but I'm a bit worried about sizing. I have the Ama last in 6.5 which is a bit small both length wise and especially in the toe box. I have the Olfe last in a 7 which is like it was custom made for my foot.

I am leaning towards a 7 in the Ron last but a bit concerned that without lacing and considering they are wider than the Olfe they may be too loose?

B Rad

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys - I'm going to pull the trigger (with a burgundy belt as well)!

Also, I am definitely not totally color blind (i.e. only see in black & white). I can see and identify most standard colors, but shades are tricky for me - dark blues and purples can be indistinguishable, light greens can look like yellow, dark greens can look like brown, etc.. Apparently my form of color blindness also reduces my ability to see colors as brightly as 'normal people' - so while a bright red will definitely look bright red to me, it's just relative to how I perceive other colors and probably isn't as objectively bright as you see it.

I generally run my clothing purchases by friends to confirm colors (especially when websites don't list them explicitly, which is annoying for me) - and then just memorize what colors go with what for pairing, but "plum shoes" was a difficult one to track down. :D

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads