• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was wondering the same as it appeared quite easy, dealing with the sales manager there. Only hard thing is the wire transfer and of course working out your size and last. 

one can wire transfer through netbank, and working out the same is the same any method you take.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

well, go contact Vass direct, and that's the price you pay, don't know why people bother with proxies or group buys.

shhhhhh. dont listen to wurger. vass is very hard to work with, bad service, takes 24 hours for response, sometimes even 2 days! and dont ask for pictures to guide you, because youll receive like 5 of them, like for no reason

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may very well be correct. (Disclaimer I have never even held a carmina shoe)
But handwelting if done right is an better construction than gemming.( What truly happens behind closed doors it is hard to say. I have never seen a meermin shoe deconstructed)
DFWII makes shoes and has basically said gemming is just slightly better than cementing shoes. (DFWII has been making shoes for longer than I have been alive)
More reading by DFWII:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/153269/deconstructed-fashion-plate
http://www.styleforum.net/t/153448/gemming-the-shoe-devils-work

I have no doubt that carmina's shoes are better leather and feel better. But as I intend to wear my shoes into the ground (I mean 3x a week 1.5-2 miles on concrete not carpet).
My Meermin's have experienced trouble long before my Carminas. I don't yet have any breaks or weak points on my carminas, but all my meermins have developed something.

That isn't to say they are bad value, the repairs are usually cheap and easy, but to me it's just not the same level as Carmina.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, go contact Vass direct, and that's the price you pay, don't know why people bother with proxies or group buys.

shhhhhh. dont listen to wurger. vass is very hard to work with, bad service, takes 24 hours for response, sometimes even 2 days! and dont ask for pictures to guide you, because youll receive like 5 of them, like for no reason

:happy:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, I take quality goodwear welt over poor handwelt any day of the week.

Meermin is a very good value low cost shoemaker, but to say overall it makes better shoes compare to Carmina, well, I disagree.
Everyone has different parameters for judging quality/construction. Taking QC out of it, I'd take a handwelted Meermin over Carmina. That being said, I prefer Carmina. Easily accessible (even more so now that Paul Stuart carries them), better aesthetics, and too many "how the hell did that get shipped" issues I've seen with Meermin MTOs.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whenever I calculate it carmina is about 30% more than LM from the USA
+1
LM handwelted construction is far superior to gemming. But QC is lower.
Meermin can only really offer this b/c of their partial use of chinese labor.
Which leads to lower QC which allows for Handwelting (in a vicious circular loop that you can only break out of with a very expensive shoe.)

So with carmina the leather will last a bit longer.
And with meermin the shoe's overall construction will last far longer (As once the gemming breaks after 10+ years of wear you are effed)

The value proposition is different in Europe I suppose.

Btw, interesting discussion and very relevant, as I was doubting between getting Carmina or LM, but I think I'll save a bit longer and get Vass.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin Linea Maestro Plum Museum, Olfe last

Yowzer

Reaction score
smile.gif
Great photos wurger.. the colour in sunlight is very close to my favourite burgundy. Did you do a review on a thread somewhere? How long did it take for your order to arrive?

markfjh

Reaction score
For anyone that's interested in the brown museum calf shoes from Meermin (similar to the plum museum one and the previous GMTO), I've just emailed Meermin asking about it and they have confirmed that it will be added to their LM line on the website in 40-60 days!

I am looking forward to this model, but I have never actually purchased a pair of Meermin shoes before, is anyone able to help me out with sizing on the park, olfe, hire and ron lasts? I have a pair of black leather loafers from C&J in the 366 last in 7E UK and it fits slightly tight in the toe box width wise and slightly loose at the heel width wise, length wise it fits fine.

I am also very comfortable wearing a size 39E from local Singaporean shoemaker Ed Et Al.

I know this isn't much to work with so any help is appreciated :)

Yowzer

Reaction score
I don't review shoes any more, just photos. Great shoes for the price I paid for them. My pair was in stock, so only a week.
Same shoe size for Meermin as your Strands? I wonder if the Meermin E is narrower than a standard UK F.

Yowzer

Reaction score
Looks like a justifiable risk. The Capital is a tad spacious for me. Ta.

Edit: Trigger pulled. Now the waiting begins...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads