Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Some sizing experience:

I was advised to take UK9 of the Hiro last for my 27.3 cm long feet - the shoes turned out to be pretty huge at 29.2 cm (!)

Combined with the rather shallow heel (5.5 cm deep) I´m experiencing some very serious heel slipping even with both buckles fastened as tightly as possible.

Currently awaiting return and exchange instructions. On the upside, mail response was lightning fast as always (9 min!)

I suppose there is a faint chance that some of the heel slipping will go away as the shoe is walked in and the cork at the heel becomes more compressed making the shoe deeper, but I´m afraid even to walk more then a few steps on the carpet in order to not render the shoes UN-returnable.

This brings me to my question: What is a safe difference between foot length and shoe length? (I realize this depends on the of the shoe model, a dubmonk in this case)

One of my best fitting shoes is a derby measuring only 4mm longer then my foot, it´s snug but never uncomfortable. To get that length on my Meermins I would have to size down to 7 or 7.5, which seems like a really scary prospect (and I doubt that their sizing advice could be two full sizes wrong). Hiro is hardly an exceptionally wide last either, nor are my feet (10cm at the ball) particularly narrow.

Was I given funky sizing advice, or is it simply my feet that are funky?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

2. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Shoe sizing is very difficult to do by measuring your foot because there are so many factors. I wouldn't buy shoes based on length measurements.

3. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Yes, I´m starting to experiece that. [​IMG]
    First-time buyer of shoe over the internet, so I realize it´ll take some learning.

4. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

If you're in Tokyo, why don't you go try them on? Isetan Shinjuku supposedly has Meermin.

5. doughie

doughie Well-Known Member

Are a pair of Church's worth 100 euros more then Meermin?

6. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Good idea. I would, but I´m currently back in Europe till the end of august when I return to Tokyo. Wanted to pick up some good European shoes before then, so I don´t have to pay Tokyo prices or get slammed with the ridiculous 65% import tariff on leather shoes if you order from Europe to Japan.[/FONT]

7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

65%? damn that's some serious tariff.

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Now I feel bad for complaining about Norway's VAT.

9. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

To be precise, 60% of it is tariff, 5% is VAT, however shippments with a value below 10.000 (about 95 euro) are not subject to it. Buying from shady E-bayers willing to write down the value (esp. if it's used shoes) is still a possibility.

10. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

For the dubmunks on the Hiro last, I suggest you take your usual UK size, or US size -1, i.e. US9 = UK8 on the Hiro last. That worked for me and I find it fits quite tts that way. A couple of members have taken Pepe's advice to convert only ½ size between US and UK size, i.e. US9 = UK8.5 and have found their shoes to be too big...

Fwiw, Meermin can give you complete measurements, including last length and width, as well as recommended foot length. Last length won't be very useful, but you can compare your own measurements against the last width and recommended foot length.

11. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I got the last measurements for the 8-9 sizes as follows.[/FONT]

Quote:

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Going to ask about recommended foot length.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]I honestly don´t how much bigger the last needs to be then the foot[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][FONT=arial, sans-serif]for a good fit, but my best fitting shoe is 28.2 cm long inside (foot[/FONT]
    length[FONT=arial, sans-serif] plus 9mm). The shoe is question is EU size 43, as are my other footwear.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]This suggest sthat UK8 would be right for me (albeit 1mm tighter), provided that last length is about equal to inside sole length.[/FONT]

It appears that Meermin covers return shipping for the new pairs if you decide to change sizes, so exchanging for smaller pairs should not be too costly. Only thing that has me worried is that I´ve walked 10 or less steps in the shoes (on a soft carpet) in the shoes, and their terms & conditions state that returned items need to be in "unworn" condition, and despite walking carefully, there is indeed some very faint signs of creasing.

I´m a first time buyer of shoes over the net and really not sure what the typical shoe manufactures policy is here. But surely this cannot be enough to disqualify them for a return?

12. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

The length of the last is not a good indicator of how a shoe will fit, so you should stop focusing on that. Some lasts are known to be long, yet fit very tts.

See below for complete measurements for UK8 and UK8.5, incl. recommended foot length.

And fwiw, my experience has generally been EUR42 = UK8 = US9

13. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

How to contact Jose?? I'm trying the get the wholecut in navy suede.

Thanks,

14. Jmen

Jmen Well-Known Member

Just use the contact form on their site, that'll put you in contact with José.

15. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]You're clearly right about that, as my foot is very close to the recommended length for UK9 and still give me heavy slipping.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]I suppose that only leaves trial & error, short of taking the plane to Madrid.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Thanks for the input. [/FONT]