1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I agree that the double monks are amazing, but they are not for everyone.

2. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I don't like PTB's at all, but that's just a personal opinion, it seems to be an american obsession. No reason to stay away from double monks, but they require much more than the regular (poorly fitted/"dad) jeans and polo.

Edit: Made it a little more clear.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  4. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Any particular reason to stay away from the double monks other than you may not like that particular style??

Wore my DM's with exactly that just yesterday :confused: any reason why i shouldnt have ?????

5. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

It's just a bit more difficult to pull off. From Meermin's linea classic offerings the most suitable/ least uptight options for jeans and slacks are indeed the suede boots or the derbies. Of course, a stylish guy will be able to get away with fancier stuff, in this case a double monk- which our friend Lino of Al Bazar have surely worn with jeans and fancy double breasted blazers. As a general advice, provided also that no one knows how the other person asking looks like, double monks doesn't work as well as the aforementioned boots and derbies to be worn in a jeans/slacks/polo situation. That doesn't mean it wouldn't look good, but it will take a bit more effort.

A.k.a. don't just get them because they're 'hip'. (When did the double monk trend start anyway? Was it ever trendy?)

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I own a pair of C&J Lowndes which I love, I have nothing against DM at all. The thing is that they are quite special shoes, and therefore need an extra attention to detail. As you can see madkap has only one post, and I took it for granted he's quite new in the game. A pair of "dad jeans" or an outfit such as the one below would look off with a pair of DM.

[​IMG]

This looks much better:

[​IMG]

DM needs a lot more attention to fit and detail than a pair of longwings and chukkas. I'm not saying that madkap wears poorly fitted clothes, but I see a lot of beginners with weird fits where a pair of DMs would just make it look ridiculous.

Edit: Some seconds too late, but fully agree. DM with jeans and polo are one of my favorite looks if done right.

7. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

I've always felt that Double Monks with anything but a simple, straight captoe look a little off. The buckle is your detail so there's really no need for broguing or wingtips. Even GG, who make some of the most perfect looking shoes out there can't make a brogued DM look "Balanced". (All in my opinion of course)

Also Meermin question: How accurate were their RTW shipping estimates? Was told mine would be here within 20 days and that's me at 19 with nothing yet - going away on the 29th and I'd really like my shoes t have arrived by then

8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I'm at work so I just used one of the first things Google gave me. I agree on the wingtip, but I was talking about the socks and pants which looks a whole lot better with a pair of DM than the other ensemble would have done.

9. Needsmoreshoes

I thought so and totally agree - as a style of shoe goes you really need to make sure the rest of the outfit can carry them or you'll look a little odd seeing as it's such an aggressive style of shoe. Love the style to bits though.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If those dad pants were to fit properly I wouldn't see the problem in wearing double monks with them. The problem is nothing he is wearing fits. But of course to wear double monks with such an outfit, I think they would need to be made in a less sleek last...

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Well, yes, of course. I can summarize it; double monks' versatility depends very much on your style.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, it's just the old dm discussion. imo, dm's are hideous and tacky hence i do not own any. actually, i pulled a leg or two about this. tbh, i do not care. no one in my social environment wears them either. so i just have the fun on the interwebz.... carry on.

13. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

$16.49, according to my FedEx invoice. Still not bad at all.

14. kmcq

kmcq Member

I really like the longwing and PTB for jeans. I'd settled on the plain blucher, but had delayed my order because I can't get that longwing out of my mind.

15. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Incidentally the new GQ has a double spread on monks and how to wear them.

16. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Those look awesome

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

dont wear dress shoes with jeans-the proportions look off. like some have mentioned, the best option Meermin has available is the longwing followed by the double monk preferably on double leather. please do not wear a single-soled balmoral captoe lace-up with jeans. just dont

18. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

What about the suede balmorals?

19. Needsmoreshoes

All oxfords look fine with jeans (Bar black oxfords) as long as they have some form of informal detail to them - be it broguing a captoe or an informal texture like scotchgrain or suede

20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

FTFY.