1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

If they stop doing dumb stuff people wouldn't have a reason. People come in here to bash when they don't get a response from Meermin. You look at other shoe threads like Carmina, CU, Herrings...I know first hand other places make mistakes and sometimes have QC issues, you don't see it in the thread though because most people go back to the merchant first and their customer service responds and sorts it out.

Even this rollout with the prices..poorly communicated and executed hence frustration hence bashing.

I would say the reason this thread feels like its a lot of bashing is because Meermin hasn't fixed any of their issues. I can go back and a year ago and see Luxire copping a lot of flak because they weren't responding to customer services and there were miscommunications and poorly made orders happening. They actually fixed all those items and now the thread reads like they are awesome (which they are). If the price increase covers hiring someone new to look after customer service it will be a good start for them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. Ironist

Ironist Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. I was off the meermin train awhile ago. All the fun went away when they took out GMTO. Their standard offerings aren't even worth looking at. The hey day of meermin was back when they first started and people getting a ton of MTO / GMTO every month. Now they just put out the same standard models in different colors under the guise that you have more options when you really don't.

Love my old english meermins but there's literally nothing to differentiate this maker anymore. Hand Welted? Museum Calf? Sleek Lasts? MTO/GMTO? British quality shoes at lower prices? The landscape has changed a lot since Meermin first came here. Can get much better models and quality from Carmina or Yanko. Best off just GMTO or MTO with either of them.

It was really on its last legs and literally the only thing it had going for it was its price.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. Southeasterly

Southeasterly Active Member

I think it's unfortunate for those of us in the states that Meermin has adopted this new pricing policy. However, this is a pretty common practice in many businesses and I don't feel like all of the animosity is justified (except for those folks that ordered in one price and were charged another - that's simply unacceptable). The market will send them a message and I suspect they will respond in kind. For all we know, the lost sales will be more than offset by the higher margins, but I doubt it. In the long run, offering the product in the local currency is almost certainly beneficial if the pricing is done right.

4. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Well-Known Member

So with Meermin now giving us now the big FU, what other brands/threads do you guys recommend I check out to snag comparable shoe?

I'm sure in a few month to a year the Euro will rebound and this may become an advantage. About a year ago 1 euro was at 1.39$ the 140euro classic line was 194$.

1 person likes this.
  5. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Quote:I am thinking of checking out Yanko. There are a few reports of them on this board and a dedivated thread, but its sparse in terms of first hand, recent reports. If the Euro gets back up to $1.39, I fully expect to come back into this thread and read about Meermin's new worldwide pricing model to have everyone pay in Euros to make the market place consistent, blah blah... :)

6. Romans116

Romans116 Well-Known Member

Quote:What other business have pricing policies like this?

7. Muey

Muey Well-Known Member

Yoox comes to mind.

8. loxo

loxo Well-Known Member

For the price, Carmina seems to be the brand most are heading towards after Meermin. I just bought a pair of ankle boots from their website for not much more than I paid for the Meermins I returned. http://www.gentlemensfootwear.com and http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se (both of which have affiliate threads here on SF) carry Carmina.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Well-Known Member

In January I went to Meermin, Carmina and Berwick (Madrid stores). In my opinion, quality-price the best would be Berwick. I dont like Meermin at all, and Carmina is expensive for the quality. Is more or less the same as Yanko but way more expensive. Other brands I like are George's, Barrats and Lottusse, which are way cheaper than Meermin, Carmina and Berwick and deliver pretty good quality for the price (sales price I mean).

10. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

Yanko is the same price or more than Carmina to the US right now. Carmina is about $335 +$25 shipping. Yanko is $400+.

11. tanbar

tanbar Well-Known Member

Carmina has free shipping now for orders over 250 EUR, although you'll end up paying something around that $25 for customs anyways.

12. Jmm722

Jmm722 Well-Known Member

I know, I went through Skoak because he had the colors I wanted for less. I also had it shipped standard mail instead of Fedex. So I may not get customs charges. IME USPS, Royal Mail, etc. has never hit me for customs fees.

13. 02///M3

02///M3 Well-Known Member

All I can say is I love my Yankos. I own the classic line Meermin cap toes and the Yankos are much more shoe. That said, they are definitely pricier, but if you check the Yanko thread, there seem to be some places selling them at reasonable prices in Europe.

14. Usonian

Usonian Well-Known Member

So after all this, I'm still not convinced to jump ship. I haven't even received my first pair yet, or even been billed for it, so we shall see how that goes, but I don't think the increase in price is really awful. They still have a lot of styles that I really want that I can't really find at similar prices, unfortunately. I may have to dig harder, but I haven't found much else for the 250ish prices I'm looking for with the right style. Provided they fit properly...

I think a lot of animosity is coming out in these past several pages, but for those of us that don't have a wide repertoire of fancy footwear, nor the budget for it, would Meermin still be worth it? For those of us that are still young, and trying to get our feet wet, and Meermin just so happens to fulfill the style requirements.

15. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

Yanko is cheaper than Carmina. Patine and Skolyx will deduct vat for you if you e-mail to ask.

16. jko

jko Well-Known Member

Pretty much every business that handles distribution in multiple currency areas.

17. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Well-Known Member

In Spain Yanko tends to be a bit less expensive, but the final price for both (Yanko and Carmina) depends on final sales prices each year. If anyone is interested I am selling a pair of Yanko shoes through marketplace. Bought them for me and never really fitted (a bit small). I think I didnt even wore them on the street... USD 89.

I also saw in these threads that some people make bulk orders of shoes to get a discount. I wonder why not finding someone to buy directly for you guys in Madrid, because some shoes might be on sale and be a lot cheaper; maybe it is just specific models but it might be a pretty good saving. In Spain I think Carmina is perceived as expensive for the quality, which is really good, but still expensive as there are so many option. Spain produces high quality shoes; there are many brands.

I also wonder how Berwick, Barrats or Lottusse are perceived in the US, if available..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  18. moixet

moixet Well-Known Member

in my opinion you can't compare Carmina with other spanish brands, Carmina use the best materials, including Hoween Cordovan.
    I compare Carmina quality with Alden not with Barrats, Yanko or Lotusse.

19. Romans116

Romans116 Well-Known Member

Quote:most business dealing with multiple currency's just adjusts the price based on a currency calculation. Meermin may not be run by the best business men but i suppose these shoe companies aren't huge entities so who cares i guess.

20. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'm trying to pay for a meermin shoe and on the last step of payment processing I keep getting "Error in communication with the business. Please try again later"

I tried contacting Meermin but they aren't responsive. !