1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

I love the back and forth and quasi hostile comments regarding the pricing change as it relates to Americans. Some really snarky/great comments from both sides so thanks for giving me a quick laugh. I will say that the way Meermin went about this change is down right insulting. If you are going to change your pricing policy put a post on your blog/website and give people time to acknowledge the change. In my dealings with some AV's on the forum who deal in European goods they have been extremely transparent regarding pricing changes and I have even received small discounts from some vendors due to the rise in the dollar against the euro. That is money that comes out of the AV's end because they set the US price. They are passing along their savings to the customer. Meermin can and will charge whatever they want but they should send an email blast and let people know the change. Invoicing someone in one currency and then doing a bait and switch is ridiculous. I wouldn't even return the shoes i would do a chargeback. That is essentially what they did. At this price it is Carmina all the way.

2. jko

jko Senior member

Yes. What other makers are we looking at, at the Classic Collection price point?

3. riton

riton Senior member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  4. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Haha - we are on the same page man! My comment was facetious in nature and made in jest. It is, however, extremely dishonest to change the currency after a customer has already been invoiced. It is also a poor strategy to price goods in different currencies. If their product is worth 300 euros they will be paid 300 euros no matter where the purchaser is located. Before the euro fell against the dollar it cost us more money to purchase the goods. Now the euro falls and they are trying to capitalize. I am pretty sure America or Japan is the largest purchaser or their goods - does not make sense to alienate one of their largest customers. I realize businesses' are loathe to disclose pricing changes, but this is not the standard annual 3% inflation increase. It is sneaky and offensive.

1 person likes this.
  5. Romans116

Romans116 Well-Known Member

Doesn't Meermin stand for male mermaid???

6. booger

booger Senior member

Went for the snuff suede Chelsea boots and DAMN. I'm in love. No imperfections that I've noticed. Seemed to be built pretty solid.

Was worried about sizing since their seemed be a tiny bit of conflicting info I was reading here and elsewhere, but ultimately went with what I read on here and the fit is perfect. Thanks for all the help, guys.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. riton

riton Senior member

My guess is they think they "give a service" by allowing Americans to purchase in USD (I can understand because it is easier for you guys to compare things in USD) but they want to protect themselves against currency exchange volatility and in the process score a better margin.

That huge price increase may backlash. If many people complain, maybe Meermin will think again.

I agree with you jko, if one is used to purchase Meermin from its classic collection, purchasing Carmina is a huge stretch, not for a LM customer.

I don't see any serious contender to classic Meermin when factoring the price, diversity of style and quality (albeit QC issues sometimes)

8. riton

riton Senior member

well one is clearer than the other unless you haven't brush the suede in the same direction

9. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Quote:Allen Edmonds 2nds, Cobbler Union, Magnanni, To Boot New York, A. Testoni Basic, Bruno Magli and I am sure others that I am forgetting are regularly available in this same price point, largely wit mc better ability to deternine size/ lower shipping costs/ no customs fees. I'm not saying Meermin isnt compelling at this price, but they have certainly brought a number of other competitors ino the conversation.

1 person likes this.
  10. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I am losing interest in being irritated with Meermin. I dont think they've handled this situation well and they will lose some customers, but its done. I havent decided yet whether I will complete my purchase or not, but there are so many other things I can put my energy into that I am kind of done with this.

11. riton

riton Senior member

The websites you mentioned list shoes around 400 USD, the price point I was talking about incl. shipping to US is more around 210 USD (classic collection oxford, monks ) at most 280 USD for boots. I have excluded customs fees, I live on the other side of the pond and don't know how much US customs charge you guys.

But good choice of brands !

I feel you, I am frustrated with Meermin. They will for sure lose some business because of pricing, QC issues and poor communication.

12. booger

booger Senior member

it's just the lighting. There's no discoloration and the shading's not off.

13. riton

riton Senior member

well, lucky you. I can't say the same with the navy double monks I received last week, getting a shoe from them is a lottery.

14. jko

jko Senior member

It just might be that the first issue will sort out the last two.

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I think pricing is going to kill them worse than any QC etc because that was always only a minimal issue for some.

Its not just US customers that were affected, the price increase is around $50AUD for Australian customers and since it looks like they are now collecting the VAT rather than deducting it that's basically another $60-70AUD on top of that.

I rate Meermin LM line up there with Carmina, definitely not some night and day difference like some members would make them out to be, but the advantage they had was price; unless they can match carmina in delivery speed, customer service and returns/exchanges then no idea why you'd still go with them.

16. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

17. loxo

loxo Senior member

18. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

As long as the EU prices stayed untouched, I'll stick with Meermin.

There's no way I'd pay higher prices AND deal with the possiblity of QC issues as well as the certainty of mediocre customer service.

19. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

As a fellow Australian I was shocked at the price hike when I logged in the other day. Like someone said, getting a shoe from them is like a lottery, and at the new price point, it's just not worth taking the risk for me.

20. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Meermin seems like everyone's favorite brand to bash. You really don't see this kind of hate in any other shoe thread lol.