1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

In a nice surpirse Fedex is due to deliver my cherry cordovan boots tonight! Left Spain Saturday and on truck for delivery in NY today. Great stuff. I will throw some pics up later tonight. Unfortunately I wont be able to take pics in sunlight until this weekend most likely. Hopefully I can take some closely accurate shots.

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

sounds good. would like to read some comments on the leather as well. i'm wondering whether the leather is much thinner and dryer than horween. i wonder whether Meermin shell is a great alternative for the frugal buyer who endeavors shell without paying the $600+ price tag associated with the likes such as AE, Vass, Carmina, Alden etc.

since it's g-1, we should know what to expect in terms of construction quality and aesthetics. i actually don't mind the g-1 construction, with the exception of a better footbed, which takes forever to conform to my feet.

3. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

I'm curious about the leather quality myself. It is kind of perplexing why they chose to use goodyear welting when they have a handwleting operation. With a premium material like shell you would think they would want to showcase their handwelting skills. I own shell shoes from the aforementioned companies so hopefully I can give an accurate comparison. My hunch is they went with goodyear for the expediency of manufacturing. I would also imagine shell might be a difficult material to handwelt. Pure speculation though on my part.

4. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

Received my first pair of meermin oxfords on the HIRO last. I love the shoes. defintely going to take some breaking in because my feet were hurting after a short while.

My question is regarding size. They feel okay in the width, but there is approximately 1/2 inch gap in toe area above my big toe. I struggle to get into the size 9 as it is. Wondering if next time around I should size down.. just scared the 8.5 will be too small.

5. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

I got my Snuff Suede Chelsea boots today. With the exception of some uneven suede nap and some small pen marks, that will be covered by my trousers anyway, I love them! Oh, and reno as well, hey for $13 that's the best deal in town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. GeneralBurnside

GeneralBurnside New Member

Any idea if the shipping is staggered for these? I have not received my request for payment yet.

7. loxo

loxo Senior member

Has anyone ever sent anything back to Meermin? I sent my chestnut adelaides back for repair and they've been stuck in customs since the 23rd. I've never shipped overseas, so maybe its normal.. but a week and a half is a long time to sit around..

8. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

I sent back a pair of double monks that were squeaking. I think it took about 2 weeks for meermin to receive them. They emailed me and sent a replacement pair very quickly. I think its not uncommon for customs to take a while processing these packages. You marked your package "returned goods" right?

9. loxo

loxo Senior member

Okay, good to know. Thank you. I'll give it at least another week before I inquire. Yeah, I marked them returned merchandise, but hopefully I didn't screw something else up on the customs form.

10. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Yeah you should be okay then. At least you know it's in customs not lost.

11. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

They are staggering them, should be done by the end of the week.

DL-

12. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Alright gents here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am VERY impressed with how these came out. I have not found any defects whatsoever and they did a very good job matching the shell panels. Only difference in color I can see is on the shaft of the left boot - and thats a minor point really. The color of the cherry cordovan is great. There are brown, red, and burgundy tones. Fantastic stuff. It does seem a little dull - it does not have that high glossy shine of new alden cordovan. In terms of the quality of this japanese cordovan I'm impressed. There are no splotches or vein marks that I can see. There is no streaking in the dye process. And the weight seems to be on par with horween - if ever so slightly thinner. I would not hesitate to jump on a meermin cordovan run in the future - at their prices, as far as I am concerned, these boots are a steal. They will get some heavy use so I will update how the cordovan ages over the next few months. Daylight pics to follow when we get some better weather.

6 people like this.
  13. gsasso

gsasso Active Member

Those look great! Makes me much happier that I jumped on the new boot. Cant wait to see some natural light pictures as well.

14. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Thanks for the comments and pics NewYawker. Those look good, might be different in natural light but from those pics the colour looks pretty similar to my carmina burgundy shells so im somewhat glad I didn't jump on these.

15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

This is a cross post from the Australian Members thread but I thought this would be of interest to people in here. The users references it as ruby shell but Im very certain that's the Cherry shell in natural light.

2 people like this.
  16. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Thanks G! You will not be disappointed. I had some hesitation when I first ordered, but that was misplaced when I opened the box for these.

17. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Yeah the color is a little hard to capture without sunlight. I have some carmina burgundy shell and the color is definitely close. The other aussie members pics are fantastic. Definitely captures closer to the true color. I would agree he also has the cherry cordovan boots, not ruby cordovan. But like I said I definitely feel the quality is there, I would not hesitate on a future run of something different.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  18. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

Just purchased 2 pairs of Meermin shoes. My first Meermins. I usually do Allen Edmonds, but the prices are too good to pass up:

1) Brown Crust Derby Boot because AE doesn't sell a decent boot right now other than the Dalton.
    2) Linea Maestro Burgundy Naturcalf

I am pretty excited for these and, from what I understand, it's a good deal for $495 shipped. (Daltons would have been $425 alone).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  19. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

Are Meermin a bit slow when it comes to shipping?

I contacted them last week asking about a particular model and they told me they had it in stock at the Madrid store. I got order and payment confirmation on Sunday, but they haven't sent me an email saying it's been shipped.

Maybe I'm too used to big retailers shipping orders in less than 24 hours. :)

20. MxmHrpr

MxmHrpr Active Member

So got my black wholecuts in the post. (Will post in here with impressions in a bit.)

One issue though is that when I came to tighten the laces they snapped literally on the first time I fastened them. The break wasn't a typical lace snap from being too vicious, it was more of a unwravel, which makes me think it was a lemon pair.

Is it reasonable to ask Meermin for a new pair or should I just suck it up?