1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Yeah it does seem really quick right? I was expecting feb/march delivery. Im really curious to see how these turned out - especially using cordovan other than horween. Barring any customs mishaps I should have them tuesday/wednesday night. Good thing I will actually get to wear them in winter.

2. madridista

madridista Well-Known Member

Yes, very curious as well. These are the only two references I have found about Meermin's Japanese shell cordovan. Supposedly it is thinner and softer than Horween shell cordovan, but hold up well. It also mentions that it has mottled effect which we can see in the Meermin GMTO webpage as well kind of like museum shell cordovan.
    http://putthison.com/post/89167464353/that-time-i-designed-a-pair-of-shoes-i-designed-a
    http://putthison.com/post/103218039208/327-shell-cordovan-shoes-of-potential-interest

It is weird I am more excited about these than DOAK galways I received yesterday [​IMG]

3. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Sorry jeze I did not see your post earlier. I paid for these on October 22nd so that would put these at about an 8 - 10 week production. Defintiely very quick.

4. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

Thanks for the link mardri. Ive heard good things about comipel, not so good things about the tannery in argentina, so curious to see how this leather holds up. Brooks brothers uses a japanese tannery for some of their shell wallets and small leather accessories so I wonder if the leather is from the same supplier. I would definitely be more pumped for the galways. Those are next on my list.

5. thejoeyli

thejoeyli Member

Hi guys, I just received a beautiful pair of dark brown calf double monks. Decided to pull the trigger on them after spending a long time looking for a pair of monks. However, I got a UK8.5 (wasn't completely sure about sizing so I followed their size conversion) and I'm having a lot of heel slippage after wearing them once outside, particularly when walking uphill. Anyone have the same problem with heel slip? Alternatively I think I might need to size down to UK8, if anyone has a pair of pretty new brown calf monks in that size and needs a UK8.5 I'd be willing to work out a trade through PM.

6. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get an idea of sizing for the Hiro last.

Most of my dress shoes are U.S. 8.5, and I measure as an 8.5 on a Brannock. As far as specific shoes, the sizes are:

U.S. 8 in CDB
    U.S. 8.5 in Red Wing Beckmans
    AE 5-Last: Originally purchased Strands in 8.5D, was a little tight in width, fits well after being stretched a bit. For my Park Aves, I went to the store and tried on a bunch of different sizes and found that 8E fits me best.

Given the research I've done, I think a U.K. 7.5 would probably fit best in the Hiro last, though maybe U.K. 8 is the way to go. I'd appreciate getting some additional input before going ahead and making the purchase. The main thing I'm concerned about is the width. I was able to try on Carmina shoes in Paris a few weeks ago in the Rain and Inca last, and I found that width-wise, the U.K. 8 fit me best in those lasts. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. thejoeyli

thejoeyli Member

Hey man. I'm a US9 in both CDB and Beckmans and UK8.5 is too big for me, I'll probably go for a UK8. I think UK7.5 may work for you since we're a half-size difference in the Red Wing. The Hiro is pretty narrow though, though I can't make any comparison to AE.

8. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the U.K. 7.5. I emailed Meermin and they gave me measurements for the U.K. 7, 7.5, and 8.

L 290mm shoe outsole 7UK
    W 103 mm shoe outsole 7UK
    L 272 mm last insole 7UK
    W 097mm last insole 7UK
    Foot 25.4 cm 7UK

L 294 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
    W 104 mm shoe outsole 7.5UK
    L 276 mm last insole 7.5UK
    W 099 mm last insole 7.5UK
    Foot 25.8 cm 7.5UK

L 298 mm shoe outsole 8UK
    W 105 mm shoe outsole 8UK
    L 280 mm last insole 8UK
    W 101 mm last insole 8UK
    Foot 26.3 cm 8UK

I just measured my foot with socks and it came out to be 268mm in length and about 98mm in width, so I'm definitely leaning towards the 7.5.

9. jko

jko Senior member

Judging by the shoes you wear and your Brannock size, I'd say 7.5UK.

Judging by your measurement, I'd say 8.5UK.

You need about 15 mm of extra space in the shoe to account for foot movement. Your 268 mm + 15 mm = 283 mm. This is the size of your last (outsole measurements are meaningless). If you look at the measurements Meermin gave you, you'll notice that the last length increases 4 mm per half size. 8UK = 280 mm = too small for you. 8.5UK = 284 mm = perfect.

Either you wear shoes too small or you measured wrong. Or maybe you wore super thick socks?

10. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

I received my GMTO brown leather/brown grain balmoral boots on the Olfe last (https://meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=56), and they're really nice:

[​IMG]

But I've noticed a couple of defects, some are minor but some seem like they might be a problem. I like the boots, but I also want them to last. I'll probably contact Meermin to show them the defects, but I'm curious what kind of service people have had with regard to Meermin customer service handling an issue like this?

First the leather has a tear on the front of this one:
    [​IMG]

Then some rippling and a dent in the instep of the left boot, as well as a "ridge" that runs parallel to the sole just above the instep (tough to photograph):
    [​IMG]

Another shot that shows the "ridge" a bit better:
    [​IMG]

11. jamie411

jamie411 Senior member

Some discoloration on the grain on each boot (same spot!), that I'm not really worried about, since i could correct it with some polish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a small cut in the leather (doesn't go through the leather, just the top layer):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the cap toes is just slightly crooked as well, but its hard to photograph and nobody but me will ever notice.

I don't expect my shoes to be flawless, but these have quite a few QC issues and border on being seconds-quality, I think. While I don't think it affects the use of the boots, I think the rippling/dent/ridge on the instep is the most obvious and annoying issue, since I'll see it every time I cross my legs!

So, should these be returned? Should I ask for a discount (do they even do that?)? Thoughts?

12. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

No expert here but see no issues here

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I mentioned awhile ago that my 1.5+ years Hiro lasted oxford shoes started squeaking in the right foot about a month ago.

Today I picked up the pair after getting a full resole, and the cobbler said the shank was loose. Photos up later, but they look amazing.

Shoes saved!

(FWIW I have yet to wear them, so, they may end up squeaking again but the finishing looks fabulous. I have his assurances.)

14. bm93

bm93 Senior member

I appreciate the insight and explanation. I was wearing Smartwool merino socks, not the thinnest of socks, but by no means hiking socks. I probably measured wrong, as I just took another tracing of my foot (with the same socks), and this time I measured my foot to be 263mm, with the width 97mm, about the same as before. Given the 15mm of clearance, the medium thickness socks, and the fact that leather tends to stretch a bit when broken in, I think I feel comfortable going with the 7.5UK.

Thank you for the help!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Can I ask how much the resole cost? Do let us know if it fixed the issue.

16. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

$68

I was told he replaced or cleaned the shank, cleaned up the entire inners (glue and and all), and added new heel to balance the shoe (could have saved a couple of bucks if I kept the old heel).

I can give updates Monday when I wear them again.

1 person likes this.
  17. jko

jko Senior member

That sounds about right. I'm a 7.5UK in the Hiro myself and my foot is 260 mm (no socks).

18. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

Just a heads up to everyone, as I know these things go pretty fast:

[​IMG]

"A very limited run of our new boot in cherry japanese Shell Cordovan available later this afternoon through our MTO Groups. Keep tuned!!"

19. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

LMAO, I love how they post that on instagram even though its not up yet and have a calf version that's almost exactly the same. That's not misleading at all.

20. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

They're up now. About $375 plus shipping. Do you pay when you order or when they ship?