• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leetpuma

Reaction score
Another dumb question.

Is their any difference between boot versus shoe sizing in meermin?

So if I fit very snug/good fit on 7.5 UK olfe shoe
will I also fit 7.5UK olfe on an meermin boot?

Last edited:

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another dumb question.

Is their any difference between boot versus shoe sizing in meermin?

So if I fit very snug/good fit on 7.5 UK olfe shoe
will I also fit 7.5UK olfe on an meermin boot?

I think that would depend on your feet and preference.

For me its the same.

In other unrelated news, Meermin will be sourcing its museum calf from now on with Tannery Haas.

leetpuma

Reaction score
I think that would depend on your feet and preference.

For me its the same.

In other unrelated news, Meermin will be sourcing its museum calf from now on with Tannery Haas.

Thanks terror :)
I will have to try the same then

Also one other question someone may know.

Does shell cordovan expand like calf leather?
For instance I know in my calf-leather shoes started snug but after a week of wear were very comfortable. Will shell cordovan loosen up the same way?

leetpuma

Reaction score
Shell will loosen up, but it will take longer.

Ok good to know. I knew shell had a tighter grain but I wasn't sure if it would expand the same way.

I am so excited my first pair of:
1) shell
2) balmoral boots
3) sleek last/no heel slip (unlike AE :p )

Last edited:

hkpm

Reaction score
Thanks terror :)
I will have to try the same then

Also one other question someone may know.

Does shell cordovan expand like calf leather?
For instance I know in my calf-leather shoes started snug but after a week of wear were very comfortable. Will shell cordovan loosen up the same way?

From my experience, shell would not stretch, at least not the same as calf.

SRichard

Reaction score
If your willing to take a risk, I'm a us8.5 in clarks desert boots and a uk8.5 on the hiro.

The hiro fits slightly bigger than the clarks db for the above sizes. I tried the us8 on the hiro for 20 wears but it never got comfortable.
thanks!

i'm a little nervous so am going to try on some loake's & see how i go...& maybe come back & do a bit more reading if i'm still not sure

ianGP

Reaction score
so... if I were a 5.5 in Carmina's rain last and I wanted to get a Meermin shell in Hiro... would I want to stay the same size or go up half ?

Carmina's Rain last took a few wears to get it to stretch to my comfort.

francoamerican

Reaction score
Quick clarification - I apologize I can't find a clear answer:

So a MTO costs (with a base price of 260 euros) 260 euros + 100 euros for a total of 360?

thanks

leetpuma

Reaction score
Quick clarification - I apologize I can't find a clear answer:

So a MTO costs (with a base price of 260 euros) 260 euros + 100 euros for a total of 360?

thanks

Yes. Unless you can buy 6 or more then there is no MTO up charge. (That is why their are many group buys in this forum)

MTO real cost will be = 260 + 100 + Customs fees + Shipping
MTO cost in the US is someting like = 260/1.21 + 100/1.21 + ((260+100)/1.21)*.08 + 35

All numbers about are euros

Last edited:

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so... if I were a 5.5 in Carmina's rain last and I wanted to get a Meermin shell in Hiro... would I want to stay the same size or go up half ?

Carmina's Rain last took a few wears to get it to stretch to my comfort.
I take the same size in Rain and Hiro, but I find the Hiro fits me more comfortably out of the box than the Rain, which was uncomfortable across the width the first three to five wears but now fits perfectly. FWIW

eljlakers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I thought Rain was suppose to be wider than Hiro by a fair margin?
I know most people say that, but I haven't found that to be the case in my experience. I found the Rain shoes (a captoe oxford) to be much stiffer than the Meermin shoes at first, but breaking in nicely. The Hiros (a suede double monk, a suede captoe oxford, a grained captoe oxford, and calf austerity brogue) to be very comfortable across my toes straight away. Like they say, everyone's feet are different!

DavidGD

Reaction score
BackGround:
Looking to purchase 3 pairs of shoes and through a ton of reading saw that Meermin offered a good 'bang-for-buck' shoe. I currently have a pair of AE Weybridge in 10D and Herring Churchill in 9UK. My Weybridges are a tad snug but good, my Herring Churchills fit me perfectly (11028 last).

I had a great experience with Herring: communication, service, shipping, product were all great. I first looked to their Premier range again to buy the 3 new pairs (2 browns and 1 black) I need for better rotation but with a wedding coming up in the Fall of this year I started to research slightly lower cost (but comparable quality shoes), thus this is where Meermin came in.

For Meermin I was looking at the 101198 in Dark Brown (standard captoe) on the Hiro last, the 102442 in Black on the Olfie last and the 102470 Burgundy on the Olfie last.

For Herring I was looking at the Churchill in Dark Brown, the Edward II in Burgundy and the Henery II in black.

Question 1
I've emailed back and forth with Lusia and she said I can fit into the size UK9 for both the Hiro and Olfie lasts. There's a lot of discussion around fit of these lasts, but does anyone have experience with the Herring/Cheaney 11028 last in comparision with the Hiro and Olfie lasts?

Question 2
Secondly, with Meermin I have to pay for customs and wait for around 30 days for the shoes (quoted my Lusia). With Herring I wouldn't have to do wait so long or pay customs, but their Premier range is a bit more expensive than the LM range, and the Herring Classic range is more expensive than the Meermin Classic Collection. Do you guys think the Meermin LM range is better than the Herring Premier range and worth the wait and customs charges?

Appreciate the help!

-Dave

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads