1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mrbrianchu

mrbrianchu New Member

Hey Willj,

I've got that pair and I love them. I wear them work (finance office job), dinners - anything that needs me to wear proper leather shoes.

Re sizing:
    My foot is pretty bog standard but I do like my shoes fitting 'snug'.

Not sure what you mean by 'normally a US10' as sizing varies a lot between brands (and they're totally whacked when it comes to formal shoes), but if it's any help I am a US10 in Nike shoes (ie: I wear US10 Mercurial soccer shoes and they're very snug, Nike Free flyknits I'm a perfect US10), my Converse size (ie: Chucks) is also UK9.

The Olfe last is beautiful, sleek, slender-ish and gives me that snugness I like. The beauty is that the leather is good enough to stretch/contract in just the right places.
    At this price, it's magic.

Re shipping:
    Normally, they take ~2 months.
    I had an issue with the shoe you posted as it took Meermin ~3 months to deliver and I bugged them weekly at the 2 month mark - they said it was coming shortly every time, with no solid ETA. To my knowledge, Meermin batch make the classic range, so it depends on whether you get enough orders to run a batch (my guess is that's the reason mine were so delayed).

Again, if it's any help I'm giving MTO a try as you are guaranteed a 'batch' and deliver times are more or less set.

Also, welcome to the forum!
    I'm a newbie too but God I love Meermins!

#justorderedtwopairs (one for me, one for my work mate)
    https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=75
    https://www.meermin.es/grupoMTO.php?idGrupo=74

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

@Meermin come on, guys, tell us what's happening with our winter boots!

1 person likes this.
  3. 00Schneider

00Schneider Senior member

I am confused by the measurements they give out.

I received a Rui last boot in 8,5 and measured the outsole from tip to heel as 31,50 cm. They sent me the measurements as 30,60 cm. (yes, both measurements for outsole, not insole).

Now I am unsure about sizing down to 7,5 or 8. Can anyone measure a Rui last boot in 7,5 or 8 for me? Thanks.

4. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

I have emailed them twice and filled out a contact form, this is my only critique of the business model they have. I would rather see them lack in communication rather than the quality of the product.

DL-

5. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

I'm a fan of them specifically due to the price point. I own about 4 pairs from them and soon that number will jump to 7. I know the critiques exist but they should be given their kudos as well.

My first pair were the brown double-monks back in February 2013, they are worn at least 1-2 times a week since and are holding up just fine. They've walked through rain, salt, etc and are holding well. Prior to this I thought spending $200 plus on dress shoes was well outrageous, with most my pairs coming from AE second sales and a friend's AE employee discount or eBay finds. With Meermin it opened me up to the plus $200 side and now dropping that on a pair of shoes is well not a big deal.

Out of the other 3 pairs, my brown calf tassel loafers get the 2nd most wear and those were an order I placed in Madrid during Xmas time. During my time there I was allowed to exchange a pair I bought back in March; black cap toe medallion for one of the SF Brown Museum calf pairs that went unclaimed and just had to pay the difference, shoes shipped to my hotel room from Mallorca to Barcelona. Can their CS use some improvement? Yes. However, this isn't to say that it's not there.

Current line:
    1. Brown Calf Double-monks
    2. Brown Rapello Suede Double-monks
    3. Brown Calf Tassel Loafers
    4. Brown Museum Calf captoes

Coming:
    5. GMTO of Suede Adelide-delayed shipment due to me
    6. GMTO of Brown Museum Calf Austerity Brogue-delayed shipment due to me
    7. Brown Suede Tassel Loafer with Dainite Sole-eBay

Wifey:
    1. Walnut whole cut
    2. GMTO of Brown Museum Calf Austerity Brogue

6. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Nice Sartega!

Meermin is slowly creeping up as the brand I own the most as well, mainly from the reasons you listed above. It also looks like we were in the Copper Suede and Austerity GMTOs as well.

7. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

^ Love them and they're good people, they've always been to me.

It's bad though, I have so many shoes that from the 4 I currently have only 3 have been worn, and one of those 3 only once in about a year. Still have the suede double monks BNIB. From the pairs coming, the suede loafers may get the most play due to the dainite sole but we'll see. I like having new things in my closet lol.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

GMTO Shearling "Galway" boot update. Here is the message from I received from Pepe:

Ridgeway soles took some months to be made; we have just received them, so we have now started the production of the boots straight away. I hope you understand that the production cannot be started without having the soles.

Tomorrow I’ll send you some pictures of the sample we’ve made for you to share it with the participants of the group.

Thanks again for touching base, I’ll keep you updated along the coming weeks.

Very excited, I am looking forward to the final results!

DL-

9. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

My new double monks on the Park last are here, love them already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Looks great- if you wouldn't mind could you post a shot looking straight down at these?

11. jimmycth

jimmycth Active Member

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I'm looking at getting a suede chukka boot. Between Loake's Pimlico and Meermin's offering, which do you guys think is better in terms of quality? Any other suggestions within that price range?

12. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

My Snuff chukka from Meermin is my most worn piece of footwear in my stable, and it has held up very well.

DL-

13. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

Can anyone how Loake Kempton's fit compared to Meermin's chukkas?

14. tommygoodkin

tommygoodkin Well-Known Member

so excited!

15. John15

John15 Member

Loake much better

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

That really upsets me. They were supposed to ship by now. Sure, sometimes there's a delay here and there in any process, but if they were unable to start, you would think they might have told us. I wish I hadn't paid up front now, really - not much point getting winter boots in February...

1 person likes this.
  17. laufer

laufer Senior member

Well I never expected to receive them in "promised" time anyways.

1 person likes this.
  18. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Did he quote a delivery time and were all on Ridgeway sole?

20. marchonestudios

marchonestudios Member

Hello Styleforum Meermin fans!

I am looking for some sizing advice. Here are my specifics:

- I live in the Philippines. Any shoe I plan to buy would have to be shipped blind.
    - 9.5 in CBD's (which is slightly big but wearable and comfy enough, I could probably fit in 9)
    - 9E in the AE printable sizing chart
    - 9EE in AE 65 last (which was originally a 9E, but too narrow so I stretched it - probably an EE now)

Here are third party observations:

- My brother has a Meermin Hiro last 8UK shoe (I tried it; way too small and narrow for me, I could not even get my foot in when we received the shoe)
    - My brother is 8.5EEE in the brannock, but his Meermin Hiro 8UK is very snug. He would have had it exchanged for a 8.5UK or 9UK, but it costs too much to replace.

By comparing 2 shoes side by side, I suspect a 9UK Hiro is equivalent to a 9D AE 65-last.

What size would you recommend for the Rui last? I am interested in the dark brown boots (my first pair of boots outside of CBD's). My initial thoughts are not to downsize at all coming from US to UK, so 9EE 65-last ---> 9UK Rui last.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014