• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rzed

Reaction score
Off the top of my head I'd say austerity brogue in the New Rey is a no go. Would need to see one to believe it actually works. Works very well in the Olfe though (I have a pair). Think I'll Google if someone has pulled this off in the New Rey...
Why do you think new rey is a no go for an austerity?

konda

Reaction score
Just can't picture it in as an austerity. I have two pairs and when I look at them, I can't visualize them looking good as austerity brogues. Someone should Photoshop a New Rey lasted shoe into an austerity brogue.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does meermin not do wide widths anymore? Thought they told me they could do one for an upcharge.

dontquixote

Reaction score
Count me as one of the people that went with Meermin's advice and got the wrong size. Not their fault at all, but I am not going to return these puppies. Long story short, I have a pair of Classic line Olfe Captoes in size 8.5uk (dark brown). PM me with your best offers peeps!
What size US do you usually wear? and is 8.5 smaller or bigger than your usual size? thanks!

Jokanevad

Reaction score

Apart from the navy museum austerity, just wonder if anyone is interested in a plum/golden/brown museum austerity brogue?

This was what i signed up for! I vote for golden! That would be so awesome :D How many are up for golden on the amazing olfe last? ;)

griffon_id

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
FYR - Gold Museum, calf MTO, minimum 25 orders are required to pull that off.

ayush12345

Reaction score
I finally got my pair of Meermins. First, I feel more sad than happy, only because of the duty I had to pay. I got a basic but very important captoe oxford from LM line in Olfe. I was too skeptical about the Hiro last and the only thing from RTW suiting my requirement was this. I must say I am somewhat unsure about the quality of the make. I have some kind of a CRACK near the heel of the left shoe. I dont know if I should be expecting something like this. And the sole feels like a boat, as in its bulging towards the ground. I am not even sure how to explain it. I am just satisfying myself thinking it'll flatten out after a few wears. Also the fit feels snug, a little too much in my opinion but that might be because of the size. Also there feels to be a gap too much towards the toe. Looks like the welt stitch is causing that. I am hoping this pair makes me happy with the way it fits after a few wears more than what I feel right now. Till then, I am not looking to buy another pair of Meermins till I happen to be in Spain.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally got my pair of Meermins. First, I feel more sad than happy, only because of the duty I had to pay. I got a basic but very important captoe oxford from LM line in Olfe. I was too skeptical about the Hiro last and the only thing from RTW suiting my requirement was this. I must say I am somewhat unsure about the quality of the make. I have some kind of a CRACK near the heel of the left shoe. I dont know if I should be expecting something like this. And the sole feels like a boat, as in its bulging towards the ground. I am not even sure how to explain it. I am just satisfying myself thinking it'll flatten out after a few wears. Also the fit feels snug, a little too much in my opinion but that might be because of the size. Also there feels to be a gap too much towards the toe. Looks like the welt stitch is causing that. I am hoping this pair makes me happy with the way it fits after a few wears more than what I feel right now. Till then, I am not looking to buy another pair of Meermins till I happen to be in Spain.
Best thing to do would be to sell/return the shoes if you're not happy about them. Carmina captoes aren't that much more expensive than Meermin LM, and they should be a little better.

ayush12345

Reaction score
Best thing to do would be to sell/return the shoes if you're not happy about them. Carmina captoes aren't that much more expensive than Meermin LM, and they should be a little better.
I know the Carmina isn't much expensive. I also own one of them in monks. These seemed to be much more reasonable than Carminas if there was no duty on this. I just wore these shoes for like a couple of hours and they seemed to be quite nice. The snug feeling was actually feeling much better. If I have to overlook the crack, I wouldnt have a reason to send them back. I'd still not go back to buying another Meermin's till they can improve on the quality control. A couple of slight bruises can still be overlooked but a crack as big can't and shouldn't be let go. Period.
Still I am getting ahead of the feeling and trying to enjoy them. I am just wondering how the classic line shoes are holding up to be.

MRMstl

Reaction score
I know the Carmina isn't much expensive. I also own one of them in monks. These seemed to be much more reasonable than Carminas if there was no duty on this. I just wore these shoes for like a couple of hours and they seemed to be quite nice. The snug feeling was actually feeling much better. If I have to overlook the crack, I wouldnt have a reason to send them back. I'd still not go back to buying another Meermin's till they can improve on the quality control. A couple of slight bruises can still be overlooked but a crack as big can't and shouldn't be let go. Period.
Still I am getting ahead of the feeling and trying to enjoy them. I am just wondering how the classic line shoes are holding up to be.

My Olfes of the same captoe model were quite snug my first wear, but have become one of my favorite fitting shoes after 4 or 5 wears.

But the quality control issues are a different animal altogether.

REguy

Reaction score
The "curved" feeling of the soles you have when standing is completely normal.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the Carmina isn't much expensive. I also own one of them in monks. These seemed to be much more reasonable than Carminas if there was no duty on this. I just wore these shoes for like a couple of hours and they seemed to be quite nice. The snug feeling was actually feeling much better. If I have to overlook the crack, I wouldnt have a reason to send them back. I'd still not go back to buying another Meermin's till they can improve on the quality control. A couple of slight bruises can still be overlooked but a crack as big can't and shouldn't be let go. Period. 

The classic line offers a very good value for money, while the LM line is very close to Carmina prices. Coincedentally, I'm very happy with my classic line shoes, while my all my LM shoes seem to have some QC issues.

MRMstl

Reaction score
The classic line offers a very good value for money, while the LM line is very close to Carmina prices. Coincedentally, I'm very happy with my classic line shoes, while my all my LM shoes seem to have some QC issues.

I disagree with this assessment. LM line is approximately $300, whereas any Carmina is $450-500+. I don't consider a 50% increase "very close"

Meermin LM = Allen Edmonds prices

Not Carmina.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree with this assessment.  LM line is approximately $300, whereas any Carmina is $450-500+.  I don't consider a 50% increase "very close"

Meermin LM = Allen Edmonds prices

Not Carmina.

I guess we just find different things much. LM captoes are €260, while carmina captoes are €340. That's an €80 difference, not a terribly big difference over the life of a shoe. Besides, Meermin shipping is €20, and Carmina offers free shipping at times.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads