1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah I'm sick I missed those, would like a shell balmoral boot.

2. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

hows meermins qc these days? when i bought mine almost 2 years ago they were pretty dodgey

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Honestly, it's still pretty random. I just got some chukkas that I like a lot, but I can tell they really don't spare much of the leather: I literally put them on and walked down the stairs, after which the left in particular was wrinkled all the way down the tongue and vamp as if it were ten year old kangaroo. I don't mind too much as they were relatively cheap, and a casual style. But if they'd been more expensive and dressier, I'd be furious.

There is always a point below which you're just going to get what you pay for. Meermin is it: they use the whole hide for their shoes, so sometimes it's a bit of a lottery whether you get the good bit or a wrinkly bit of belly or ballbag. And their clickers don't seem discerning enough to put the latter in places where they won't show or flex so much, either.

So in short, yes, the QC is variable. But it's more than QC, it's that the quality is going to be inherently variable in low-priced shoes made in China, on translated instructions from Spain, using as much as possible of reasonably-priced (and sometimes, frankly, cheap) materials. For me, the value proposition for a pair of rubber-soled chukkas is still just about fine. My norvegese shearling boots at more than twice the price, might also be a design that tolerates some rough edges, when they arrive. But I'd be wary of going for their more expensive dress shoes: yes, some of the styles look great, but it will be a lottery on whether you get a peach or a lemon.

3 people like this.
  4. NewYawker

NewYawker Senior member

To continue the discussion on quality I think mimo hit the nail on the head. I have 4 pairs of meermin: calf/suede balmoral boots, linea maestro navy adelaides, linea maestro double monks, and a pair of suede tassels. The quality of the goodyear welted shoes is on par with what you're paying. The leather on the adelaides was very stiff when i first received them. I had blisters on my feet at the flex points that have since dissipated since the cork bed settled and the shoes have broken in. The suede loafers are great but the quality of the suede is definitely a little rough in certain spots. Also, the sizing seems to be a little inconsistent on the loafers, however, that can be entirely due to ones foot. The calf/suede boots are excellent, no complaints what so ever. I had trouble though with the double monks. There is a terrible squeaking noise that comes from one of the shoes. I tried all the usual remedies, lotion, talcum powder, etc. but nothing worked. I believe it is the result of a loose welt but couldn't say for sure. Meermin will replace them but I have to cover the cost of shipping them back to Spain. Unfortunately, as a result, they have been sitting next to my door for the last 3 months. To me, being in the states, this is the biggest downside of doing business not only with meermin, but other overseas vendors who have no outlets stateside. I may just have the shoes resoled here depending on the cost of shipping, however, that might not fix the problem and the shoes have only been worn maybe 4 or 5 times. Considering i paid for linea maestro upgrade it is disappointing to receive a defective shoe. I think i may stick to the standard goodyear welted line in the future - when you consider the premium for linea maestro there is then competition from other shoe manufacturers. Hopefully this helps some of you guys on the fence.

5. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I think many brands have QC issues at the sub $200 level. Whenever I purchase AEs or Meermins, I'm more tolerant to minuscule issues. I just purchased a pair of scotch grain LWB for sub $200 and couldn't be happier about my purchase albeit minor issues.

From my experience, Carmina, Vass and AS are better choices if you want to mitigate QC issues.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. blksuedeoxford

blksuedeoxford New Member

Sizing question here.

How does the Hiro fit relative to the Bono last?

Should I be sizing up, down or the same from Hiro to Bono?

7. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

I have 3 pairs from their Classics line, and based on what I've received so far, I don't have the confidence to go for their Linea Maestro line.

I have 2 pairs of Hiro Oxfords and a pair of Suede Loafers. First pair of suede Hiros had a scratch on the toe-cap that wouldn't brush out, 2nd pair of country calf Hiros was lasted oddly where it bulges out at the waist, which was a huge disappointing as I thought the first pair I received had a nice shape to it. The suede loafers had random patches where it looks lighter, which I suppose is not that obvious when you're walking about, but was still something I noticed immediately when picking up the shoe.

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

At Meermin's price point they are a steal. Most of the problems people complain about here happen on plenty of much more expensive shoes.

Of the Meermins I own and their QC:

Marron Calf Double Monks - no initial QC problems and after a bit of wear had slight sole split. Aesthetic only and not really an issue
    Cuero Cordovan Double Monks - no QC problems maybe a bit dry but nature of material
    Cuero Cordovan NST - no QC problems, some dryness as well
    Brown Museum Phillip 2 first run Ilcea - some poor leather but nothing too bad, metal toe tip not 100% flush but ok
    Snuff Chukka - no QC problems
    Black Oxford - not 100% flush metal toe tip

Out of my very limited sample size I have one shoe with a more major problem but they were beaters so wasn't an issue. At the time Meermin was supposedly sending people new shoes with sole split but I was denied. Probably too many shoes returned for defects that they had to stop. Out of a slightly larger Carmina sample size I've had poor cordovan lasting (4x), miscolored cordovan, welt problems, captoe not stitched straight, etc. I've had the dye problem fixed (retailer reached out to me so I said why not). Rest of problems I just chalked it up as part of the increased business for Carmina. I don't really buy much Carmina now for those reasons.

Only reason I don't have a lot is all lasts outside of Rui are too narrow for me and I have to size up to get width right which I generally try to avoid doing.

On a side note @Meermin any chance of a shell jodhpur boot in the next batch of GMTOs?

1 person likes this.
  9. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

Here's a picture I took today of mine. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't properly size down so they're just slightly too big for me, so I'm looking to sell them. I'm still pretty new here so I apologize if this is bad form, but figure someone here may be interested. It pains me to have to get rid of them, I think they're gorgeous.

I'm in Philly if anyone wants to check them out in person.

- Matt

[​IMG]

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Great review. Thanks.

When you're talking about dryness, can you rank them among other shoemakers so I can get a sense of Meermin's dryness in shell? How often does it need shell cream?

Thanks.

11. theinsomniac

theinsomniac Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that!

12. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like meermin is still a bit hit and miss but isn't too bad

13. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

One more from another angle.

[​IMG]

14. sarteaga

sarteaga Senior member

If they are still around at the end of the Christmas holiday,I just may. Is this your usual size in the Hiro?

15. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

I wear a 9.5 in the Hiro and Olfe, but 9.5 was slightly too big for me in the Rui.

16. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

I placed an order on Oct. 26, but haven't received an invoice or anything yet. Normal?

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

As long as they've confirmed receiving your order, it's normal (or rather, normal for Meermin). They frequently sell stuff that doesn't exist, much to the annoyance of many to whom this is not clear from the beginning, in which case they don't invoice you until the shoes are actually made.

18. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

Thanks for the reply. I received confirmation right away, but it says no more than 20 days to shipment on their website. So how long do I wait before I'm no longer obligated to purchase them? Been passing up other options similar to Meermin that have been popping up on eBay, etc. because I keep thinking I'll get the invoice any day.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

You will get the invoice any day. But if you change your mind, just tell them and cancel the order. Unless it's a special made to order, there is no issue: what are they going to do, sue you? Someone else will just get lucky and find what they order in stock! (What size are you?!)

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

On the topic of QC, I want to share with you all that after 1+ year of wear about once or twice a week in rotation, my oxfords are now squeaking...

More specifically the left shoe when I make a step. I am more annoyed than surprised. The shoes lasted this long without a problem. And probably one of my favorites on the Hiro last.

:fu:

The sound, I finally know it.

Never experienced any squeaking in footwear before until today.

1 person likes this.