1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I know there are downsides to heel taps, especially metal taps since they are slippery. But are there any downsides to metal toe taps?

2. striker

striker Senior member

They snag the carpet fibers and are terrible for certain professions such as burglary and theft.

1 person likes this.
  3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

And wooden floors if you wear shoes inside.

4. TheBlackDonDraper

TheBlackDonDraper Senior member

I'm strongly considering jumping in on the group 7 1011512 green rapello suede MTO. How does payment process work for MTOs? Can I combine that order with another? Thanks!

5. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

6. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Just fair warning I am not a big fan of meermin sude :( Even the LM suede is pretty rough when you get up close. But for style/function/rare color it may be a pretty sweet deal still.

7. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Always put them on unless you have some really asthetic need for leather soles. (Or like sliding around while dancing or something.)

Rubber is harder wearing and slip resistant. (I think most claims that rubber locks in moisture into the sole is over exagerated from my personal experience.)

8. Bertel

Bertel Senior member

Never put them on, probably for these aesthetic reasons ;)

I never wear my 'good' shoes with leather soles in wet conditions / rain anyway, I have shoes with Dainite etc. soles or Swims for that. Slipping has never been an issue, to the contrary, i like the direct 'skin' contact that leather soles provide to the surface.

For my personal taste (and it is just that), no rubber belongs to a beatiful shoe made of excellent quality leather, anywhere. Leather all over is more than good enough.

9. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

These are from terrorsquads first museum run (think it is ilcea before they went bust) so little over a year ago with weekly wear. Mottling was always pretty subtle and gets more so with polishing. I'm very happy with them, although you can see some cheaper parts of the hides were used on the sides (evidenced by rippling), but for the price I don't expect anything else.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

All are valid points.

I usually use my leather shoes like tennis shoes and will do everything in em. From a light jog accros campus to just saying F-it to the shoe rotation and just wearing em multiple days.

For my shoes to last I need the rubber toppys.

If you just wear them to work and then sit down all day you really will not notice the difference.

If you want durrablility you need the rubber if you want the additional swager points/ the reasons above go nude :O

1 person likes this.
  11. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I would discourage people from using their leather sole shoes for playing tennis.

Interesting to know you don't like the meermin suede now that you have one leetpuma. I seem to recall you researching all about the suede and what not. Haven't received mine yet so I can't comment

12. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

Maracca suede dubs in action. Apologies for terrible train platform fluorescent lighting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that the lama loafer was the item least likely to fund yet it successfully funded? I'm now thinking the bar represents the maximum order rather than the minimum...

14. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Its funny that the $30-$50 tennis shoes that we take for granted last 2 years though hard wear and if we can get a year out of the leather soles with no running or anything harsh its a win. (This for me is the case inpoint that leather soles are inferior for real use. They may be prettyer but that means very little to me.)

On Meermin Suede:
    I got my MTO a few weeks back and the suede on that is not uniform and kinda looks like it has glue on the suede on some spots. But its not enough for me to complain to Pepe about. The shoe looks fine from far away. I may post some closeups of the suede when I get a chance.

But overall I have bought some $20 clarks shoes from JCP in the US and the suede looked more consistant than the Meeermin Suede. (But the quality of the underlying leather may be higher its just the nap has not been properly combed. As well is the glueish gunk)

Terrorsqaud warned me at the start of the MTO about some of the issues with meermin suede. His opinion was to always go to carmina if you want suede(Vass is good to IMO). I am likely to agree unless you want a beater pair.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  15. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Maybe although there was quite a bit of interest from instagram. Wouldn't make sense to say the MTO's are funded though if its rather a maximum.

I guess we could ask meermin or go off some assumptions. If it was based on a maximum than they could take money from people once they checkout, where as if there is a chance an MTO wont be funded you wouldn't take any payment till it was locked in.

Think ill sign up for the brown museum although its starting to bug me with meermins how they might have a punched captoe but dont keep that style for the rest of the edges on the shoe. Small thing but more shoes I get starting to become a bit pickier about this stuff I guess.

16. striker

striker Senior member

I think alot of other brands use CF Stead's suede as well. However it is true too in my observation that Carminas suede is better in that they appear more uniform in appearance.

It might be that for the pricepoint, either meermin has chosen to purchase a lower grade suede or in order maximise the use of the hides they may have decided to use parts that may not be entirely ideal. Then again, it could simply be down to an inexperience clicker.

17. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

They have a cart system on the website now, so you should be able to combine orders. Payment on GMTOs is 100% up front...they refund it if they don't hit the minimum.

1 person likes this.
  18. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

I was watching the balmoral boot pretty closely, since I ordered one and was really hoping to see it get funded. I noticed that the bar moved backwards a few times, and the increments in which it seemed to be increasing were getting smaller. I suspect that they were changing the total amount of the bar. It may be that they saw that it was popular and decided to allow more people to order. So the bar on the website may be effectively meaningless.

19. ElliottN

ElliottN Active Member

i wish i got in on the bal boot, but apparently (i emailed meermin) once it's fully funded that's it. real big pity, would've loved one of those for winter!

20. Bertel

Bertel Senior member

I did make the exact same observation: Yesterday morning (European time) I had noticed that the progress bar for the Lama in fact had gone back substantially to my surprise, and less than half an hour later it appeared as "Successfully funded!" (I did see the Dark Brown Museum Calf go back a few increments in the last couple of hours, too - Edit: that was ten minutes ago, now it has gone up 4-5 increments again...)

You can see from the website's source code that the progress bar is set to a specific value, which is required to get the respective shoe funded. This value ('aria-valuemax=') currently is set to 15 for the Dark Brown Museum Calf and the Dark Brown Calf, yet to 12 for the Black Pebble Grain and for the Green Rapello Suede. The level / position of the progress bar is there at a specific percentage, e.g. '<span class='sr-only'>83.3333:% completado</span>' which means 83.3333 percent completed (i.e. 83.33% of 12 is 10, so ten orders received, two more to go). No idea where these figure comes from, if there's some 'machinery' behind it that does calculations based on the shop system and the respective orders for this GMTO, or if it's just entered manually. However, both max value and current percentage can surely be altered, and Meermin of course are free to call a MTO completely funded if they wish, there's no transparency for us and as owners of the website and the process they are of course free to do so.

The 'MTO section' on the web site, by the way, explains that there isn't such a thing as a minimum or a maximum number, but a specific number (12 and 15, in the current cases) as a threshold, once reached the MTO is fully funded and gets closed, so there's an exact number of 12 or 15 pairs in production, not more and not less. At least that's what they say :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.