1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Aren't AS exclusive around 400? I had C&J in mind too but if they're not your thing that rules them out. I'm not snarking, it was a genuine question :(

FWIW I've given up on Meermin too!

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

^Monkeyface
    340 euros right? It's at least or at around $450 USD , when there's a sale.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I know you weren't snarking, but I've thought long and hard about this. Probably more than I should have [​IMG]

Around the €340 price point Carmina is probably the best. AS exclusive is €500 including shoe trees on AFPOS. I really like AS and Vass, but they're a bit too expensive for me atm, even at €400. That's a €120 upcharge compared to Meermin, which doesn't make them comparable. Carmina is only a €60 upcharge when they offer free shipping.

I do still get Meermins from the classic line, in particular their loafers. They're great as beater shoes, for those times you know they're going to get dirty. I just send them an email asking which shoes in my size are in stock, and if they are, they'll be on my doorstep in less than a week's time.

Yep, euros.

5. svanerik

svanerik Member

They introduced it manually and then I could see it on login. But it's not even processed in the system yet. I can just see that it's created.

I don't know if it is the belt that is slowing it or if they are just slow in general.

6. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Quote:In honesty, I didn't know Carmina were that low in price!

1 person likes this.
  7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Because those are even more expensive. Carmina is 340 including shipping atm, AS is about 500, and Vass is around that too. I'm not a big fan of C&J and Church's, and EG, G&G and Lobb are even more expensive. Which English shoe maker is comparable to Carmina both in price and quality? 

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/04/carmina-the-review.html

[COLOR=2F2F2F]"(...) everything was flawless and it is impressive to see what they can offer for only €325, a pricepoint that just might make them the most undervalued shoe in the world. For me they are worth the price (being in comparison with the industry) of a £600 shoe. I would almost be willing to say that they are on the level of Edward Green, but maybe in reality just shy of them."[/COLOR]
    [/quote

Out of curiosity why don't you like C and J?

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

9. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

The key to me is construction.

I must have NON-gemmed shoes.
    Otherwise I do not see much of a point in buying nice shoes. Goodyear welts are not enough.

(See lots of the previous posts by @DFWII and even the Justin Fitzpatrick) (Gemming a shoe creates a structure in which the whole shoe is not stable and If the glue fails it is over. And it is an inferior construction overall.)

Meermin LM and
    Vass
    are the some of the few people that do non-gemmed/hand welted shoes at reasonable prices with nice lasts.

Carmina uses gemming in all their shoes so ill never buy from them.
    Other folks that use gemming are : John Lobb, Gaziano and Girling, Crockett & Jones, Edward Green, Allen Edmonds, Alden

10. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

I have read many of DFWII posts, and fully appreciate the theoretical superiority of handwelting. But practically speaking, how often does gemming failure actually occur? Not trying to be snarky here, but why do you choose to be so picky about something that doesn't make much material difference?

11. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

This is something that I also was not sure about when I started to buy good footwear.

My understading is from DFWII is that cement construction is about as good as GY welting if you are not hand welted because you failure point is the glue. (glue = weakest link in the chain)

And so if that is true. I would just buy 20$ trendy shoes every season that look just as nice as meermins. Handwelting makes sure every piece of the shoe has stiching on it making it not dependent on the glue.

But then glue has probably gotten pretty good in the last 20 years so this may be non-problem.
    But then I like to keep these shoes for 20 years and put them though hell. So Ill take every advantage I can.
    If you have them in a rotation of 6 shoes then you will be dead before you notice the glue give out.
    If you use them in a rotation of 2 you may just start to see the problem with glue after 20 years..

So really it comes down to how many shoes are in your rotation. and how you decide to use(and in my case abuse) em.

My personal feeling is that if I am paying so goddam much for my footwear I am going to expect it to be handwelted. (not because it gives me some warm feeling that some poor guy had to hold my shoe for 4-5 hours extra. But that it is structurally sound.)

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is going to come off snarkier than I intend, but perhaps you are overvaluing handwelting to the extent it dictates your choice of Meermin over the exclusion of the brands highlighted above.

13. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

That's an outrageous claim! How dare you say JL, EG, and G&G are better than Meermin :censored:

No disrespect leetpuma, but I believe you are up against the wall on this one.

14. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I agree. If gemming was indeed an such an issue I'm sure there'd be a mass of SFers with virtual pitchforks in hand demanding why their English and Spanish shoes were falling apart. And I have never wear tested a shoe under your proposed conditions but I suspect rotating only two shoes over 20 years would lead to some beat up looking kicks gemmed or non-gemmed.

1 person likes this.
  15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Aaaaaaaaaand... Unsubscribed!

1 person likes this.
  16. vriche

vriche Senior member

I think that this is a classic case of over-thinking it instead of appreciating beautiful shoes. To each his own and you're entitled to your opinion but comments such as I'll never buy Carmina because they may come apart in 20 years is a bit of a head scratcher.

17. sstokol

sstokol Active Member

I'm going to ignore the "gemming" issue as I don't fully understand it and I don't know that we want this thread to descend into the 53rd recent debate about shoe construction techniques....

I would agree on the question of customer service, it certainly took a while for my shoes to be delivered, but in the end there were no issues... I could imagine it may be pot luck

I also agree the best bets at Meermin are probably the exceptionally well priced classic range, great beater shoes indeed.

That said, €215 ex shipping (ex VAT) for the hand welted Linea Maestro still makes these one of the cheapest "proper" shoes going around.

I don't yet own any of the top shelf (EG, Lobb, G&G, Vass, St Crispins) but I have now tried shoes from Loake, Loake 1880, Church, Santoni, Paolo Scarfora and Meermin. I view the Meermin's Linea Maestro as a slight step ahead of Loake 1880 (depending on the shoe design) for slightly less money. I think the classic line is probably about the same quality as the better non-1880 Loake, but with different and less English designs. (I think Loakes are another under-rated, relatively well priced "proper" shoe, especially the 1880 range).

I like that the designs are an alternative to the English models, but still pretty sleek, classic and easy to match. I don't like the fact production is partly in China as I understand it, but that is pure snobbery on my part.

I am not a shoe expert, though learning, so I can't fully appreciate the benefit if any of hand welted vs machine welted, but if the experts tell me its better and the price is the same or less (and if the shoes actually look nice!!), I am happy.

All of that said, likely my next acquisition will not be Meermin and could be something from Carmina (I like several of their designs) and I am eyeing off a Sutor Mantellassi wholecut on STF as well... eventually I will suck it up and try the next level. The journey continues...

18. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

I don't own a pair of Meermins, yet, and from reading recent posts it seems that the main line are "beater" shoes at a good price, and the LM line are a better constructed pair of shoes, perhaps just under Carmina, at a reasonable price. Is that accurate?

Having said that, is it worth investing any money into the mainline for a staple shoe, or would you prefer your money in the LM line, Carmina, C&J, etc.?

19. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I like to have a mix, I think "beaters" are particularly handy if you are starting to build a rotation etc but its all relative I mean my meermin classic line brown captoes have held up really well a year on with rotation and good shoe care. If I could go back in time I would still buy them rather than saving the extra hundreds for carmina. But, when I want another style of brown shoe maybe a punched toe or Adelaide ill be looking to carmina or AS, Vass etc.

1 person likes this.
  20. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I did not mean to start controversy. Gemming has always been a touchy subject.

But if you have a decent pair of shoes in rotation you should not care about gemming. If you do dumb things ( like me) like jog around in your shoes then gemming may lead to an issue down the road. So if you are sitting at an office all day I would not worry about gemming.

I just find it hard to cough of the cash for things that logically are more structurally sound and can be had for similar price ranges.

I hope I helped more than I hurt on this issue.

And if anyone cared here is the pic see where the hold-fast is stitched through? that is handwelting. Gemming will just glue it.
    [​IMG]