• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
The only problem is that meermin is the only place that offers MTO pretty cheap. Everywhere else (carmina, vass etc is hundreds and hundreds extra)

IMO, Vass in terms of value beats out everything else, and I'd rather have 1 Vass MTO than 2 Meermin ones.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm yes this does give you pause but there have been slot of positive experiences and outcomes for ppm within the thread too

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn!

Overall I am happy with the boots. I have both toe plates installed. I also have the shark nose. I may take em to B. Nelson to see if they can do anything.

I'm assuming B. Nelson is a cobbler, if so, could you please let us know what he says? Thanks!

I find it very sneaky that they make 2 pairs right for the pictures, and **** the rest up in order to save money.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only problem is that meermin is the only place that offers MTO pretty cheap. Everywhere else (carmina, vass etc is hundreds and hundreds extra)

Vass cost less extra for MTO than Meermin, only €100 instead of the €150 Meermin take. RTW cost €420 so MTO ends up at 520 (prices incl. VAT). Then you get completely hand made shoes, with JR-soles, and premium grade uppers. Like mentioned above, definitely the most value for money around. I mean it just cost €110 extra above a pair of Meermin MTO.

Last edited:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Vass cost less extra for MTO than Meermin, only €100 instead of the €150 Meermin take. RTW cost €420 so MTO ends up at 520. Then you get completely hand made shoes, with JR-soles, and premium grade uppers. Like mentioned above, definitely the most value for money around. I mean it just cost €110 extra above a pair of Meermin MTO.

Rezso Kuti actually quoted me at 440 Euros for MTO (ultimately couldn't go through with it because of my low instep) as VAT is excluded for the United States. That price also includes lasted shoe trees, which I'd say are at least worth $100 USD.

Sorry to spam the Meermin thread with this, but you guys are paying a good amount of money and time for these shoes, and the two QC issues above don't seem right.

Last edited:

konda

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the new jodhpur. It is without the seam on the vamp. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rezso Kuti actually quoted me at 440 Euros for MTO (ultimately couldn't go through with it because of my low instep) as VAT is excluded for the United States. That price also includes lasted shoe trees, which I'd say are at least worth $100 USD. 

Sorry to spam the Meermin thread with this, but you guys are paying a good amount of money and time for these shoes, and the two QC issues above don't seem right. 

Yes, my price examples was with VAT. For people outside EU €440 seem right. The comparison with Meermin would still be the same though, just a bit lower amounts for you non-VAT-people.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my boots much faster than expected. They have a nick on the toe, and some some sloppy stitching (things that are supposed to be round are square), but other than that they look alright. They fit very well, but they're a ***** to put on, have to undo all the laces, definitely have to get used to that.

EDIT: After putting them on once, the leather has minor wrinkles all over, the same thing that happened to the museum calf MTO, except there's much more leather here, so it looks worse. That's a sign of using substandard leather, right?

Last edited:

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dropped them off at B. Nelson. I'll call later to get his feedback. I don't want to pay too much if anything needs/can be done, because then I could have just purchased another brand.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dropped them off at B. Nelson. I'll call later to get his feedback. I don't want to pay too much if anything needs/can be done, because then I could have just purchased another brand.

If they need anything done contact Meermin and have them pay for it! It should work out cheaper than double shipping which they'd have to pay if you sent them back for fixing

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After putting them on once, the leather has minor wrinkles all over, the same thing that happened to the museum calf MTO, except there's much more leather here, so it looks worse. That's a sign of using substandard leather, right?

I think it is a sign of maximizing the leather hide. The best leather comes from the butt of the animal but there is only so much of that leather. Some ultra luxury makes will use only the best of the best which means that only a pair and in some case a single shoe can be made from a leather hide. It would be unreasonable for us to expect Meermin to make only a pair of shoes from the single hide. So these blemishes you see are a probably expected for the leather used and the price point.

I think we too share some guilt here. Some of the defects are unacceptable but we should stop expecting that Meermin can make $1500 shoe or boot for $450.00.

Congratulation Monekyface it must feel as you have won lottery with all the problems this MTO had.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is a sign of maximizing the leather hide. The best leather comes from the butt of the animal but there is only so much of that leather. Some ultra luxury makes will use only the best of the best which means that only a pair and in some case a single shoe can be made from a leather hide. It would be unreasonable for us to expect Meermin to make only a pair of shoes from the single hide. So these blemishes you see are a probably expected for the leather used and the price point.

I think we too share some guilt here. Some of the defects are unacceptable but we should stop expecting that Meermin can make $1500 shoe or boot for $450.00.

Congratulation Monekyface it must feel as you have won lottery with all the problems this MTO had.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about it, but I do feel bad for the others. The boots look gorgeous! Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining, I'm just showing the 'defects', so that other buyers can make an informed decision.

My final verdict is that the LM and MTO Meermins are too risky for their price, the quality of the results is just too volatile for me to be comfortable with it. It really is like a lottery.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of these...

I hope I didn't make a mistake. Although, for the price I guess I can't be TOO choosey. I'd rather have AEs for a little extra if they turn out shite, though.

As long as you're ok with minor defects, such as splitting of the heels (happened on all of my Meermins) and sloppy stitching (same story), you'll be ok. I would've gone for the tassels though, they look much better!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads