1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Uuuh, wrong thread?

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

FWIW,

Too long IMO, so, I may need to try same size as my UK 8 Hiro despite the different lasts.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Hiro 8UK is 295mm long so not that much between them tbh

4. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Nope, see the question in post 10168

5. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

Ta. Missed that.

6. quaters

quaters New Member

Does anyone know which of the two sets of images (found on their website) are the most representative for the Meermin dark brown oxfords, the first two or the second ones?

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

8. crstov

crstov Member

As it happens, I got contacted by another user from Singapore and have just bought the double monks from him. Once I check the size though, I'll grab a black pair direct from Meermin (oxfords or perhaps more double monks) and I'll let you know how postage goes.

9. d0h15

d0h15 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Anyone with similar experience? My DMs in UK 9 feel a bit narrow in the toe area and I'm afraid that Rui in 8.5 might be too small (especially as I don't own a single pair from any shoe company that is smaller than UK 9). Is it better to go safe and take a UK 9?

10. vriche

vriche Senior member

You no longer need 25 participants for Brown & Plum Museum Calf, six is sufficient. The following is from Pepe himself: "Regarding the museum calf, we are now taking smaller MTO orders on Dark brown & plum, since those are colour that we will be stocking. For other colors the minimum order still 25 participants."

11. blue2007

blue2007 Senior member

I'm a huge fan of the company, ordered a few shoes and was getting ready to do an MTO, but I just received a pair of the Snuff Rappelo Suede http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2345

and after wearing them twice, yes, just two times, the sole is falling apart.

I contacted Luisa to see what we can do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

More like the darker ones.

13. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Truthfully i am not sure what you are talking about. Those soles are leather they are going to looked roughed up after a few wears.

If the stiching came loose that is an issue. I would get a rubber toppy for like 20$ from a cobbler and that way you rarely have to resole anyway. Plus the rubber is very thin so it does not look bad and the rubber is very hardwearing. (I have been walking on concrete for 1.5 years 1-1.5 miles a day 3 times a week with a shoe that was toppied and it still looks basically new)

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The sole is splitting. It's an issue that happens relatively often with Meermin.

15. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Does a sole split mean the welt stiching has been broken? (Does not look like above)

OR

Does Sole split mean that the sole just does not look like it is one solid piece anymore -- e.g. you can see the join in the leather? (Looks like above, because if that is it thats purely asthetic. and you can just wet the leather (water) and rub it on some smooth surface(glass/bone/plastic) to burnish the edge takes less than 5 min and then if you want put edge-coloring on it too)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

If I understand it correctly, it means that the stitching is loose, so the sole and the shoe come apart. You can see the stitches if you pull on the sole a bit with a sole split.

It's not entirely aesthetic, seen as the construction of your shoe is compromised a bit. However, since you walk on your sole you push it back in the shoe with every step, so your shoe won't break down because of a sole split. Nevertheless, it looks ugly and your shoe probably won't last as long as it would have.

17. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

If that is true that sucks.

Some previous splits Ive seen have a physical gap. For the one posted I do not see one so this may be on of the better ones.

1 person likes this.
  18. blue2007

blue2007 Senior member

The sole is splitting for sure. If I pull it apart a bit, I can tell it will come off easily. I mean I understand that it will happen in the future, but after 2 wears, maybe 1 hr first time and 2 hrs the second time? It's just not okay.

19. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

That's definitely a construction issue. Meermin should help you to find a resolution via a replacement. I hope the LM line has better construction QC unlike the Classic which started life in China and then finished in Spain. All the best.

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Some of the MTOs, which are all LM, have had some of the worst QC issues. I think the issues are random in general, but a little more frequent on models they don't have much experience with, such as new lasts, configurations, materials, etc.

Still, the classic line offers a tremendous value for money, the LM line not so much.