1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. agbassano

agbassano Senior member

Anyone try out the Norvegese?? I think I'd likely go for the classic line for well made shoes to wear/beat the heck out of... and possibly the Norvegese because it's so different. Pricing on the LM shoes would be too close to Carmina, and I'd go with Carmina...

2. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Would you mind going into the diffences? (I live in the US and have never seen a carmina shoe in person)

I get that leather from different parts of the animal can be stronger or weaker... So as long as meermin is using good leather i cant see too many big differences. (Meermin is pretty transparent on the leather quality and where they are soucing things. Which generally look like good places)

Meermins lasts are also well shaped.

Does carmina do something in the construction you like so much better? Better lining?

3. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I'm not an expert, but I think the quality and finish of the leather is better with Carmina.

Also if you go through the entire thread, you'll see pics of defective Meermin shoes that somehow were not caught in the quality control process.

A recommendation for you before you purchase from either company. Find out if you have a low, medium or high instep before ordering. If you have a low instep, Rain last won't work for you; your foot will be swimming in the shoes (Simpson is best for a low instep and Rain is best for a high instep).

Just want to pass this on since it took me a while to find the right fit.

4. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

I disagree about the rain last not fitting a low instep. I've got a low instep and a high arch and the rain last fits me perfectly but I had to size down one whole size from my US size to make it work. I tried a half size down and I had a ton of room in the instep area.

@leetpuma. If you are thinking about some carminas, order from Gentlemensfootwear.com. They are located in California and the owner @steveyoo1983 is awesome. He will hook you up. I just acquired my first pair of carminas from him and I'm hooked!

I do have a pair of the meermin double monks on order so hopefully I'll have those in a few weeks (ordered 2 days ago and already got the fulfillment and payment confirmation....just waiting on a tracking number). I wanted to try some cheaper double monks before spending more money on a carmina or a Cj lownde. Very interested to see the difference between the meermin classic line and the carminas

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  5. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Ive hear the classic line is much lower in quality than carmina (in leather and finish). More on the AE level. So dont expect to be swayed with those. :)
    with LM i have heard varying reports if how similar it is to normal carmina.
    Thanks for the sizing info. The QC of meermin seems to have gotten better I think. I have been folloing this thread for 4-5 months and only seen 1-2 users companing about QC and one of those just needed an heal replaced. Which is an $5-10USD charge.

6. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Well, from my experience of being involved in the purchase of almost 100 pairs from both the Classic and LM line,I would have to say that the Classic line calf offerings are value for money compared to AE. For the suede Classic line, I would advice people to go for Carmina's as the quality is much better (albeit at a higher price naturally).

7. mattg1027

mattg1027 Active Member

As someone who is extremely satisfied in every regard with my first Meermin order, I think mimo's complaints are completely justified. Some of the defenses are downright silly. "You sound like someone who will never be satisfied"?? Haha... what???

8. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

How does the LM suede compare to carmina suede?

9. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Well I gave him the best advice i could in a previous post. (before i said that line you quoted. I really did try to help)
    And he did not seem to want to take that advice at all. I think he came here to vent fustration, not for a solution. Just my 2 cents.

10. terrorsquad

I personally think Carmina's are better as a whole package for their suede shoes.

11. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Oh ya, I'm not expecting similar quality (that's why I said classic line vs carmina) but the comparison will be interesting, to me at least, to see where the meermin classic line falls. If similar to AEs then I've found a better shoe in the classic line at a cheaper price than AEs, which is a win in my book. It's tough to beat AE here in the US since they are based here, made here, and have stores here but I'm really excited I found the carmina brand (thanks to SF) because their fit, finish and construction is superior to AEs yet the price point isn't vastly different. If I like the meermin classic line, those could become my "rainy weather shoes" while the carminas remain my sunny weather/ shoes

12. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I see. Kinda makes me sad. I have no way of trying on a carmina to know for sure/ get the sizing right. So will likely stay with meermin (that and its $150 USD cheaper, but at the prices we are already paying for these shoes it does not even matter any more).

But just in reguard the the quality of the leather is there any comment you can make? (I assume you have seen both in person.)

13. terrorsquad

Hmmm...I would personally say it is dependent on the type of leather. I would say that Carmina may have a bit of an edge as a whole package here

I remembered that I purchased 2 pairs of DM in tan scotch grain from Meermin. The first one was from their first production so was not sure of the name of the tannery. For the 2nd one, Pepe informed me they sourced the leather from De Puy tannery. After 2 years of wearing the 2nd pair, they have held up remarkably well even after a lot of abuse.

The 1st pair was bought for a friend and based on my observation, it has not held up as well as compared to the 2nd pair.

14. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Why not order a pair from gentlemenswarehouse? They are located in the US and if the shoe doesn't fit, return it. Read the carmina sizing thread to get an idea then pull the trigger. I did and got a half size to big but was able to return that pair and grab another pair, diff shoe but same last, in a half size smaller , and they are perfect. Based on my limited experience, I would start off by sizing down one from your US size

15. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Thank you very much it is rare to find someone that has seen meerim LM suede and is able to comment on it.

Ill ask pepe what tannery they are getting copper suede from next chance i get.

16. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Oh i did not know they were nice about the shipping.
    I may do this one day but I still in my head I cant justify the 455 sale 525 normal price tag since i could get some full shell cordovan boots at meermin for that price. But that site is pretty slick i may try them out one day when I have gotten bored of meermin.

(For 500USD I was able to get dark brown shell cordovan balmoral boots MTO which is pretty dam slick.)

17. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Sure! Even carmina and meermin themselves take returns but I was worried about the whole international ordering thing bc of sizing since it was my first pair. Plus I was not about to send shoes back overseas because they didn't fit - who knows if they would have made it or not and then I wouldn't have a refund and wouldn't have shoes (double whammy).

There are a few places in the US that stock carminas, GW, leather foot and the armory all of which should take returns if the shoe is still new. When I tried my first pair on, I was showered, had clean socks on and tried them on on a rug which is on carpet and I instantly knew that were too big. I slipped my foot in with a shoe horn, realized they were to big, then took them off and boxed them up. You'll know if you hit your mark.

18. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

I have a pair of snuff suede brogues that I custom ordered (so to LM standards) and the suede on that is very nice - noticeably softer and more supple than a pair of classic line double monks in suede. I also have a pair of suede Carmina captoes, and that suede, to me, is another step in quality higher than the Meermin LMs. This is all totally subjective - but I've worn the Carminas at least twice as much as either of the Meermins and the suede remains so soft.

I can also back Steve at Gentleman's Footwear. His customer service is crazy good.

19. golfinz

golfinz Senior member

Good to know about the suede. Been eyeing a pair or two.

Steve is a rock star, isn't he? He has earned all my future carmina orders!

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm not sure why you're being so offensive. We all feel a certain loyalty to our favourite brands, and I am a Meermin customer too after all. But being so defensive just sounds silly. You offered me retrospective advice, i.e. meaningless finger-wagging after the event, and stated that my dissatisfaction with Meermin's non-reply to emails and increasingly slow service was due to my own character failings. Really, unnecessary and illogical.

A year or two ago, Meermin would reply to enquries as to what is in stock (as you've mentioned later). This time, they just didn't bother. They also used to deliver in three or four weeks even if the shoe wasn't in stock. Now it seems to be anything up to a couple of months - even for their basic machine-welted stock models. This isn't some delusion or unreasonable expectation on my part, it's just a statement of fact. They are marketing hard and their service is starting to fall behind. My pointing that out is exactly what this kind of review thread (and bear in mind it pre-dates their affiliate status by a couple of years), is for. And yes, I've certainly vented frustration, and there is no solution in the short term. But aside from informing others of the current state of affairs, I would hope that the more complaints are shared, the more likely Meermin are to review their logistics and stock management. Maintaining that bad customer service is an integral part of the brand and objecting to it is somehow failing to understand its exclusive charms, does nobody any favours - including Meermin.

Anyway, your manners are your own concern. I'm sure you're more careful with them in the real world. Kisses. xx

Back to other matters, I agree that LM are cheaper than Carmina, and Classic are way better value than AE in that they're half the price. AE has its benefits - variety of models and sizes, sophisticated supply chain etc., but you pay for it.

1 person likes this.