Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am looking at buying a two, potentially three pairs.

It is my first time buying them so wanted to get some advice before I take the plunge. Apologies in advance for the bombardment of questions.

First up is the handwelted 102346 double monk (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2050) in dark brown. Now, I understand that because this is the New Rey last I need to go half a size up.

I am normally between a 9.5 and a 10 UK. I have a pair of Herring Shakespeare II shoes on a 619 last in a 9.5F and they fit well. Can anyone advise if taking the Meermin double monks in a size 10 is the right option?

Secondly, I am looking a getting a fairly simple Oxford in dark brown. I am weighing up between the Meermin 101198 (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2034) and the Herring Knightsbridge (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...6&catid=42&oldcolid=418&stype=0&colourid=3374) in Tobacco Brown.

As these are on the Hiro last I imagine there is no need to size up?

Cost isn't a factor here as I have a code for a free shoe tree from Herring so after purchasing one from Meermin they work out pretty much the same. Given the choice, what would you go for?

The other option is going for the handwelted 102461 (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2724). Do you think these are worth the extra 100 euros?

Again, as these are on the Olfe last I imagine there is no need to size up?

Thirdly, I am still deciding if I should buy some tassel loafers. Specifically I was looking at the 101381 (http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1938) in (you guessed it) dark brown. I am fairly fashion forward but I am not sure if I can pull them off.

I have three pairs of tan and two pairs of burgundy shoes. My only brown pair (I know, I know) have had it hence the obsession with brown.

Lastly, I read an article online from Put This On posted in May that these shoes were made to order for certain members. Do any of you know who had these made? Were they made as a group thing? They are simply stunning and would very much like to possibly purchase a pair if others are interested.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Stephen

2. Dying Dandy

Dying Dandy New Member

Just recived a pair of tan country grain longwings and really like them! A little squeaking though.

I own a few pairs of C&J handgrade, these shoes do not compete with these. But the Meermins offers great value! Small stuff like spots inside the shoes etc is ok as long as the leather is good and price is low. I would defenitely get some more casual offerings shoes from Meermin.

Wish they would change all their derbys, monks and boots models to dainite soles! I will never buy meermins with leather soles. But maybe thats just me?! I think Meermins greatest strenght is offering casual models at a good price!

BTW nice MTO's!

3. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Not sure if this has been answered or not, I couldn't find any info going back into the thread.

Is it possible to change the leathers used on Meermin shoes without the MTO surcharge? They have a black cap toe derby I would prefer in brown calf, and a dark brown suede derby I would prefer in a snuff suede. What is the protocol on this?

Thanks

4. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

I did it last year with no up-charge. That's not to say they still do it tho. Just ask!

5. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Thanks for letting me know. I'll ask then when i'm ready to order.

6. kankles

kankles Active Member

Am I imagining things or do Meermin offer ruby shell as part of the MTO program?

7. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Isn't that Carmina? Tho Meermin do offer some colours that are MTO only. I've seen navy and green, not ruby tho. Where'd you see it?
    Edit: http://meermin.tumblr.com/page/9
    Second one down. A lot more muted (less red?) than Carmina's ruby

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

8. kankles

kankles Active Member

Ah this is the post I was thinking off

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Unless my eyes deceive me they already do a derby in snuff suede.#104413. What are you thinking of?

10. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I think you are referring to the #101413. That one is the color I want, but not exactly the right shoe. I'm not a huge fan of only 3 eyelets, and its also a little bit too pointed of a last for a casual summer suede derby. So I was thinking more along the lines of the #101372. Little bit of a fuller toe box, coupled with more eyelets, gives it a more casual feel in my opinion, which is what i'm after.

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Ah OK - I notice that has a dainite soul too as opposed to leather which drops the formality another notch. Interesting - please post your results if you make an enquiry to Meermin.

12. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

Let me know what they say nakedsnake, because I am looking for exactly the same answer!

13. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

It likely won't be too soon. I just stumbled across that model this week, and I would want the suede for a summer shoe, so buying it now wouldn't make tons of sense. The Dark chocolate is really nice as well, I only want snuff suede instead because I have a casual chocolate suede shoe in my collection already.

I am also wondering if anyone from Canada has anything to say about import/duty fees? I've read a few horror stories on here already, and to be frank, it is the main reason I havent ordered yet. $220 shipped for these suede shoes is a nice deal, but $320+ isn't any more. I could get 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds for that price, and not have to worry about it all going to duty fees.

14. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

^^ search the thread for Canada. I as well as other Canadians have posted on this not too long ago. Net-net is expect 18% duty + 13% HST in Ontario (or PST), plus $10-15 brokerage fees. For me my order on a classic line double monks came to about $73 of additional charges. Expect more if you are ordering LM.

You'll be close to $300 all-in for classic line. Which I guess would amount to about $250+tax shoes buying locally...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

15. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I searched a little and did find that post, as well as a few others, Just wondering if there was anything I was missing. 30% up charge sucks haha. But thank you you for this. Something to consider for sure.