1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. All Tatters

All Tatters Senior member

Question to all who have Hiro and Olfe in the same size: How do they compare in width in the toe box area? Is Olfe (slightly) more generous in this area?

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

Augustus Haynes, you probably hit something sharp, or the inside of your other shoe, leather doesn't get cuts like that by itself....

Or it was there when you bought it, from the calf split from stretching, and you never noticed it until now.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

i'm sure this has been asked before, but is meermin still offering copper suede? Id be down for a GMTO loafer if it's still offered

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

What surprises me is how thin the edges look; there's almost no depth at all over what appears to be a plastic counter. The latter seems pretty common these days, but if the leather's as thin there as it looks it really must have come from the bottom of the heap. Or rather, the cow.

5. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

What's the best option to try on Meermin shoes in NY? Buying it from users?

6. Augustus Haynes

Augustus Haynes Member

I'll show you a better picture. That's a good point that you raise and something I can use in my correspondence with meermin.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality, was taken on my phone.

That does looks very thin/poor quality though doesn't it?

7. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

If you poke at the white spot do you hit plastic?
    Maybe try putting some water on it does it discolor like leather? Or does it stay the same color?

If you are hitting plastic that is some very thin leather which could be more meermins fault.

It does however look like a scratch from you rubbing/scratching your foot against something. Which would really be your fault.

In which case buy some leather glue *(barge rubber cement is really good) put just an small ammount on the flap and close it. And do not worry about it. Condition an polish it as usual.

Your only hope is if they agree that the leather was way too thin and as a result broke. On the webpage they say leather is 1.3-1.5 mm thick(classic line black). So try measuring it

Also to help with knowing how thick different leathers look:
    http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/leatherguide.aspx

This pic not to scale see link above :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  8. SRichard

SRichard Active Member

Does anyone have experience working out their size by emailing Meermin measurements? & if so has this worked out ok?

I asked them & they sent me an outline of a sole which I've used to measure my foot & have sent them the measurements to get a size recommendation.

I'm going to order some but am a little nervous re sizing...

FWIW I'm after shoes on the Hiro last & I'm 28cm long & 10cm wide using their guide

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

you should be fine with sizing when you provide them that.

10. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Better - thicker and suppler than even the linea maestro calf. Looks better too

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  11. SRichard

SRichard Active Member

cool, thks

12. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Thank you !!! good to know for the future.

I am an succker for strong leather and am biased by shell codovan because of that. But I may try out the Museum Calf one day then.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

If I sized up .5 in the Hiro last, would this be the same for Rui last? Or I can wear TTS since Rui vamp and toe box is roomier, according to photos.

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ The Rui has lots of volume compared to the Hiro. I'd go TTS or down .5.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

^Thanks for the input. I will stay TTS most likely (UK 7.5) as I still find the UK 8 Hiro a tad tight at times (maybe it's just my feet though as it starts to get sore by end of the day).

16. hirocho

hirocho New Member

I want to get a pair of meermin shoes but not sure about the size... I used to get UK 9 for other brands like magnanni, paul smith, havent really tried others. I tried to google it but got mixed feedback. Sent an email to meermin and they told me UK 9 is equivalent to 296mm 100mm for insole.. I can measure by myself but for sure it may not be accurate.

Really would like to hear your advice for new rey last. Thanks!

17. denbo

denbo Active Member

Anyone else waiting for their plum museum shoes to get shipped?

18. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I ordered a pair the first day they were offered but it didn't ship so I canceled like yesterday.

19. denbo

denbo Active Member

I ordered on the first available day, too. 30 days mark passed now, but didn't hear anything until now.

~~Conditions 1.At first, all orders will be shipped out within the next 30 days, in special cases it will take longer, but we will contact you to inform.

20. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I would say this is a special case. They just got it in stock and I assume they are working out supply line kinks.

If you are not able to wait you probably dont want meermins in the first place... But if you are able to wait they offer by far the best price on museum calf under the sun.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014