1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. eljlakers

eljlakers Senior member

As for the sizing, I own four pairs on the Hiro and one captoe oxford on the Rain. I'd say the Hiro is ever so slightly wider. The Rain feels snugger, but also feels like it will eventually develop into the better long-term fit once I've worn it 20 times or so.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

eljlakers - thanks my man.

3. Tim Whatley

Tim Whatley Active Member

Thinking of buying a pair, but one question. Is there really a big difference between the classic goodyear collection and the handwelted gy-2 collection? What are the advantages of the handwelted construction?

4. Tim Whatley

Tim Whatley Active Member

Nm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Got my plum museum calf single monks and I am impressed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right at home :

[​IMG]
    (From left to right: AE Rutledge in walnut, Meermin plum museum calf single monk, Meermin brown museum calf punched cap toe, AE for RL panel boot, AE Fifth Avenue brown, AE Fifth Avenue black, Meermin burgundy austerity brogue)

My experience with Meermin has gotten better since the first order. The burgundy austerities came with horrible dye marks in the leather whereas the brown museum calf has odd wrinkling. Have not broken in the single monks yet, but they do look quite promising and Meermin threw in a tin of Saphir Glacage.

6. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Could someone with experience with both the olfe and hiro weigh in here?

I always thought ofle was similar in width to hiro. Not "significantly narrower"

is the olfe width nearer to the narrowness of Hiro or New ray?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Obviously I have zero experience with either - but looking at the pics of the shoes on the different lasts that was included in the link, Olfe certainly looks narrower than Hiro, but not as narrow as New Rey.

I'd be keen to hear input from those who wear both. DLJr reports above that he takes a half size up in Olfe as compared with Hiro, so perhaps he can add some specific thoughts on comparative width.

8. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

So does Meermin not do wide fittings? I could have sworn that when I emailed about a year ago, they said they would do wide width shoes for an upcharge, but I emailed them yesterday and they said "we don't do wide width shoes."

9. REguy

REguy Senior member

9 UK in Rain and Forest. 9.5 UK in Inca
    9.5 UK in Olfe and Hiro (I don't find there's a big width differential. However, I find the Olfe slightly longer)
    10D US Alden Barrie
    9.5E UK / 10D US in Edward Green in all lasts

All fit really well. I'm a TTS 10.25D US.

10. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Thanks REguy, This jives with what I have heard in the past. So I believe it more.

RogerP if you want to know if the taper of the shoe is too much for your foot try the method I talk about here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/277707/meermin-mallorca-shoes/8865#post_6887049

Here are some templates for the OLFE last. (Click to get full size versions)
    [​IMG]7.5

[​IMG]8.5

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks REguy. As ever, sorting through the sometimes conflicting info when trying to e-size can be a difficult exercise - but I really appreciate everyone's input. So you size up by a half going from Rain to Hiro, but eljlakers finds that Rain is a bit more snug that Hiro in the same size.

lletpuma - thanks - my main fit concerns are width at the forefoot and instep height - in both areas I require a bit more than the notional normal. I don't have a problem wearing most chiseled lasts, so long as the width at the forefoot (the start of the taper) is sufficient.

So what's Meermin's return policy on a stock shoe if they don't fit?

12. Half-Pint

Half-Pint Member

Well after months of waiting my Meermins are finally on their way to me. However, I got hit with HUUUUGE customs duties. The equivalent of like $300 on a $400 order! Dam back woods 3rd world country I live in! Sadly that kills off any future Meermin plans

13. striker

striker Senior member

No joke on the tarriffs. Even the great Nelson Mandela would squirm in his grave when he saw the custom bill.

14. jamesryan123

jamesryan123 Active Member

I have olfe and hiro in 7.5uk. Olfe I have is lace up and hiro is dub monk but there is no noticable difference in size. Hiro is much narrower in the toe box so you can feel that it is stilightly shorter. Olfe looks shorter on my feet because of the proportions I think, but that may just be a perception thing.

Olfe seems to have a tighter waist than Hiro, but this may be due to them being lace ups or because the olfe are linea maestro with a slight fiddleback waist. The leather quality on the LM does seem better and does hold a shine better.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I feel your pain. Duties on shoes here are 18%, and then there is 13% domestic tax on top of that. And when the package is sent by courier, it seems that they find every way to screw up an already bad situation to make it worse. I once got hit with ~ $190 customs bill on a ~$250 pair of Loakes. That crap never happens when I have stuff shipped by trackable post. Most often it comes through with no duties charged at all.

On the sizing issue, I contacted Meermin ant told them I had slightly wide feet with a moderately high instep and that I took a UK8.5 in Carmina Rain, but sized up to UK9 in Forest. They recommended I go with UK9 in Hiro. I was leaning that way in any event - if I'm going to miss, I'd rather the shoe be a little big than a little small.

16. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

I own a pair of the Brown medallion captoes on the Olfe last. I am tempted to get the plain brown captoe on the Hiro last. Does anyone know if the colour is the same. The Hiro looks a shade lighter on the website, which would suit me fine...

17. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Olfe is a touch narrower in the heel, and a touch wider at widest part of the shoe near the ball of the foot. The Olfe narrows more aggressively and has less room for my toes (the little guys). So in different areas of the shoe, they fit differently. I have very odd arches though, so my foot is more of an exception. It seems most people will wear the same size. FWIW, the 9 in the Olfe is only very slightly longer than the 8.5 in the Hiro. I'm comparing Chukkas (Hiro) to Oxfords (Olfe)

18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ thanks my man. There are more shoes that appeal to me in Olfe than Hiro so it's good to know that the fit difference is not huge when you size up by a half.. Do you notice any difference in instep height between the two?

19. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

There feels like there is a bit more room in the Hiro for me (between that and the toe room is why that size fits me). The Olfe is not uncomfortable though. I do have odd feet (I blame being in hockey skates since I was extremely young), and they are almost a half size difference. The difference in size causes me to either have to deal with a snug right shoe that needs to stretch or putting an insert in the left. These two sizes and different lasts seems to work where neither situation really has any discomfort.

20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member