1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. adampaul

adampaul Member

If anyone's curious, Luisa sent me the following shoe, last and foot dimensions for Hiro size UK9.5 (I didn't see dimensions for this size anywhere in this thread yet):

HIRO 9,5UK

L 311mm shoe outsole 9,5UK.
    W 111mm shoe outsole 9,5UK.
    L 294mm last insole 9,5UK.
    W 104mm last insole 9,5UK.
    Foot 27,6 cm 9,5UK

2. abi1986

abi1986 Member

ok thanks!
    cause I'm a 10E in AE and I was wandering if i have to size down 1 or 0.5 in Meermin... but i guess that a 9 will be fine for me!

3. Claus

Claus Senior member

I think you're overthinking this.

You've already preselected the last. This is the number one shoe sizing mistake. You can't expect a preselected last to fit properly. One might be lucky, of course, but you can't count on it.

You've made the same mistake with your Alden's and AE's. They are completely off in lenght if you measured your foot length correctly (see my site for instructions). With a foot length of 270mm, your reference sizes are UK 8.5 and US 9.5.

For instance, shoes in US 8.0 are down 1.5 units from your reference size, which means the minimum toe allowence of 1.5 units is gone. It's not a surprise that your toes were touching the tip of the shoe. But US 8.5 is hardly any better.

Expressed differently, you're not a D width in a common last. Try C or B the next time you're visiting a store. By the way, you can measure your foot length more correctly with AE's shoe sizing guide. Just substract half a unit from the results (because traditional devices such as Brannock or AE's sizing guide use 2 full units for toe allowence for some reason).

For Meermin's Hiro, that means you will die at least one death:
    • UK 7.5 is off in length (1 unit), but its probably about right in volume (maybe slightly tight).
    • UK 8.0 is better in length (0.5 units off), but it might be a little loose in volume.

It comes down to your personal preference which kind of mismatch is less important to you.

1 person likes this.
  4. razl

razl Senior member

Claus - I've read a bunch of threads on shoe sizing and this is the first time I've seen your input. Great stuff, and your site concept looks legitimately helpful (why didn't someone - or even the manufacturers - come up with this sooner?).

Maybe I'm late to the party and have just been missing you, but if you're not posting more, you should be.

5. Claus

Claus Senior member

Thank you. :)

Admittedly, my side has a usability problem. One has to know a bit about sizing to understand the rationale for a recommendation. I already have a new prototype running which will be hopefully more transparent, and easier to understand.

And there are brands which invest in this sort of thing. It's just not the kind of brands we discuss here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Senior member

@Claus: You mentioned units instead of length...how much is one (1) unit to you in your description to leetpuma?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. Claus

Claus Senior member

UK and US units are 1/3 inch which equals 8.47 mm.

8. Geran Brown

Interesting, I've never knew that until today. I'm going to try your website once I get my wife to trace my foot.

Where did you find this Unit measurement at because I can't find it anywhere?

9. Claus

Claus Senior member

Wikipedia's page on shoes size mentions that the UK system is based on Barleycorn. Three barleycorns equals 1 inch. The US system is a variant of the UK system. Overall, however, the page is a mess, and I think, much there is incorrect.

Thus, I corroborated the info from other sources I could get my hands on. For instance, in the "International encyclopedia of ergonomics and human factors, Volume 2" by Waldemar Karwowski [Ed.], one contributor writes:

William J. Bodziak, in "Footwear impression evidence: detection, recovery, and examination" writes:

Generally speaking, your shoes got their size because a master last is arbitrarily labeled, and then graded. The grading procedure works by appyling pre-defined differences. If you're into maths, shoe sizing is defined by the first derivative.

In practise, it's is a bit more complicated, but that's the gist.

To get back on topic, Meermin seems to follow the same formular I use. They are better in estimating shoe and foot volume, because I don't have many ratings and measurements for Meermin, yet.

10. Geran Brown

@Claus: Thanks for the explanation. I really do appreciate it :)

I really need to get my feet measured correctly because the AE store measured it at an 8D on the Brannock and Meermin suggest I get a 7D in all their shoes...lol

11. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Ok I'm sold. I need to get in on one of these MTOs :slayer:

12. abi1986

abi1986 Member

+1

13. Bluepilot

Bluepilot Member

Got my plum museums as well today. I'm very happy with it, no noticeable flaws. And as a little bonus a Saphir Medaille d'Or High Gloss wax in burgundy was included. Now I'm wondering, won't the colored wax obscure the 'museum' effect and should I use a clear wax instead?

14. Herr Brun

Herr Brun Member

I got two pairs of meermins this week (my third and fourth pair), dark brown quarter brogues on the olfe last and tan country calf longwings on the rui last. I was afraid the sizing would be off on the olfe last, but it seems to work out fine. They are both UK11, and the rui is a bit spacy, but not so much that it's a problem.

But there is another problem: they sent me the wrong shoe trees. They are marked 46/47, whereas my older ones are marked 44/45. They barely fit in the shoes, and getting them in is quite hard. Will this damage the shoes or make them crease weirdly? Or are shoe trees supposed to be a tight fit?

15. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

UK 11 corresponds to a Euro 46, so that should work. They're supposed to be snug. However, if they really are as tight as they say, they may stretch the shoe, although that's unlikely.

16. REguy

REguy Senior member

I'll stir the Meermin vs. Allen Edmonds pot a little :stirpot:

Polo has a great winter sale going, and I grabbed a pair of AE suede LWBs to use as beaters for $140. People complain about little imperfections, but Meermin produces shoes that absolutely blow AE out of the water in terms of quality, finishing, and styling. I know there are a lot of AE fans, but even with the upgraded features AE does for Polo (double soles, full insole, dovetail heel) these shoes are barely worth the $140. The fact that some poor saps actually paid the full retail of $525 is cringe inducing.

Others have had issues, but Meermin has always responded to my emails within a day and the shoes have always met my expectations. IMHO, Meermin represents the best shoe value out there. Anyone on the fence should take the Meermin plunge before buying AEs (or the infamous AE seconds). Just remember, a little patience is required.

1 person likes this.
  17. techaview

techaview Senior member

Well said.... Patience is what is needed to get value for money meermin shoes. I have ordered four pairs from them and since early dec and has only gotten 2 in before Xmas and 2 more are otw via ups before cny.

Although it a long wait but end day I know I am getting a quality shoe with the amount paid....

Now awaiting a MTO to be confirmed for my next pair.

18. Silhouette

Silhouette Senior member

In Sweden AE retails for ±$600 [​IMG] and cobblers and customers hold these shoes in high esteem.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  19. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

I have been debating purchasing these blue double monk straps (102341 - Navy Naturcalf handwelted double monk). Now I have to go through this thread and read all the opinions
    [​IMG]

20. p.henrik

p.henrik Senior member

The balmoral boot shell MTO is on! Pepe just confirmed there's enough dark brown shell.

He is also amenable to taking orders on both Olfe and Hiro, so good news for those of you who want Hiro.

I'm waiting for him to confirm if we can have multiple sole options, if not they will come with double leather, which I personally think is a good compromise for a dress boot.

I believe we are at least 8 members going for this now.