1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. stocken

stocken Active Member

And how do you start using un unbroken pair of shoes if not walk in em? I actually used them at home first for a couple of days to see if they would "addapt". Can't say the heel problem changed any bit any time.

I'm just charing my story

I'm in to meermin and like the idea of buying quality shoes for a lesser price tag, just hoped I would be able to use the shoes at least. This kind of disqualifies any future purchases!

2. JayH

JayH Senior member

How long did you guts wait for a RTW order?

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Just letting you know that dress shows, even ones that fit can hurt like a b**** during the break in process. Especially if double sole.

In fact, if they fit perfectly out of the box, they'll probably be too big after they break in

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. theNarcissist

theNarcissist Active Member

Placed my order on the 8th of sep. and got the delivery on the 1st of oct.

5. stocken

stocken Active Member

Can't really see how the heel slipping would stop after a break in period. I mean if the shoe is top tight then of course the leather will adapt, but that was not the problem in this case. Maybe I'm wrong...

6. SonofGoldman

SonofGoldman Active Member

Would be interested in burgundy or dark brown shell MTO olfe dub monks...

7. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

I wore my Church's Sahara out of the store in London went I first bought them. Had them on for a few hours walking around in London. They were killing me and I got huge blisters on both my heels, after a few wears the slippage is almost gone and they are super comfortable.

8. stocken

stocken Active Member

Well probably will try to wear them abit at the time at home and see if the slippage get's better

9. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

You are correct that I too have heels capable of blistering. That is exactly why I don't go for long walks in brand new dress shoes.

10. konda

konda Senior member

So not complaining or screaming "defect", but rather pointing out...Have worn my austerity MTO boots for 3 or 4 times. For the past week the shoes have sat in the dressing room in Bexley's shoe trees. This seems to be the first part where signs of wear appear. Still consider the shoes awesome and really have no complaints.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Your foot flexes when you walk, and it takes time for the stiff leather sole to loosen up and do the same. It's not just the upper that breaks in.

1 person likes this.
  12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I have exactly the same. I guess we should chalk it up to character.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Spring loaded shoe trees x heel stiffener.

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Nope, don't use spring loaded trees.

15. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Does anyone have a fit pic of the tassel loafer? I'm trying to figure out how long the vamp is. Thanks!

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

I'd say plastic heel stiffener x high shaft.

18. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

How widespread is the use of plastic heel stiffeners in shoes including and above loake 1880 and meermin?

19. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Loake 1880, Meermin etc and below=everyone use plastic heel- and toe stiffeners. In the mid price range with brands like C&J, Carmina, Church's and so on it's also very common, just in some cases that they use leather heel stiffener, still plastic for the toe though. Actually, even the finest RTW brands like Edward Green use plastic toe stiffeners as well, but leather for the heel (since the possibility to adjust shape better to the foot is more important there, one tend to take the extra cost of using leather at least there). But for example John Lobb Paris use plastic both for heel- and toe stiffener.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  20. chogall

chogall Senior member

Meermin Linea Maestro line uses pre-conformed leather heel counters and for the toe stiffeners they use glued fabric placed when lasting and formed when dry.

Mostly everyone uses heat formed (celestica?) toe stiffeners for mass manufacturing.