• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

abagg00

Reaction score
I had a quality problem with some LM black adelaide I ordered back in April. The stitching on the captoe wasn't straight on either shoe, and there were bumps (look like bug bites) on one of the uppers. I returned the shoes, but Meermin said they didn't think anything was wrong with the quality.

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stress testing.

looks like the lacing is open too much, forming a "V". Are they comfortable to wear like this?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looks like the lacing is open too much, forming a "V". Are they comfortable to wear like this?

The lacings do close down after breaking in as all new shoes do.

No, not exactly comfortable after walking several miles at Vegas, but the pain point is not at the vamp but at the pinky toe area. The discomfort is not from the insufficient instep girth but from toe box width.

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The lacings do close down after breaking in as all new shoes do.

No, not exactly comfortable after walking several miles at Vegas, but the pain point is not at the vamp but at the pinky toe area. The discomfort is not from the insufficient instep girth but from toe box width.

I had the same pain point on my New Reys. Went away after a couple of wears and the laces closed right down. With hindsight this should have led me to size down in Olfe :(

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics of the creases on the museum calf MTO. I'm not worked up about it or trying to warn anyone away from Meermin. This is just for everyone's information. I don't actually consider the creases on top bad, I just don't usually get a double crease like this. And the creases on the side aren't normal for me. I'm still happy with the shoes.

Once I read an interview with Chay Cooper of Alfred Sargent. In this interview Chay was asked to describe the difference between AS Handgrades and AS Exclusive. According the Chay the major difference is in the leather used. For AS Handgrades only one pair of shoes can be made from the single piece of skin while for AS Exclusive 2-3 pairs of shoes can be made from the single piece of skins.
Maybe that's why we see this creasing. Maybe we were expecting too much from Meermin especially since we wanted a new pattern. maybe it would have been better if we stuck with existing Meermin patterns. I do not know I am just trowing something new on the plate I guess. There are people more knowledgeable about this. I think Meermin shoes are good value, Unfortunately I did not get my sizing right so Hiro last was just a little bit narrow for me I may join chukka MTO if that's given a green light. I suppose if I order a half a size longer I can wear it with thicker socks.

Last edited:

marburymadison

Reaction score
What does the 'squeezing two to three' shoes out of each hide has to do with the 'creases' on the shoes?

Last edited:

coupas

Reaction score
I got the creases as well, not so much on the left as I got on the right one. I'm not too bothered with it, I did however got me a bit wary to continue order shoes from Meermin. They crease ALOT more then my others in the sam price-range: Loake and Cheaney.

I am still on the fence with Meermin from this experience. Too bad. I wonder what they did wrong to get this extra creasing on many of the MTO's.

Still a beutiful shoe.. but maybe it is time for me to move on.. I will watch this thread closely to see how other shoes, not neccesiraly MTO,come out. Is it a trend or just something with this particular MTO.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Dark Brown Museum Calf MTO Mk.II Update:

Hey gang,

Just heard back from Pepe. 8 weeks from the Tannery, 12-14 weeks after that for all the shoes to be made. So 20-22 week lead time.

Order for the leather has been placed.

Belts would be 95 euro (inc VAT) each. But Pepe needs to double check with the Tannery that they can source enough leather. So if the belts went ahead, they would most likely ship separately from the shoes. However they wouldn't need the 12 week lead time, given the relative ease of making a belt compared to a pair of shoes.

So for everyone interested in the belts, if they could post/PM me and I can give Pepe a rough idea of numbers. If you have already expressed interest in the belts, I've already noted it down, so no need to PM again.

Once I hit 25 orders I'll forward all of our details onto Pepe.

Still chasing the following members:

lychrychy
kwhunter
Fiestaplatyus

Thanks gang for all the interest so far.

Cheers,

Alex

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I will provide an update too
smile.gif

Plum Museum Calf MTO

Firstly, the leather for the museum calf has been ordered; this will expedite the order this time. Great response for this order as mentioned in my previous post; really appreciate those who are participating in this order.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Secondly, a few special details will be added to this MTO which will be revealed in the next few days; Pepe has agreed to this request and will make samples for us.

Hatchgrain MTO

Pepe has received samples from Horween and is planning to make sample shoes (chukka and wholecut) for this order.

With regards to the last; I have indicated a chiseled last is preferred for this order. There is a possibility that an entirely new chiseled last will be made for this order along the lines of the TG73 last and U-last. However, we are still discussing this as it will take some time as the process of creating a new last is quite intensive. I will update once we have any word.

For those who plan to join, email me at [email protected]. I will close the order on Friday and send out an email to all participants this weekend with all the details.

henrikc

Reaction score
Brand new pair, just unpacked them. Should the welt be so uneven? No such issues on my double monks, nor on the desert boots from the same order.

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brand new pair, just unpacked them. Should the welt be so uneven? No such issues on my double monks, nor on the desert boots from the same order.

I do not think that your shoes should be like this.
Seems that Meermin srsly needs to step up their qc.

striker

Reaction score
They even forget to completely remove the plastic wraps used to protect the uppers during the sole-ing process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads