1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mothon

mothon Senior member

I am in Oklahoma USA and I did not get hit with any custom fees on the one pair that I have received.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

price point?

and which carrier?

3. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Guys, just wanted you opinion.

For a chiseled last, which of three below do you prefer:
    1) Vass U-last
    2) Carmina Rain last
    3) Carmina Simpson last

Appreciate any feedback on this [​IMG]

4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I think Vass U last is the only one considered a chiseled last.

I don't think the Simpson and Rain on the Carmina are considered chiseled. But I might be wrong.

In any case, I think the U last looks more elegant overall.

Interested in hearing more opinions.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  5. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

I would agree U last looks best of the three, though something just doesn't seem quite right about how 'vertical' the walls of the toe box (and fwd of there) are.

The Carmina lasts don't have this 'issue' but don't look as good to me. (Simpson is my second preference)

6. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

U-last.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

U.

None of Carmina's last is anything special. And actually Carmina is best in being not standing out or having anything unique.

8. MRMstl

MRMstl Senior member

Carmina's last for the Armoury is chiseled. I like that one. pictured below. Vass U is also fine if that's what others prefer. Don't want to get distracted. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  9. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Maybe The Armoury guys worked with Carmina like how TS is working with Meermin.

10. burghler

burghler Senior member

Vass U-last on aesthetics alone...I hear (though I don't yet own a pair) that it allows more room for high insteps, which appeals to me especially.

11. konda

konda Senior member

Quite strong words. It is no G&G or EG but still I'd not agree 100%

12. chimaki

chimaki Well-Known Member

anyone get a tracking update lately? my status updated to order send it on 6/12 and an email saying tracking should be coming within the day, but so are I've got nothing.

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

How much do we get taken off for VAT?

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Outside the EU 21% off

15. konda

konda Senior member

And also that same 21% if you buy as a company in the EU.

16. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Not accurate at all. You should email for sizing guidance instead and they will suggest what size and last are appropriate for you.

17. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Guys,

Just got my hatchgrain doublemonks the other day from UPS. I was hit with $73 of duties, taxes, and UPS brokerage fees. So basically I'm in for $300 for the classic line, definitely pushing the boundaries, but yes, I suffer more for being in Canada.

So I have a couple of questions. The shoes are definitely a bit stiff, so even though the size feels right and my heel is against the heel of the shoe, when I walk I do get some heel lift. I'm wondering when the shoes break in if the heel lift will go away or if I'm better off, getting another hole punched on the straps.

Second, these are my first hatchgrain shoes I ever had and I noticed on one shoe there is patch of leather that is less polished and the texture of the hatchgrain is much more rough to the touch compared to other parts of the same shoe. Is this just natural variation in the hatchgrain texture, or was it just a bad polish job and can I fix myself with polish, or is this a bad patch of leather?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  18. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

Particularly with double leather soles, it takes a while to wear in and get the flex in the soles to get rid of that heal slip. If the shoe feels good now size wise, but there's a little bit of heal slippage, that's fine and to be expected. As they break in that will go away.

As for the texture/roughness, grain leathers will have some natural variation and depending on how the leather was stretched over the last some variation due to that. Give it a good going over with a brush first to try and even out some of the wax applied by Meermin, then you can try applying a light coat of your own wax polish.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  19. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

Looking at all three options, the U-Last by a country mile.

20. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

Well, I got the smalls and they look like they would fit a childrens shoe. Got the mediums, and they are still not anywhere near tight. Could try a large, but will most likely just stick with the AE shoe trees...