1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

No need to get overly defensive.

Meermin screwed up my pair for sure and I do think I have played around enough shoes and makers to tell what creasing are atypical. Just posting here for informational purposes as I did for my last MTO received October 2012 (with a partially new pattern/design btw).

That said, QA seems still all over the place from my other MTO order last year this time. Better at some places but worse at others.

p.s., comfort/fit is very personal and subjective. In other words, useless until more descriptions are provided.

2. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Standard price for a group MTO is 260 Euros including VAT. Museum was 330 Euros including VAT. Get your facts right before getting all shouty

3. timotune

timotune Senior member

the last one was also 340€ incl. shipping.

4. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

And the VAT.

For those of us outside of the EU, this MTO is 260 euro.

For 260 euro I don't think it's a fair comparison to 1000GBP+ shoes. If this round of the MTO works out as well as the last one I'll be a very happy man. I'm also hoping that Meermin learnt lessons from the first group MTO, and any mistakes (if made at all) are corrected.

1 person likes this.
  5. coupas

coupas Active Member

I just wanted to chime in and let it be known that I am pretty dissapointed in my museum calfs. The creasings are too much and in odd places. Places where none of my other shoes crease in. It's on the sides and diagonal over the vamp. It's not normal. They did something wrong in the production and they should acknowledge this.

6. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Very sorry to hear of those who are disappointed/unhappy/unsatisfied with there museum calf shoes;I understand the feeling if you get something that does not meet you satisfaction especially if you've paid good money for it [​IMG]

I would say that with regards to the creases, as some of you have pointed out, it may have to do with the leather used ie using all parts of the leather for the multiple shoes. Reason being, from the feedback I received some of you have reported getting shoes with no issues at all (including my pair) and some of you have received shoes with issues ranging from finishing to the creases in leather. I guess for those who have no issues with their shoes,we can be considered lucky.

I have talked to Pepe on this and he has assured me that he will look into this issue not only for museum calf MTO's but also all their ranges. Hopefully he addresses this issue as it is affecting Meermins reputation and will turn off current and potential customers.

So far, based on the postings in this thread and also from the emails I have received, there are 6 people who have complaints/issues with their shoes. I would suggest that you contact Pepe personally and highlight the problems that you have with your shoe; best if you send him pictures of the areas that you feel have issues. He is a nice guy who is eager to help. I am sure you guys can work something out with him on this.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Also, I hope for those contacting Pepe on the issues for their shoes, do make sure they are real issues ie weird creases/creasing, bad finishing etc. Believe it or not, I had someone complain to me that the finishing of his Meermin museum calf pair was not to the standard of his John Lobb shoes that he had [​IMG]

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Lol! Thanks for your input TS. Fwiw Pepe has already resolved my problem which he feels is due to the shoes being too big. This allowed me to change the size of my current MTO including ruling out getting them too small by sending me a trial pair to check size. I'm disappointed they creased as they did but I still really like them and enjoy wearing them. For those suggesting people are looking for Lobb quality at Meermin prices I would say only that 330 Euros isn't cheap for shoes. If it is for you, great! I'm happy for you but allow that for those who don't have your disposable income, paying that amount and waiting 5 months to get a less than happy result might lead to some complaints. Just my 2p worth

9. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

By the way, any word regarding the shoe trees?

10. konda

konda Senior member

^ get Bexley.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

Very expensive for US residents..

NVM. Roughly $105 for 4 pairs. Don't know why I remember them to be expensive when I got them back in the days. Maybe compare to JAB sales...

12. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Wouldn't you have to jump thru hoops to get raw cedar trees thru customs tho?

13. wqvong

wqvong Senior member

How do you guys get a trial pair? I am not sure what size I wear.

14. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Think they only did it for me because I already had another group order in.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Lacey Act passed in 2008 and I got my Bexley sized shoe trees several years before that.

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ironically, the cedar in question is undoubtedly from the USA, before being sent to China and made into shoe trees, then shipped by Frenchmen back to California and its bereaved relatives...

17. DavidLane

DavidLane Senior member

I have worked with leather for 10+ years, this is a separation between the flesh and skin. Most likely near a flex point on the cow. This can and does happen with all hides. They only way to know if the flesh is separated is if you bend the leather backwards, which is clear in the images above. The maker would need to have an understanding of hide cuts and flex points to predict this. It is likely that at no point would a worker bend the leather backwards to test this. The person clicking the leather and the person constructing the shoe, even at inspection it would not be common to check this.

I am in the next grouping for this exact shoe, and I am not worried in the least. Leather is a natural product and will have flaws no matter who tans the leather or manufactures the shoe. I would chalk it up to character, but that is just me.

David-

4 people like this.
  18. MRMstl

MRMstl Senior member

Amen, brother.

AKA shoo sprez

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

Well that's my point. New leather, inexperienced clicker. But it could and should be checked. Bending the eyelet tabs back and forth is one of the few tests to see the quality of the leather/shoes. And mine failed.

Completely unacceptable if my bespoke pairs turn out like this. But meh, its just some interesting MTO exercises with Meermin.

And you are right, it's "character", for better or for worse. Mostly worse.

p.s., for a list of checks on good vs bad quality shoes, check Men's Ex Ultimate Shoe Maintenance magazine special issue, page 104. Those "characters" are viewed as badly made shoes.

20. chogall

chogall Senior member