• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the quality of meermin leather? Corrected grain?

Are we talking Mezlan or Carmina quality?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the quality of meermin leather? Corrected grain?

Are we talking Mezlan or Carmina quality?
The Linea Maestro leathers come from some quality sources. I only have one pair at the moment in black Fruedencalf, the leather started out a little stiff and creased up quite a bit in the initial couple of wears but is starting to get more supple and better looking now. They also took a lovely shine for the first time recently too after a couple of times whare I felt I was flogging a dead cow. Can't speak to Classico quality

newtoshoes

Reaction score
I'm through with Meermin. My exchange pair still hasn't been shipped nor has my money been refunded. Meermin knew about the return on December 19, as soon as I got more info I returned the shoes on January 4 and they arrived on January 14. Promises about the shipping and/or more info about the current status were repeatedly not kept; no response for 12 days.

The often praised customer service is nothing more than a series of unkept promises and the obvious try to make the customer forget that he once ordered and paid for a pair of shoes at least in my case.

I find this very regrettable and hope that you are not facing similar problems with Meermin.

Best regards

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm through with Meermin. My exchange pair still hasn't been shipped nor has my money been refunded. Meermin knew about the return on December 19, as soon as I got more info I returned the shoes on January 4 and they arrived on January 14. Promises about the shipping and/or more info about the current status were repeatedly not kept; no response for 12 days.

The often praised customer service is nothing more than a series of unkept promises and the obvious try to make the customer forget that he once ordered and paid for a pair of shoes at least in my case.

I find this very regrettable and hope that you are not facing similar problems with Meermin.

Best regards

That is very unfortunate to hear. Hope you can have your issues resolved.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Been there, nice shop and neighborhood, you'll like it and they speak english.
The selection is good, don't know about VAT, which afaik is not deducted anyway, it's reimbursed upon leaving the country, but double check.
Carmina shop is also worth a look (or more
wink.gif
)

Yeah, when I've had it deducted when I leave the country in other EU countries, but I know some places just do it off the books (Spain and Italy more often in my experience). Didn't know if anyone had experience. Sometimes you also have what you bought with you in the airport to get refunded and I don't particularly want to carry on an extra pair of shoes lol.

I might stick my head in Carmina, but I probably have more of a Meermin budget!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Black shell cordovan cap toe! Amazing! I really hope they don't release a pair in brown or burgundy.

I finally think I'm going to take my first plunge with Meermin for these.

I've been sporadically following the thread for the better part of a year, so I'm already aware of niggles about delivery time (they say 25 days on the site, but I'll just consider it 30-45 days so I don't get frustrated) and that I'll probably get hit with $50+ for duties (@#$%).

It looks like thread wisdom is that the Hiro last is TTS. I'm a 10.5+ US (more like a 10.7 in my right foot) so I'm thinking of orderring the UK10 - what say?

Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger?

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally think I'm going to take my first plunge with Meermin for these.

I've been sporadically following the thread for the better part of a year, so I'm already aware of niggles about delivery time (they say 25 days on the site, but I'll just consider it 30-45 days so I don't get frustrated) and that I'll probably get hit with $50+ for duties (@#$%).

It looks like thread wisdom is that the Hiro last is TTS. I'm a 10.5+ US (more like a 10.7 in my right foot) so I'm thinking of orderring the UK10 - what say?

Anything else I should know before I pull the trigger?
Think the UK 10 should be a pretty safe bet in Hiro. FWIW remember that even if you get stung for $50 duty, that's more than offset by the VAT deduction. Total of Approx $430 shipped and taxed by my calculation. Just don't get trees!!

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Sorry for probably the umpteenth post on this, I couldn't quite figure out a consensus be searching the thread. I want to check my sizing for the double monks (Hiro last). I'm a 10.5D in basically every dress shoe I've ever put on (AE especially). Looks like on the Meermin size chart I want the UK 9.5, but most other size charts say that US 10.5 should be UK 10. Go with the UK 9.5? I really don't want to get the size wrong as returns seem like a huge hassle.

topos

Reaction score
Sorry for probably the umpteenth post on this, I couldn't quite figure out a consensus be searching the thread. I want to check my sizing for the double monks (Hiro last). I'm a 10.5D in basically every dress shoe I've ever put on (AE especially). Looks like on the Meermin size chart I want the UK 9.5, but most other size charts say that US 10.5 should be UK 10. Go with the UK 9.5? I really don't want to get the size wrong as returns seem like a huge hassle.

I am almost the same size as you (10.5 E in AE) and have a pair of Meermim bluchers (Ama last) in 9.5, and they're the right size. You can and should consult with them about it, obviously.

ktown

Reaction score

Last year I had the same dilemma as you. I wear an 8D AE PA. I kept going back and forth between 7.5UK and 7UK. I used Meermin's whole draw your foot on the paper thing. They told me 7UK. I was still uncertain and asked if 7.5UK would be better. Luisa said yes to the 7.5UK after I mentioned it. So in my mind I was thinking they will just say yes to whatever and won't agonize over sizing like the customer will. I kept thinking abou it more and settled on 7UK. I'd rather the shoe be a little snug than loose.

In the end, the length was fine, but the width at the ankle is too wide for me. I get heel slippage with the straps at the tightest setting, but it's not a huge deal for me. I wear them happily. It might just be that the last doesn't work well with my foot.

Also as has been mentioned previously, the quality control is not great. My left shoe out of the box didn't lay 100% flat on the floor. When I put both shoes down, the left shoe would wobble ever so slightly back and forth whereas the right one would stay flat. The left shoe is also the one that feels looser and has more heel slippage. My feet are symmetrical and I noticed these problems right out of the box before trying them on.

In any case, I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning the shoes (international shipping, extended wait times, etc). I just wear them and I like them.

ddsg

Reaction score

Definitely 9.5UK. I'm a 9.5D in AE and I find that the Hiro last in 8.5UK to be a bit roomy.

Sneakerzoom

Reaction score
My black calf oxfords on the Rui last arrived yesterday. Whilst it took two months from order to arrival, I'm glad I stuck it out.

I wanted to dip my toes in with the Classic, but now I've confirmed sizing (EEE fittings can be a pain) will take the plunge on a pair of the shell Linea Maestros.

Thanks for the lively discourse/recollections of your experiences, it was the push I needed to place the order.

[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads