Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

If you would mantain the original colour avoid using saphir cream too much, it is very pigmented.
    Use it only for scuffs, prefer lotion or renovateur.

I suggest you saphir polish in dark brown in the toe and heel and medium brown /mahogany mix in the rest oh the shoe.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

2. The Rural Juror

The Rural Juror Senior member

Good to know. Thanks!

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

Just use cream a shade lighter to preserve its original color. Or alternate between colors to create your own patina. Or warm polish the toes with darker shade for EG style patina.

4. konda

konda Senior member

I would use a light coat of renovateur every now and then as basic leather care and then just use Saphir's Medaille D'or polish in dark brown to polish the shoes. If you are in a rush you can also polish with renovateur or dark brown Medaille D'or creme.

This is what I do on all my dark brown AE shoes and also on my tan Meermins (not to mention the 4 pairs of burgundy shoes I have). Haven't seen any color change whatsoever. To really change the pigmenting on the shoes one really needs to grind cremes and polishes on them for quite some time longer than just putting on a single layer. A coat every now and then does nothing as it wears off anyways. To experiment I've also put some Medaille D'or creme in tan on my dark brown shoes only to find out that a single coat really does nothing.

For extreme cleansing you can use Saphir Renomat but this really removes everything and dries the leather. It is good if you have too much Chelsea leather food on your shoes. For a cleanse after a crappy, rainy and muddy day I personally just brush my shoes and remove stuck dirt with an antiseptic. Afterwards a light coat of renovateur or Medaille D'or creme depending on the shoe.

5. konda

konda Senior member

I'm re-posting my question about the york soles... Surely someone has some experience in these? Looking for pros and cons and are they in any way better than full rubber soles? This is the only detail that I've not decided on for my MTO so comments are very welcome and needed...

6. CanGren

CanGren Active Member

I emailed them after and got them to add trees to my invoice. It has caused issues with customs from people outside the EU, so you might be better off just getting a generic set.

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

They look nice, but since they clearly list them as not being lasted, I thought it wasn't worth the possible customs hassle. I can get similar shoe trees for less in the same way I get them for any other shoes I have.

8. Xancatrius

Xancatrius Senior member

Even with the sizes in stock and available on their website is it safe to say that one can expect a delay of well over 2 months?

9. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

It seems to hinge more on luck than anything else. I was able to get a substitute pair in a week while another pair has so far taken about 50 days and counting. If you need shoes quickly it would be a good idea to ask them what's in stock in your size and order if there's something you like.

10. proximal

proximal Member

Yeah, I ordered fro the Classic line on Feb 4 with the order "initiated" on Feb 7. That's it so far. Based on reading through this thread, I'll give it 2 months before I even bother contacting them.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Meermin shell longwings at 5 months with weekly wear:

[​IMG]

12. konda

konda Senior member

Look quite exactly as my AE shell longwings after 4-5 months and 2-3 times of wear per week. Perfect.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

13. CanGren

CanGren Active Member

I'm pretty OCD and I like to have matching shoe trees with the brand stamped on them, luckily I'm in the EU this year. Let's me avoid VAT with a Canadian credit card and I don't get charged duties/brokerage fees either.

For the people who also ordered the monks, did your invoice list them as "oxford marron" as well? Just hoping there wasn't a mix up because I've spent so long waiting for them. They're supposed to be here Monday/Tuesday [​IMG]

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

My shoe trees match each other, rather than the shoe brand, and that's enough for me. I can see the appeal, but when US duties/customs can turn them into $60 shoe trees, I see incentive for some of us to bail. I look forward to seeing pictures of your shoes when they arrive. I wonder if oxford brown means dark or light too.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

Meermin trees only works for its New Rey last and doesn't even fill Ben last. Not worth it.