1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Is that what that piece of plastic is in my pictures? Can I just pull it off?

2. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I don't know if you or anyone is in the position to have a conversation with Pepe about the QC issues. I understand that we may be a small sampling of the shoes that Meermin makes and ship but the things that I have seen are a little troubling. Some of the shoes clearly shouldn't have left the floor. I expect an MTO shoe to undergo a better QC process than a regular production line shoe.

1 person likes this.
  3. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Gyasih, I totally agree with you on this; I am lucky that my pair turned out ok;so did most of the others. But for those whose shoes have had issues, I can understand the concern and also them being upset about it. I honestly would be upset and disappointed too.

I actually emailed Pepe earlier to raise this issue; I may also speak to him on the phone regarding this. What I have asked from him is that for future group MTO's, stricter QC is applied to all the shoes sent out. I have raised the concerns of the issues found regarding the shoes and hopefully the QC will be improved dramatically not only for the MTO's I am organizing but as a whole. I think he would realize that existing and potentially new customers may be turned off by these issues and distance themselves from the brand which will not be great for them.

As such, for the plum museum calf MTO and hatchgrain MTO, I will send consistent requests and reminders to Pepe to check and ensure that the completed MTO shoes sent out are in good shape and has really passed strict QC [​IMG]

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, it really is an important issue. I was planning on ordering some Meermin shell cordovan shoes, but after seeing all these issues I think I'll take my business elsewhere. It's simply just not worth the risk at the moment. I bought the dark brown museum calf, and I'm seriously hoping they won't have any problems when they arrive.

5. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Is the medallion stamp off center, especially for the right foot shoe?

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Very hard to tell without top down view. It could very well be the camera angle effect.
    If all parts of the leather hides are efficiently used, the blemished and stretched/deformed sections will be included in the uppers. That's why for some top end shoes, only a pair or even a single shoes is made per hide.
    Heel, not normal at all. Shouldn't be that much of a problem unless you kick your heels a lot. Some cream or edge dressing will conceal it. Plastic, just tear those off. Completely safe. It's used to protect the suede when they sew on the welt and color the edges

1 person likes this.
  7. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Good call. Didn't catch that at first, got hung up on the welt. It's definitely off center. Had a hard time photographing it, but I can try to update with some more accurate photos after dinner.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks for the advice!

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Jeeze, these production issues are awful, and way too frequent. "You get what you pay for" is starting to become realized, once again.

In other news, going on 5-weeks now for the Austerity Boot MTO. Hopefully we start getting some glimpses soon [​IMG]

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Well, after my 3rd order from Spain I got hit with the dreaded duties fees from FedEx. For my 160 Euro pair of shoes the duty is $39.75. With shipping and duty fees this places Meermin in the $250 price range for their classic collection. I'm not sure that at this price point Meermin represents a real value and I doubt I go with Meermin for future purchases.

11. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

A few more in the spoiler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Top down with the whole shoe(s) so we can determine if its a lasting issue or closing issue by observing the alignment from heel center, lacing, through broguing and the toe tip.

If its crooked all the way then it's lasting. But if its crooked only at the medallion it's a closing issue.

It does look off center slightly.

13. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

They use great leathers from the best tanneries but with this kind of craftsmanship and QC, honestly it look more like a waste of good materials...

14. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Thanks, I really appreciate the help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

I was saying the same thing, my Museum MTO seems to be okay. I am giving them heavy wear to see, but all looks fine.

16. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

While I believe that some of the QC complaints I've read lately have been somewhat overblown (or even non-existent), others are definitely cause for concern. Especially when creating something special like an MTO, Meermin needs to ensure that the product that leaves their factory is top quality. As a relatively new company it runs the risk of being seen as a low cost, and low quality, provider. That would be a shame considering the quality of goods they usually create.

I've ordered four pairs of shoes from them and all of them arrived in great condition and still receive compliments when I wear them. However, I think that the run of MTOs that have been placed lately has overtaxed the company as when I inquired about getting a standard pair of shoes in a different color I was told that they were rather swamped at the moment. Maybe this is leading to a lack of QC overall. This is why, while I start to drool at the thought of getting in on one of the museum MTOs, I haven't taken the plunge. I think I'll wait till the rush is over then see about either joining in on a group order or starting my own.

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

I had two MTO from Meermin; one last year and one this year. It is really a crap shoot for quality.

That said, some of the issues are definitely overblown. Say, misaligned toe medallion, which runs rampant for EG, or say leather clicking, which runs rampant at C&J. I know people do expect perfection but then for all RTW or even for bespoke, perfection is only a goal but not reality.

1 person likes this.
  18. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

95 euro for a belt made from 15 euros worth of leather?

Thanks for investigating the belt option but I'm out.

19. tomrakewell

tomrakewell Senior member

On a positive note, I can report that my Museum MTO looks fabulous after a first heavy wear. I wore them yesterday 6am-6pm. Though slightly stiff at the inset, they fit me really beautifully and by lunchtime, they had softened to be one of the most comfortable shoes I have experienced on their virgin voyage. At the end of the day, I can report less creasing than I would have expected and only where it is expected. Wear to the sole is nigh ideal. This means that for my feet the Olfe is a great last. I would prefer a chiseled alternative with similar fit, but maybe that is on its way ....

20. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

I don't think misaligned toe medallions are an issue that's overblown, no one likes a pair of shoes that look cross eyed. I've also seen issues of Meermin not finishing the leather's raw edge on certain shoes, which even for florsheim a made in India brand is not having that issue.

Personally I think Meermin should take off some options from their MTO program and get the basics down perfectly first.

That being said, I'm out for the plum MTO. I'd rather wait for more constantly good shoes to come out of their shop.

1 person likes this.