Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

If there are different ranges with this evolvingly new company, would one stand to reason that there are shoes (some of those pictured, maybe) that are of equal quality to Carmina?

Carmina doesn't do the best finishing I've seen, but the shoes are solid and you definitely get bang for your buck.

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

So wait, if I wear a 12/12.5E in EG what size should I ask RDiaz to pick these up for me in, 11? :)

[​IMG]

FWIW I wear a 12 in Carmina and Magnanni.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

3. sartbaeklv

sartbaeklv Senior member

Sounds too good to be true... but going back to the original post. Is this a diffusion line from Carmina?

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

1. well done
    2. that's why i said it. no offense.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

Sounds like a son or cousin went into biz for themselves after working at Carmina. Could be wrong, tho.

6. blahgspot

blahgspot Well-Known Member

Sounds like an interesting development in Spanish shoemaking. I do, however, get that foreboding sense that they will go the way of most good Spanish manufacturers in which they eschew any marketing and brand development, assume that it is not worth it to pursue a market outside of the neighborhoods of their brick-and-mortar stores, and blame it all on the "Crisi'" (the economic crisis) while drooling, nouveau-riche "pijos" spend 400€ on a shitty, made-in-a-Chinese-sweatshop-in-Italy glued-together or blake-stitched Italian brand shoe at the Corte Inglés...

7. blahgspot

PS: Before I am lambasted by Spaniards, I regret to inform you that I am myself a Spaniard as well, and therefore am entitled to a healthy degree of cultural-self-hatred. Ahem.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

8. asturiano

asturiano Senior member

Well, if opening your first shop in Japan rather in your home market of Spain http://meermin.tumblr.com/post/14009066963/nuestra-tienda-meermin-en-aoyama-tokyo-meermin and being mentioned on specialized Japanese press (Last - Men's Ex) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262463427136858.57966.253664761350058&type=1 is the typical marketing development for an spanish company, I can only say vivan los culytural complexes!

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Jermyn

Jermyn Senior member

Should work perfectly. I will say that the limiting factor on most shoes for me is width.
    I usually have no problems with my toes. Meermin lasts are quite wide at the ball of the foot but then taper nicely.
    If length is a limiting factor for you then maybe my 'technique` won´t work so well.

I think that the Albaladejo family owns Carmina, Yanko and Meermin.
    Different branches of the family own the different brands but some family members may have provided capital and training for eachothers brands.

I´m half English, half-Spanish. I have to say that you see this in England as well.
    I work 5 minutes walk from Jermyn St, I´ve seen very few passable shoes and lots of expensive trash at my office.
    In both cases, it is the Japanese who keep the home-grown brands afloat.

There is a girl working at Edward Green on Jermyn St who scrapes by in English and is there solely to serve Japanese customers.
    Meermin opened boutiques in Japan and are featured in Men´s Ex (as well as having a copy lying around in the Madrid store).

11. Galix

Galix Senior member

Same at the Carmina boutique in Barcelona. One of the SA is Japanese and although she serves everyone, it looks like she's there because most of their clients are Japanese.

12. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

shoes look absolutely great! it's good to know that there are more choices out there that don't start near the $1000 mark. hopefully they'll branch to the U.S. in the near future

13. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

did you notice. no heel counter on the norweger. nice.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Quote: At least you see a few passable ones... I work at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and never see ANY nice shoes. At all. Not even the leading representatives, they're all wearing cheap looking beefroll loafers with their bespoke suits. Makes you wonder why do we need Carmina, Meermin or even Yanko stores around here...

15. blahgspot

Bizarre yet logical explanation... I must stop demanding that people be logical in their purchasing, and rather sit atop the promontory like a dandy plopped into a Breugel painting, while the masses eat each other... :spew: