Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

And yes, I think you hit the key differences in the lasts/styling. Part of me wants to wait until I can see one of the G&G skins in person, and perhaps try on a shoe on the deco last, before deciding. But it will likely be months before I can do that, and I don't want these just sitting there in the meantime. The other option is to just wear them until then, but then if I decide to get the G&Gs, the resale value of the Meermins will have declined significantly. It's a tough choice - I really do like these, but the G&Gs are kind of next level...but then they're much more expensive...if it were just a matter of the last and construction, I think I'd stick with the Meermins. But if the skins are also much superior, I might go with the G&Gs.

2. unbelragazzo

the Rains I have are 10.5UK as are these. Usually I'm a 11.5US. In G&G I have the Wigmore in 11 which fits well. But I have the Grant in 11F (because that's the width Bespoke England was carrying and they had a sick deal on them at one point) which is a bit wide and loose. I recently got C&J loafers and took a 10UK, E width.

3. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

How does one place an order from the website? Is emailing Pepe still required?

I'm very interesting in picking up a pair of monks. I'm surprised there aren't more photos here.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Ray is an amazing material. I think in navy it would be stunning.

Since we are talking price - would it be vulgar to enquire as to the cost from Mermin?

5. unbelragazzo

Nice! I've loved them since the moment they came in and haven't tired of them since. I look forward to wearing them for many many years to come. Probably my favorite pair of shoes that I own with the possible exception of the G&G wigmore boots.

6. unbelragazzo

I don't mind - including shipping but with no VAT they came to 500 euros. I ordered by emailing Pepe, who was extremely helpful, but this was back in February. It sounds like since then they've stopped taking orders over email.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks. I would keep them. perhaps first test the market and then go from there? also keep in mind itll probably be another year before you see a pair of G&G in this leather

Im a 11.5 in the G&G wigmore
    11 in Carmina INCA
    Ordered a 11.5UK in the new rey

based on your sizing pattern, my boot may be too big. heads about to pop from figuring out this last. :crazy:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Wow - what a sweet price for a pair of stingies!

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

outsole reminds me of Carmina

i thought ray would have more texture than this

10. unbelragazzo

That's what surprised me about it too. I don't know if it's because of how it's finished, this skin in particular, or just what ray is like. I think they look great in low light and at some distance (like at least a couple feet). In a lot of light they start to look a little plasticky. Definitely an evening shoe in my mind.

11. unbelragazzo

Definitely - one would be hard pressed to find a pair of well made stingrays for anywhere close to the price. That I know of at least.

12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Ray doesn't typically finish up with much translucency, except for the pearls (at least in my experience with using it for furnishings). Texture depends on how much the 'pearls' are rubbed/sanded down.

In any case - DEF an evening shoe. Not something to rock on the sidewalks of DC in broad daylight.

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i would contact pepe directly. he has been lightning quick to respond and is always very helpful. this has been my experience but im not sure if the website changed anything. from the feedback ive seen in this thread, pepe is holding off mto sales through email and instead is channeling buyers to the site. however the site is terribly lacking in its offering, particularly in the linea meastro line and shell cordovan. given all that, i would still try contracting pepe directly through the email address provided on the meermin.tumbler site

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

orly?

15. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

I got quoted for MTO earlier this week, haven't pursued it further yet though. Trying to decide on a shoe makeup.

Anyone know if they do wingtip boots or a shortwing blucher?