Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

monopoly- too lazy a writer and sure there are more

2. bespoken4me

custom shoes. i give up

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Mario: what about the turpentine in polish products made for calfskin? My understanding is that this expands the pores of the shell and causes it to lose some of the impermeable magic that is shell. The Saphir cordovan cream has a neatsfoot oil base for this reason.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  4. bespoken4me

kn
    I know you directed at Mario, so with apology, I have to jump in and agree with your concern. I t is an absolute no no , to use those creams and polishes- it will dry the leather and standard waxes will cover and seal the pores. ( An occasional wax won't kill it though) I have 12 pair of shells ranging from Alde, AE, C&J, to vintage Florsheim. AE has a specific cordovan cream, and I have used and don't like and goes against the orthodoxy that Alden recommends as well as Horween itself. Anything with turpentine will dry and destroy the inherent moisture in the shell and at some point you won't be able to revive. The video from one of SF's sponsor retailers, filmed at the famous shoe shine stand in San Fran, is illustrative of the 3-4 step polishing method. It too is on You tube. I have a pair of AE Mora's in shell, that didn't feel right from the beginning. After a while I started waxing them, just to get an immediate effect. Over time, they started bubbling- very minute pebble effect. The pores had been filled with product and the oils were trapped. The only fricking time I didn't follow the standard Saphyr polishing. 90% of the time, you should only use a warm wet towel, after the horeshair, and buff it out. Any further maintenance is to be used sparingly.

5. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

thanks - that will come in handy when the Carmina MTO arrives.

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

bespoken4me, I appreciate your first-hand experience.

I have had no such ill-effects using Lexol or Kiwi on my shell shoes. I've even SnoSealed my shell boots, the heresy!

Shell is still vegetable tanned leather, after-all, and can basically be treated in the same fashion.

Nick V. made a post once to avoid Lexol, but made no follow-up comments of substantiation, that I know of.

Regarding Lexol:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/293860/how-to-avoid-shell-cordovan-related/0_100#post_5842828

Regarding Kiwi:

It's part of the Mac method...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah what are you doing? You shouldn't be applied so much

C&J shell is so dry it's crazy, you'll probably be putting on reno before and after wears at the rate you are going with your Meermins

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Nice shoes Quad. Well done. :)

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

thanks.

wearing the brown ones today. They are a bit too long and I'm getting some minor heel slip. I'm guessing though when they start to soften up a bit, combined with a tongue pad, they will be fine. they do look killer with a dark navy suit.

10. bespoken4me

bespoken4me, I appreciate your first-hand experience.

I have had no such ill-effects using Lexol or Kiwi on my shell shoes. I've even SnoSealed my shell boots, the heresy!

Shell is still vegetable tanned leather, after-all, and can basically be treated in the same fashion.

Nick V. made a post once to avoid Lexol, but made no follow-up comments of substantiation, that I know of.

Regarding Lexol:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/293860/how-to-avoid-shell-cordovan-related/0_100#post_5842828

Regarding Kiwi:

It's part of the Mac method...

I have no disagreement with sparing use of kiwi, or Lexol for that matter. My warning is against polishes, creams, or conditioners that contain petroleum distillates, such as turpentine. Alden is, by far the largest purchaser of shell, and they adocate the treatment that Horween does. An occasional wax is fine, but shell is not simply a vegetable tanned leather, like calf. As a muscle, it is treated and fed oils much like bridle leather, ( so many other postings on this) and has inherent foaling wax that calf doesn't contain, so in that respect they are very different.. I would never treat shell the same as calf, but some areas of cleaning overlap, and as such aren't mutually exclusive. Lexol vs Saphir- sounds perfectly fine for cleaning, conditioning. The gist of the matter, is that shell should be minimally maintained. Water, deer bone ( which I don't use), and lots of horse hair, or rough brushing is the most important way to bring out weekly luster. Yes, it can dry if mistreated, but like calf- you never want to artificially enhance the look with over waxing- that will, over time assuredly kill it. So, no real disagreement. Thanks for the posting

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Have invoices gone out for the MTO?

12. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Not yet, Pepe is away until Friday.Plus he is waiting for news on the lasted shoe trees from Springline.I'll update you guys on the shoe trees and when he is sending out the invoices.

13. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

^^Thanks

14. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Just heard back from Pepe.They will be ale to make lasted shoe trees just for this MTO. it will be produced by a Northampton last maker (Springline if i'm not mistaken).A minimum of 12 pairs of trees for each last is required though.

It will be top quality, hinged lasted shoe trees.The price is EURO 75 (inclusive of VAT) and EURO 62 (VAT excluded).

Drop me a PM or email if you guys want the lasted shoe trees :)

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

pm dropped.

email sent.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012