• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds try and not finished.  Maybe you need to coat it with polish.  Just maybe.  Seems like the cordovan that Meermin uses has a very different finish compare to Horween cordovan leather.

Unlined leather/suede stretches.  Lined leather/suede behave similarly in my experience.

I am 9E UK on 337 C&J and 9E/EE UK on 7000/8000 JL, so my feet is about the same size as yours.  Pepe recommended me 9E UK for Ben last.  So it does need to be sized up for New Rey?

I don't know how that C&J fits compared to the 325 but my 9uk C&J onslow fit me well with a little extra width room in the forefoot area. The 9 New Rey is great lengthwise but pretty tight in the toebox and over the instep. I would size up a half but would slightly worry about them being too long

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, first pair of shell, but additional buffing was not helping and, in fact, made it worse. I'm not sure what Meermin does to finish the shoes, but the more I buffed with a horsehair brush and a cloth, the more color that ended up on the cloth and the worse the shoe's finish looked. While the second picture does not fully show it, I finally gave up on Renovateur because the finish of the shoe was startnig to lighten in patches and taking on a cloudy appearance that looked awful compared to how they looked out of the box.

Now, after using the Saphir cordovan cream, it has filled in all the unfinished places on the shell and additional buffing is making the shoe look better, not worse. You're probably right on the last picture, though, that there is considerably more buffing still to be done to get a better result.
This sounds very strange to me---much different than the Carmina-finished Horween shell I'm used to. It sounds like either a) the Reno was dissolving the finish and pulling it off too aggressively or b) for some reason it was blooming before your eyes, but rubbing it with a rag should have diminished that. Did you try just straight water and rubbing?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how that C&J fits compared to the 325 but my 9uk C&J onslow fit me well with a little extra width room in the forefoot area. The 9 New Rey is great lengthwise but pretty tight in the toebox and over the instep. I would size up a half but would slightly worry about them being too long

Therefore I would hate to size up on any shoes whose last does not conform to my feet; personally I do not like the feeling of heel slip or out of place arch fit. I don't need to be Cinderella's step sisters.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds try and not finished. Maybe you need to coat it with polish. Just maybe. Seems like the cordovan that Meermin uses has a very different finish compare to Horween cordovan leather.

It was very dry. In fact, in an area where the left shoe folded/creased, the finish rubbed off completely.

Quote:
This sounds very strange to me---much different than the Carmina-finished Horween shell I'm used to. It sounds like either a) the Reno was dissolving the finish and pulling it off too aggressively or b) for some reason it was blooming before your eyes, but rubbing it with a rag should have diminished that. Did you try just straight water and rubbing?

Meermin, unfortunately, does not use Horween for its shell supplier. After a few coats of Renovateur, the white creases that walking created would go away with brushing. Prior to the first coat of Renovateur, however, it was a disaster when I brushed the creases as the shoe's finish was literally coming off before my eyes. As mentioned above, there is still a small fold/crease on one shoe where the finish came off completely. While the applications of Renovateur took even more color off, they at least left the shoe looking less "dry" and prevented further instances of folds/creases causing the finish to come off.

I never tried water and rubbing because early on a few drops of water fell on the shoe and slightly discolored it. That went away with an application of Renovateur, however.

Overall, I'm happy with the shoes, but my experience has definitely been very different from the usual shell care posts.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the meermin sweet spot is LM's in Calf. The shell just doesn't seem to be on the level.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the meermin sweet spot is LM's in Calf. The shell just doesn't seem to be on the level.

Ahem . . . those were my words.
teacha.gif
And still believe it just as much today.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

But I think the problem does not lie with Meermin but its cordovan supplier. Horween seems to be the only viable option for shell cordovan...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Renovateur repeatedly on any shoe. Especially one whose finish is coming up. Renovateur is designed to partially strip off existing finish. So mutliple coats on new shoes could be counterproductive.

Stick with the Saphir Cordovan Cream Polish. It will get better.

As for the Mac method - it works great for Alden's shell shoes. But I've found my Carminas and CJ in shell simply needed some moisturizing - and the Saphir Cordovan Cream really did the trick for me.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn €200 more for Carmina shell it is then. (Or just get 2 more pairs of LM!)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn €200 more for Carmina shell it is then. (Or just get 2 more pairs of LM!)

I think it is probably worth it to spend the extra money for Horween shell. My Meermin's came to $450 including shipping and FedEx brokerage fees, which is only $100 less than I would spend for a pair of RL marlow's (C&J made Horween shell) and rougly the same price I can get AE shell for on sale. My next shell purchase is goingt to be a pair of RL Marlow's, so I can see what all the fuss is about for Horween shell.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Renovateur repeatedly on any shoe. Especially one whose finish is coming up. Renovateur is designed to partially strip off existing finish. So mutliple coats on new shoes could be counterproductive.
Stick with the Saphir Cordovan Cream Polish. It will get better.
As for the Mac method - it works great for Alden's shell shoes. But I've found my Carminas and CJ in shell simply needed some moisturizing - and the Saphir Cordovan Cream really did the trick for me.

I'm a slow learner
shog[1].gif
, but very pleased with the Saphir cordovan cream polish.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it is probably worth it to spend the extra money for Horween shell.  My Meermin's came to $450 including shipping and FedEx brokerage fees, which is only $100 less than I would spend for a pair of RL marlow's (C&J made Horween shell) and rougly the same price I can get AE shell for on sale.  My next shell purchase is goingt to be a pair of RL Marlow's, so I can see what all the fuss is about for Horween shell.

I'm in the UK so I pay the VAT but no duty. My Norvegesse cost about $500 delivered but a pair of cordovan indys I ordered then cancelled were gonna sting me over $800 and that was with free shipping! Ach who needs shell anyway?!

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like the "hard" shine of the cordovan cream. I think it detracts from the shell's natural luster, which is part of what it makes it special. YMMV

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use Kiwi on it to polish like you would a calfskin shoe. I have polished all my shell shoes with Kiwi polish wax with great results.

I'm going to repeat myself here ^.

If it's dry, then condition it. No need for botique products (Saphir); honest leather cream or conditioner from a local B&M will be more than adequate. Then for a shine, hit it with Kiwi. I bet I could get those puppies runnin' with some elbow grease.

I personally don't like the "hard" shine of the cordovan cream. I think it detracts from the shell's natural luster, which is part of what it makes it special. YMMV

Depends on who finished the shoes. Alden shoes are finished to a much glossier "luster" that is easily maintained. Allen Edmonds shell is devoid of luster in my experience with Leeds and Wolverine 721 LTD's. Both Horween, obviously, but finished differently. Again, nothing some Kiwi can't remedy...

Last edited:

bespoken4me

Reaction score

+1

But I think the problem does not lie with Meermin but its cordovan supplier.  Horween seems to be the only viable option for shell cordovan...

That is the self evident answer. No one had ever done shell before, nor after Arnold Horween- dating back to the 30's. Talk about a natural monoploly, and one without barrier to competition. The owner of Vogel Bootmakers in NYC, arguably the finest dressage and equestrian bootmaker ( and great customs shoes for that matter at great prices) once said that Horween is purely artisinal and proprietary.
To understand their methods of tanning, use of vegetables oils and tallows in finishing their hides, is impossible. You would have to be an industial spy, or mole to really 'get" the process. I've been to the plant, You Tube has the video tour of same, and it really is all about some " Colonel Sanders" recipe. Machines and shop floor are ancient, and they have no desire to expand. That said, the Argentinian makers are trying similar but not exact methods and product that are unique to Horween. They will find their own way but likely never going to be the same- and they are not new to this either. The shell in Meermins should simply be looked at as something slightly different. I have seen up close as my friend owns a few pair and he actually prefers as it is lighter, more pliant. The shoes do not, however, leech out the wax and oils over time as Horween does.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads