1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Definitely need to be patient - my order was initiated on the 5th Feb and was only sent out by them on 22nd March.

If you are impatient by nature you'll have to learn to chill - for my experience, one pair was ready for shipment (after the 30 days wait) however the other pair I had ordered had an additional 15 days wait so I ask for an alternative model in my size.

I've gone for x2 dub monks in the classic line, one dark brown the other dark brown suede :slayer:

Looking forward to getting them - anyone here had any import tax issues with receiving in these in NY?

2. Jazz3Pickz

Jazz3Pickz Active Member

Patience is definitely the key. Just hope you don't have to wait as long as I have. I ordered a pair of dub monks on December 24th, and I've yet to receive them.

3. 900s900

900s900 New Member

I am looking for a new pair of meermin and i'm interested in something causal (brown calf etc), perhaps a derby?

Any tips? I use Loake Aldwych today and i like that last. Any recommendations?

4. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I agree with the need to be patient but that may be a little too patient. Have you contacted anyone at the company to ask what the deal is? I ordered two pair on Jan 12th, had to change up one pair to another model to get them in time for a trip after about 40 days and finally received the second pair around 60 days after ordering. Even so, I don't think my order would have come as quickly as it did if I hadn't started politely emailing them asking about progress and letting them know my needs.

I'm a big fan of Meermin's quality and service but they absolutely must do something about these delays.

5. ktown

ktown Senior member

I don't mind waiting about a month, but any longer than that is a bit much. I ordered a pair on 2/26. On 2/28 they said the shoes are in production and they should ship in 15-20 days. I sent over payment for the shoes on 3/20. I emailed them yesterday (3/24) to see what the status was. I have not heard anything yet.

6. Grytter

Grytter Well-Known Member

Yes the option is to raise the prices...do we want that? No...so please dont complain about waiting time. Jesus...

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Pray that you never get the Alden bug. The wait times for some of the special make ups are really long.

8. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

Not necessarily even special make ups! How about 16 weeks wait having paid in full up front, no updates on progress. I'll take Meermin all day long over that carry on

9. poodoodoot

poodoodoot New Member

I hope they do well. I don't anticipate that it will be a true wholecut. I think a real wholecut takes about 9 weeks to stretch over the last. If their current lag times are any indication it would take them about a year to make 1 pair of shoes.

I'd consider the 101482 if it came in the other shell colors. I feel that the black is too formal.

10. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

I don't think that politely asking for the status of an order that's three months old is complaining, nor do I think that it would be such a bad trade-off to pay a little more for more reasonable turn-around times. As it stands, I believe that Meermin's quality, design and service makes them worth at least twice as much as they sell for. Bumping the price by 10 euros or so wouldn't break the bank or make the shoes substantially less desirable. If you don't agree, that's fine but I'd rather the company raise prices a little bit and stay in business than continue to keep customers waiting so long that they give up on them.

Of course that's based entirely on your supposition that Meermin would be required to raise prices to increase production. Personally, I was taught in my econ classes that increased production led to efficiencies that allowed for lower prices and greater returns. Perhaps basic market theories have changed since then. [​IMG]

11. Jazz3Pickz

Jazz3Pickz Active Member

Yes, I got an e-mail in January, which told me of quality control issues and that it would take another month to produce the shoes. After a month I e-mailed them and was told they needed another month. I have e-mailed them again now and I'm awaiting their response.

I agree, it's frustrating getting told every 30 days that they need another 30 days instead of just telling the customer that they will likely have to wait 3 months.

12. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

I actually ordered the 101482 without the broguing on the cap - I need a plain black cap toe oxford, and I love cordovan. You could always pay the extra EUR100 and get it MTO.

13. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Senior member

In my experience you can have an existing model made in a different colour without incurring the MTO upcharge. That may not apply to shell tho. Email Sandro or Luisa and ask

14. kcox68

kcox68 Senior member

That sounds horrible. Sorry you're going through such agony to get a pair of shoes but I can say that they are worth the wait if you can hang on. I have an email into them now regarding my second order that was promised by the end of the month. If they can't deliver, I'll be forced to purchase a similar model elsewhere and cancel with Meermin. It's a shame considering how much I love their shoes but these delays are going to cost them business.

15. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

While I wouldn't care for the wait, I do appreciate companies that won't ship product unless it passes quality control. I wish Alden would follow suit.

16. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

For what it's worth, I ordered a pair of the standard brown double monks on March 12, got a request for payment on March 18 with the notification that they would ship in 12-15 days. Then a confirmation of payment two days later. Haven't received an update on shipping yet, but I'm still not in the 12-15 day window they told me. Out of curiosity does that window typically mean calendar or business days?

17. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I'm working on a database of sorts for providing a very, very rudimentary guide to sizing questions that we see so often on this board.

With that in mind - can those of you who are familiar with our beloved Alden (since so many of us wear it), C&J, or others like EG, JL - please state your Brannock ("true size") as well as the sizes and perhaps a brief description of how they compare to the Meermin ones.

I'll start:

Brannock: 9D
    Alden Barrie: 8.5D (always a little bit snug in the toes for me, width wise, but not ball)
    Alden Trubalance: 8.5D (practically perfect)
    Alden Grant: 9D (felt a tiny bit roomy, but its a shell boot)
    Alden Plaza: 9D (love the fit, a touch longer)
    Alden Aberdeen: 9D (in the loafer/tassel variant, fits well)

MEERMIN HIRO: 8UK (a little loose on the instep, a tiny bit long; 8.5UK was reommended but way too big).

18. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Brannock: 9D
    EG 202, 606, 82, 64, 184: 8.5
    EG 888: 8.5, but a bit tight
    C&J 337, 341, 325: 8
    C&J 330: 8, but a bit tight
    Alden Leydon: 9
    JL 7000, 9795: 8
    Meermin Hiro and Rui: 8 (Hiro is slightly low on the instep, but it's OK after a few wears).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  19. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Thanks for your input - how do you view the difference between the Hiro and Rui as far as toebox goes? I'm going to start a new thread soon. I'm gonna try to design an easy to use, standardized way of providing a visualization of the relationships between the different lasts and how people feel about the sizes...

20. poodoodoot

poodoodoot New Member

/9
    I think I'd like to do that. Part of me wishes I had tried that first. We will see how my MTO pair come out and perhaps decide on another pair at that point? Perhaps the wait will be too long and I'll end up buying and waiting for both.

Do you happen to have the email of Sandro or Luisa? Or can I just email Pepe about it?