Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. konda

konda Senior member

What's the upside in a grp buy?

2. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

cheaper! we got a great deal on our last one.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Well, 5 months after first placing my order for the shell PTBs that ended up having the finish issues, I finally got my money back.

Obviously I was disappointed in the finished product, and wish their quality control had been a bit better. I haven't seen anyone else have the same problems to the degree my shoes had them, though, so maybe my experience was a fluke.

The long turnaround time on everything was a pain, too. It took longer than expected to make them, longer than expected for me to receive them, longer than expected for them to be returned and processed through customs and for my refund to be processed. I don't fault Meermin for any of that; it's just the downside of doing business overseas like this.

I still think Meermin offer a great value, and wouldn't be opposed to owning some of their non-shell shoes in the future (I don't trust the shell they use or the way they seem to go about finishing it). I probably won't order any just because of the hassle with shipping and customs and the like, but I bear them no ill will and hope they keep growing the business. Five months is just not worth the $200 savings over AEs or Aldens or other options that are available in the US.

4. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

yeah the down side of buying shoes with Meermin

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I like my burgundy shell longwings, but do not think they compare with AE and Alden shell. And, at $450 with brokerage fees, they're not that much cheaper than AE shell on sale. If I buy more shell, I'll probably spring for AE or the RL Marlow. I think Meermin's real sweet spot is the Linea Maestro line in calfskin: great price for a high quality shoe. That's my next Meermin purchase.

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Caveat emptor, I waited several months for my Aldens that I just sent back last week for repair several weeks after receiving. I believe they were a bit more than $200 over what you paid, likely, too.

7. konda

konda Senior member

Care to throw in a ball bark figure here or by PM?

8. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

I personally think their MTO program is great, one for price, two for flexibility, and three for quality. That is their sweet spot for me :)

9. I am a lion

I am a lion Member

They look a little boring too, do they liven up after a few polishes?

10. konda

konda Senior member

Heh don't knwo yet. It has taken me 6 months to find my last and size so haven't done any polishing yet. Only judging by the ones I've seen live and on others' feet.

11. Zarium

Zarium Senior member

Broguing on the throat? Do you mean that strip that separates the captoe from the rest of the shoe?

If so, there are plenty of brands that do so. Crockett & Jones for one - their Belgrave especially, a very fine shoe.

[​IMG]

12. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was the stitching line near the laces. Instead of the stiches, it's a broguing line. Maybe my picture was not the best picture but you can google John Lobb Phillip II for better picture. :)

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

It's like a hybrid punched-cap-balmoral and adelaide. Never seen it before, but I like it - a good suggestion!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

14. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

I agree, and for that wish to apologize to Quadcammer.

15. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

They really are gorgeous and am assuming the Riu last? a little rounder toe box than the Hiro, but either way, you scored on both, last, design etc... I know the "planta paloma" generally refers to the sole treatment, but yours have that nice lacquer finish in the style of Bontoni and Berllutti. Is the Planta finish also inclusive of the treatment of the uppers? beautiful, beautiful choice for MTO