Meermin Mallorca Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by asturiano, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Meermin

Meermin Affiliate Vendor

Good evening Sirs,

We are now offering a pair to our Styleforum friends!

A single pair of Meermin Double monks made to Linea Maestro standards + Free shoe trees.

Details:

Style: Cap toe double monks
    Last: Hiro
    Size: 7.5UK
    Upper: Dark Brown Naturcalf (Tannerie d'Annonay)
    Lining: Dark Brown calf
    Soles: Double leather soles
    Buckles: Solid Stainless Steel
    Construction: GY2 - Handwelted
    Sole finishing: Planta Paloma '7 clavos'
    Shoe trees: Free for this offer

Check it here!

Thank you all for your support & interest.

- Meermin -

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

I think you are missing ~10% custom duty on your final USD price so it brings it up to ~$580.

I love my pair of Meermins but would probably need Pepe to do some last adjustments for my next pair. Not sure how much they charge nowadays but they did offer such service for a very low price.

Vass is about $650 all in with lasted trees via proxy; duty free.

The only downside of Meermin LM MTO is the lack of lasted trees.

3. bespoken4me

bespoken4me Senior member

I've heard about the custom duty fees, which have affected some buyers in different states/cities through the fed ex chain. I have never been charged the import duty, ever. I live in Miami an cannot speak to those who have been charged. I have purchased from Italy, Sweden ( retailer of Carmina), Carmina themselves through the Paris shop, and a couple Northhampton dealers of C &J, and Lobb. I've never been charge a duty fee.
    The whole proxy biz is great, if you have a good one. Ascot has good pricing on Vass, as does Vass himself, through his website; however, generally, Vass is generally much more than Meermin- justifiably so.
    As a US purchaser, without the benefit of a proxy, Vass pricing and Meermin aren't close-- at the MTO level, we've been discussing.. I agree wholeheartedly regarding lasted trees, but have gotten over that also. Cedar trees with seperators can be had for $9-14/ pr on Sierra. I don't think the shape, creasing or holding of form has suffered with my shoes. Having said that, I still prefer lasted for obvious reasons but find that to be the point at which I won't pay an additional 60-100 eu.
    I just pre ordered from Epaulet a pair of Carmina wholecut medallion toes ( have yet to receive), and at $580 Mike does a great job with the packaged MTO. You get trees, but aren't lasted

4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I've been hit with the fee twice (Boston Ma)

5. bespoken4me

I've been told that the reason for the duty charge is that there is no reason. I read a prior post regarding this with a Meermin shipment, and the question centered on office vs. residential receipt. Never having been hit before, I contacted Pepe at Meermin, who told me that it depends not on office/ vs residential ( which makes complete sense), but maybe on carrier location. Essentially, there is no good guidance. I have probably jinxed myself now and want to thank you in advance if this occurs to me on current order. I will say though, two friends who have also purchased Meermin have never been charged a duty. I have no clue, but would certainly agree that it needs to be considered. F ME! I now know my MTO order will get hit and I will find you Frankie. Where in Boston did you say you live? street , house number, bars you frequent, family member names?
    Contact Pepe on this. He too knows that a % have been tagged and may give you a more detailed explanation or trick of trade to avoid. I too would be severely disjointed if, in completion of transaction, got hit at the end.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Ascot is extremely overpriced for Vass, almost doubled Vass's MSRP. Forum proxies is much much more reasonable at $650 USD all-in. Meermin MTO'ed with NW3 price is almost the same as Vass (420 EUR Italian FUK last, 390 otherwise, additional 25EUR for trees, no shipping, VAT included).

Custom duty is almost a guarantee if shipped via FedEx and UPS. It's always better w/ EMS/postal.

7. bespoken4me

I can only speak for myself, no duty. At that price point with Vass you are correct, and I would go Vass , no question. I know, through the site, of a couple proxy intermediaries. I didn't know they were at the ready to help purchase the shoe. I bought through Ascot once and Sammy knocked the price down quite a bit throught the store/ paypal route, but not THAT low.

8. bespoken4me

Is Tombrone one of the proxy buyers?

9. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Fedex tagged me. Beacon Hill area here in Boston.

10. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Received my Norvegese MTO pair today. Pics to follow tomorrow. In the words of one Monty Burns...excellent.

11. bespoken4me

Did you pay an import duty?

12. bespoken4me

You are Fennoscandian, import duty won't apply. Look forward to pics and how you rate the weld stitching

13. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

Bummer. This means I'm going to get dinged.

15. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Got in contact from Sandro, the contact is getting better. Love these guys.